Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Just noticed this thread, seems there are a lot more requests than feedback as previously noted, but thought I'd stick another one in. I'll try have a listen to a few when I'm back from work and post what I think. The idea of a forum for this would be pretty cool too, but it might get a bit overswamped with one or two post threads.

Anyway.

The song is a recording of my band, our first proper recording after being together about 6 months. The drums, bass and rythm guitar were recorded on a Fostex multi-track (close mics for kick, snare, toms and guitar, two OH mics and DI bass), the vocals and lead guitar were recorded on Cubase where it was mixed and mastered.

Its pretty much a finished product, currently got it on our Myspace and it will be part of a demo when we get more songs finished, but I might do a few tweaks if we decided to put it on a cd to sell at gigs, so any feedback would be great.

let the light shine on.

• Members

Hey,

I'm getting to the end of recording and mixing our EP and i'd really like some feedback before the mixes go out to mastering.

Its melodic metal, and is mixed with headroom. The gang chants need sorting out and the guitar leads are beign re-amp'd at the weekend

Anything you can hear in your speakers/phones that i can't in mine? Anything I need to be aware of with the mix to make it easier for a better master? (hope that makes sense, my brain is fried!)

CLICK HERE

I'm using Pro Tools MPowered (nooob with it still) delta 44 Omni, Tannoy reveal 5a, beyer dynamic DT150

We recorded it all ourself so any tips/advice is welcome!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It sounded pretty well mixed. The bass aspects of the song should be brought out. The bass line sounded a bit like grinding gears, but without the depth. The guitars were very dominating, which is how songs like this are usually mixed, I usually have an equal balance between the bass and guitars. The solo sounded like it had a latex film over it, I knew what it was but I couldn't enjoy it as much.

It sounds a lot better than how mine usually turn out. I'm usually mixing a kind of techno folk-punk kind of sound, and I'm always dealing with strange walls within the recordings, and vocal mixing issues.

• Members

I would love some feedback on our recording. there are 3 songs on reverbnation and 2 on Myspace.
http://www.ReverbNation.com/FiVe0SiX

It depends on what you are using this record for. It's very clear, and you can open the parts. The songs sound good in terms of songwriting and the parts being played. It makes a good demo.

Now for the part that pisses people off - what I would personally want to improve if I were recording it. If it were for commercial release, then I would say that there doesn't seem to be a sort of "gel" that glues the whole thing together, as if they are recorded in different spaces.

The guitars sound like they were recorded direct, which is not personally not my favorite sound, but this reflects my bias more than anything else, I suppose.

I don't know what to say about the bass, but it sounds "odd" to me, but I can't define it further, but it sounds "fake".

And finally, the drums could use a lot more body and presence. They frequently sound like they were recorded in an adjoining room with the door open. The snare sounds "tappy" (not full-bodied) and disembodied from the recording, and the cymbals sound washy, ill-defined, and the toms sound anemic. Actually, the drums sound anemic in general. I don't know why the cymbals sound the way they do, but I'm not getting a strong sense of overheads gluing the whole thing together and giving the drums cohesion, and the snare and toms sound like they are predominantly close mics. In some of the songs, notably the second one, I might be inclined to sink the snare back in the mix a little more and give it a touch of reverb to get it to "gel" with the rest of the kit and the mix in general a little more, and maybe compress the overheads or the drum buss a little bit to try and make it glue together a little more. Actually, you might want to do a drum/bass buss and glue that together.

And finally, the vocals are nice and clear, but for some reason, they don't gel sonically in the mix. I feel like they sort of "stick out" sonically. The screamed vocals in "Bruised" seem to fit in more. I don't know why I feel this way about the vocals, but maybe it's a combination of EQ to allow the vocals to "sink in" to the mix a little more, and maybe a little reverb in the mix in general to try and have everything gel and give it the same space more.

I don't do these reviews very often for several reasons:

1.) I haven't had decent computer speakers in quite a few months

2.) I rarely have extra time to give feedback

3.) I'm extremely demanding on what I want out of a recording, and I'm always toughest on myself, and I'm concerned about pissing people off. However, you're from Illinois, and I grew up there, and your songs show a lot of potential. Best of luck with your music!!

• Members

Hey everyone, I hope my post isnt too buried in this thread for anyone to see it, but I'll give it a shot. Could you guys please listen to the last two songs on my myspace? I recorded them on my Tascam DP01-FXCD using an SM57 for vocals and Oktava m319 for the guitars. I've been using the tascam to record for several years. The song Bigger Than Before features my first foray into the use of compression so I think my application may be a bit off, but that's for you guys to let me know! Yes I know there is a bit of clipping, but I kind of like that dirty sound

http://www.myspace.com/andyulseth

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Hey everyone, I hope my post isnt too buried in this thread for anyone to see it, but I'll give it a shot. Could you guys please listen to the last two songs on my myspace? I recorded them on my Tascam DP01-FXCD using an SM57 for vocals and Oktava m319 for the guitars. I've been using the tascam to record for several years. The song Bigger Than Before features my first foray into the use of compression so I think my application may be a bit off, but that's for you guys to let me know! Yes I know there is a bit of clipping, but I kind of like that dirty sound

http://www.myspace.com/andyulseth

Thanks in advance!

Pretty good recording and okay mix overall. Vocals are a bit too forward in most of those songs as well as overly sibilant. I'm definitely not a fan of the clipping in "When You're Older" and "Bigger than Before" at all; on both songs it sounds jagged and improper.

Give me drums on at least one song...?

• Members

Wow, what a site, very nice and the chance to show off to yet even more people, ok so here is AeaeA's First song, this was written in the UK on a crappy little Home PC, using FL Studio, and believe me it ground the PC to a halt at times, All the instruments are VST's, once the song was done and the lyrics Written in the UK, it was then Emailed to the USA where Rebecca took it into the Studio and laid down the vocal track, and finally it was mastered by a wonderful engineer called Paul Mocadlo, the Video for the song was done on the same home PC here in the UK using Cinema 4D, and Windows Movie Maker, oh and about 20 hours of solid rendering and editing.

and what you here is what we ended up with, i know the genre isnt going to be everyones taste, but i am more interested to know what you guys think of the overall product, and dont worry , i have a therapist standing by :).

Michael from AeaeA

here is the song, its the only one on there so it should play automatically

myspace.com/aeaeamusic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It sounded pretty well mixed. The bass aspects of the song should be brought out. The bass line sounded a bit like grinding gears, but without the depth. The guitars were very dominating, which is how songs like this are usually mixed, I usually have an equal balance between the bass and guitars. The solo sounded like it had a latex film over it, I knew what it was but I couldn't enjoy it as much.

It sounds a lot better than how mine usually turn out. I'm usually mixing a kind of techno folk-punk kind of sound, and I'm always dealing with strange walls within the recordings, and vocal mixing issues.

thanks man,

Its all done now,

Go to our myspace at - WHISPER IN THE RIOT CLICKY

4 tracks are up for another couple of days and i've put up a big old recording blog you may or may not be interested in

go check it out and let me know your thoughts!

thanks

Andy

• Members

It sounds really great on my speakers here. You can hear the mic, but you get over it right away.

Excellent tune. Nice harmonies, a good solid representation of your aforementioned influences, and the melody sticks with a person. Good job.
:thu:

I'm way late on this, but thank you for the kind words. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Would you guys please critique the mix and mastering more specifically during the flute and horn solos.

Sunday Morning News

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=68535

u87 flute

AEA r84 ribbon on flugelhorn

pair m160 overhead on drums, sm57 snare, MT88 on kic

TLM49 and AKG480 on upright bass

guitar was direct into a Demeter tube DI

Recorded on a Korg 32XD mastered on a Finilizer Plus 96k

DAV Broadhurst preamps

This is my second recording project cd.

Thanks everyone for your help..

• Members

Hey Everyone!

Head over to www.soundclick.com/BEFOREANDAFTER for some before and after examples of my mixing and mastering work. New songs/examples are added weekly and they just keep getting better and better :)

Looking more so to just showcase my work, rather than get a bunch of critiques.

Thanks for listening!

Kyle DiSanto

Mixing, Mastering and More!

Kylesoulwound@yahoo.com

• Members

Would you guys please critique the mix and mastering more specifically during the flute and horn solos.

Sunday Morning News

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=68535

u87 flute

AEA r84 ribbon on flugelhorn

pair m160 overhead on drums, sm57 snare, MT88 on kic

TLM49 and AKG480 on upright bass

guitar was direct into a Demeter tube DI

Recorded on a Korg 32XD mastered on a Finilizer Plus 96k

DAV Broadhurst preamps

This is my second recording project cd.

Thanks everyone for your help..

-Great recording in general, though your gear isn't exactly hurting you here... I can hear some very slight overly resonant tones on the upright and a little too much distance for the horn. It's very minor, but since you have reverbs running on this I'd go with something more focused before I hit the FX. Low ratio compression on the bass could help even it out.

-I'd also automate the overheads slightly as the player is quite busy on his cymbals and it's a little much the whole way through.

-There's some bothersome high end on the upright around the entrance of the horn solo that stays throughout the rest of the song.

-Guitar could also use a little leveling out too.

-Flute gets pinched at 4:26

Remember that you're only easing dynamics along in this situation as the performances did a lot of that for you. I'm so used to 15 dB of GR on vocals that it's ridiculous; thanks for this inspiring recording.

• Members

-Great recording in general, though your gear isn't exactly hurting you here... I can hear some very slight overly resonant tones on the upright and a little too much distance for the horn. It's very minor, but since you have reverbs running on this I'd go with something more focused before I hit the FX. Low ratio compression on the bass could help even it out.

-I'd also automate the overheads slightly as the player is quite busy on his cymbals and it's a little much the whole way through.

-There's some bothersome high end on the upright around the entrance of the horn solo that stays throughout the rest of the song.

-Guitar could also use a little leveling out too.

-Flute gets pinched at 4:26

Remember that you're only easing dynamics along in this situation as the performances did a lot of that for you. I'm so used to 15 dB of GR on vocals that it's ridiculous; thanks for this inspiring recording.

Great summation-!!

I am in a live room 20x30x12 and NEED help with how to use bleeding as a plus to the recording. This is my second cd project and rack my brain on how to isolate more, to make the room I have work for me???

Because of the bleed, when I move one fader it also changes the level of the next closes instrument. If I cut the highs on the cymbals the flute high end gets cut as well. If I up the horn vol the drums are louder in the mix.

Syn, can you help me with the isolation and EQ problems. Maybe I've made the wrong mic choice on an instrument???

Thanks for your kind comment on the tune-!!

-jim

• Members

OK, got some more band songs up. The rythm guitar, bass and drums are recorded on a Fostex 8 track in the same room, then mixed down on cubase with vocals and lead guitar added after.

The vocals are recorded through an AKG condenser (can't remember which one) clean, with a track recorded through a beta57 and a TC Helicon Vocal Create pedal. The vocals on Signals are also run through a Roland space echo pedal.

http://www.myspace.com/thespiral25

• Members

Hi Everyone!

Well, I've finally gotten something finished and have worked up the nerve to post it here and see what people think about it. It's the first song on my Soundclick and ReverbNation pages called "Hey Gwen." It was inspired by the (then) upcoming birth of my first child. (She's 3 mo. old now)

I recorded it in our nursery/computer room on my home-built XP Pro box (3ghz Celeron, 512MB, RealTek onboard SC) with my Ibanez S470DX and Spider II 212 direct to the Line in, and an MXL DRK Mic for the vocals. My DAW is Reaper. The drums are done with SuperDrumFX.

The older version of the song is from a few months ago as a first attempt and is up there for reference as to how it sounded when I was just using Audacity to record with and couldn't get enough editing control when mixing.

I'm looking for honest feedback about virtually anything you feel like commenting on. I'm still pretty much a n00b (even at 38 years old!) so I'd like to learn how to make future stuff better.

The only disclaimer I'll offer to start with is that the 128k mp3 on both pages sounds a good bit "swishier" in the highs on the cymbals than it does for me playing the original local file at home. Gotta love the internet.

• Members

d32xd

really nice work. great clarity and use of space. the snare seemed to disappear a bit when it wasn't played hard, altho the cymbal is always clear for time-keeping purposes.

brownte

dude, the word of the day is 'muddy'. overall, it has the feel of a twice-dubbed cassette tape. details seem lost. in some ways, the separation is better on the older version. (don't mean to sound discouraging! keep recording and experimenting!)