Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Hi all,

I would like you to hear my band's songs: http://www.myspace.com/duasisi

the drums and basses were recorded live in my studio,some of the kick and toms were changed with drumagog.guitars were recorded at my home with a small crate vintage club 20,adrenalinn II preamps and also a toneport.

please give a comment or critics to the material.by the way most of you might not understand the lyrics,because it's in Indonesian :)

I hope you guys enjoy the music

Thanks!

• Members

I could'a done been sword I posted my piece in this thread, but I don't see it, so I guess I must've been hallucinating. So here it is, a song about male lust and the problems is causes us.

Everywhere Are Signs

This is my first real piece. I started in Feb last year by buying SONAR, and did a lot of studying and a number of short trial bits. This the first full attempt. It took a long time since I decided about half way through that I was serious about this enough now to sell my home theater to finance a modest but workable little studio, so I kind of started all over again and had to put the new studio together and learn all new plugs, pre-amp, mic, monitors, room, etc... So it was about probably 4 months from start to finish. Other folks would already be putting out their greatest hits album by now.

Hopefully the next one will be a little quicker... I'm off now to do my duty and review a few other folks bits.

• Members
I've got a couple I wouldn't mind a critique on. namely "something heavy" & "reminds me of surfing" just click the link in my sig.

Heavy sounds pretty good to me. Maybe it's just my crappy computer speakers but the snare sounds a little dry and up front relative to the big and fairly pushed back production on the rest of the tune. The playing sounds fine to me.

On Surfing, I like it. Again I'd say the drums are the weakest part of the production. But it's a nice composition and flows along nicely. I assume that the slightly more 'garage rock' production relative to Heavy was purposeful thing, and I think it works better for this than a more polished sound would. Again though the playing is all fine. You don't need super-chops to do good stuff (thankfully, since I don't have any super-chops.) I like the tone on the lead a lot.

Take all of this with a grain of salt since I'm not listening on my DAW but on my work machine with some little M-Audio speakers.

• Members
Finally gettin the balls to let other people hear my stuff!! been glued to the corner of my room for a few years guess its time to see if it was all worth it:freak: whadda ye thinks me fine recording gents!!!??

http://www.myspace.com/lukeall

hope i posted it right

Corerat is a good tune. It's a little overly reverby perhaps. That does add a certain type of thick, nice vibe to the mix, but it might be a little too much, as best I can tell on my wee speakers and of course with a super compressed Myspace version. There are a couple places where it sounds like you were a little scared to really cut loose on the vocals and really hit some of those notes. But the song and composition I really like. It's a really nice melodic alt-rock type of thing, which is a genre I always like.

• Members

Why not....take a listen at my band's first "attempt" CD, "The 13th Day" and see what you guys think. All tracks were recorded/mixed/mastered entirely in my spare bedroom using Sonar 4, a cheap sound card, and T-Racks for mastering.

All the songs from the CD are on the site-wide player on the bottom of the page...

www.backtoblue.net

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Alright, I'm in!

I'm a TOTAL NOOB at recording, hard-disc/digital/PC-based or otherwise. I barely know how to do so with what I have. (I'll get around to that in threads with future questions, I'm certain.) I probably barely qualify to make sonic toast with the gear, hardware and software that I have.

That being said, "FWIW", here's my submission for critical and expert scrutiny, scrotiny, and suggestions afield:

"Soapbar Example"

Currently my sole postable/linkable mp3 (hosted by a good friend). Forty-odd seconds of two guitars (or rather, one guitar, twice), tuned to Open-D, originally done on-the-fly simply to give an example of P-90 "soapbar"-equipped guitars in action.

I won't bore you with any more mundane details unless they're requested.

I already have my own opinions about its artistic shortcomings, don't worry about sparing my feelings or anything! It's presented here both to start off kicking the ball around, and to get any and all actual useful information that anyone cares to throw my way. (READ AS:
FREE EDUCATION
) Be as critical as you want!

How did you get that sweet buzzing sound that appears once in a while?

• Members

Okay...never mind about the language or the music of this song. I am sure most of you will not understand a word of this song, but please listen to my song I recorded a few months ago and let me know what is wrong with my voice recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5425534&q=hi

I use SM58 mic with a M-Audio PreMobile USB interface. I mix the music with my vocal using CoolEdit software. I am not crazy with the way I sound. What am I missing in my recording?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Aravind

• Members
http://www.myspace.com/tabernacklehc

I mixed this for a friend of mine. I did not record anything so I worked with what I had. This is not mastered, just my mix. Is there anything I should ad or change? I did a cut of 60hz on the guitar, no high cut, very very slight compression and reverb since it sounded a little compressed out of the pod anyways, adjusted the levels, and called it a day with those.

Drums I used a lot of compression and EQ to fit. I put as much midi samples over the real drums as I could since the source was not that great to begin with.

Bass I just added a drop of compression and thats all.

Vocals I used decent compression and cut 60hz and below. I bumped the vocals at 300hz. I added slight reverb and delay to try to make them sound more full

Anyone got any tips on what would make this sound a little better? Thanks.

• Members

We made these recordings at my house. Some things recorded in the living room, others in the garage. It's sort of a Saddle Creek type thing...the bands share members, I play on some of it, but mostly do the recording. Right now we have songs up by 4 different "bands" that are largely the same 10 people.

www.myspace.com/nationalsouthwestern

• Members

http://www.myspace.com/tabernacklehc

I mixed this for a friend of mine. I did not record anything so I worked with what I had. This is not mastered, just my mix. Is there anything I should ad or change? I did a cut of 60hz on the guitar, no high cut, very very slight compression and reverb since it sounded a little compressed out of the pod anyways, adjusted the levels, and called it a day with those.

Drums I used a lot of compression and EQ to fit. I put as much midi samples over the real drums as I could since the source was not that great to begin with.

Bass I just added a drop of compression and thats all.

Vocals I used decent compression and cut 60hz and below. I bumped the vocals at 300hz. I added slight reverb and delay to try to make them sound more full

Anyone got any tips on what would make this sound a little better? Thanks.

I think this is great for a pod! What were you running patch wise? I think you nailed the genre's sound (they sound allot like Comeback Kid to me and thats awesome).

Don't second guess it I think it sounds great. I would try chopping off the high end of the guitars at around 10k though (trust me all that is above this on a pod is fizz). I would also consider slamming the main vocal with lots of compression (like -12db of compression 3:1 ratio slower attack decay to taste). This is just to bring it out front a tad more.

Thats all I can think of.

• Members
I think this is great for a pod! What were you running patch wise? I think you nailed the genre's sound (they sound allot like Comeback Kid to me and thats awesome).

Don't second guess it I think it sounds great. I would try chopping off the high end of the guitars at around 10k though (trust me all that is above this on a pod is fizz). I would also consider slamming the main vocal with lots of compression (like -12db of compression 3:1 ratio slower attack decay to taste). This is just to bring it out front a tad more.

Thats all I can think of.

It was gear box with the latest patch. JCM800 model. That seems to be one of the only amps I can get decent tone from.

I was working with cubase LE and the {censored}ty EQ it has on it. I had some trouble getting it to do more than one cut and the low end cut was more effective. When I buy SX3 or nuendo I am definitely going to look into some good EQ plug ins.

I'll try messing with the vocal compression a little more tomorrow. While I am not "officially" in this project aside from mixing these are my two old band mates and I am helping them a lot so this project is getting a little close to me :) We all LOVE comeback kid so that was a huge compliment in it's own!!!!

Do you have any very rough guesses as to what a recording of that caliber is worth? I have never given a price quote before so that is one of my biggest problems. I still definitely want it to be deal vs price ratio thats for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally Posted by nerol1st

I haven't posted a song anywhere in a while and this is my latest stuff. Unfortunately it's stream only due to agreement with the band.

www.soundclick.com/thenerolproj

It's the first one "Illusion" there is swearing for anyone with virgin ears .

I'll provide info on the recording for anyone interested.

I thought this was pretty well done. I can't get completely get behind the drums but they cut well and that's really important. Vocals sounded really, really good IMO. Guitars sounded good too. Again, well done.

What kind of setup did you use for the drums. What kind of kit, snare, cymbals, overheads, mics/positions, room, etc. did you use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought this was pretty well done. I can't get completely get behind the drums but they cut well and that's really important. Vocals sounded really, really good IMO. Guitars sounded good too. Again, well done.

What kind of setup did you use for the drums. What kind of kit, snare, cymbals, overheads, mics/positions, room, etc. did you use?

I have to agree with you 100% I am not a huge fan of the drums either. He was pretty bull headed when it came to the drum sound.

But anyhow the fallowing was used:

Everything was run through the firepod's stock converters and preamps:

Mapex kit (yeah don't remember the make unfortunatly)

Ziljian A and Z custom cymbols

Pearl masters snare

SM57 mics on all toms and the top of the snare (total of 5 sm57 mics).

sennhieser e609 on the bottom

Studio projects C1 as overheads

AKG D112 for bass drum (sample was used as well).

Guitars:

Ibanez MMM1 w/ gibson burstbucker pro pups

LTD 300 series guitar w/ EMG HZ pickups

Peavey 5150

Crate cab with vintage 30 speakers

Some of the tracks were sent to a guy to be reamped through a triple rectifier.

The 5150 stuff was 2 sm57 mics for each take and the recto stuff was one sm57 per take.

Bass:

Fender american J standard 4 string into the ampeg SVT plug in. DI track was duplicated and the camel audio camelcrusher was applied to the second.

Vocal:

Studio projects C1. Messed with it quite a bit in melodyne.

• Members

I also posted this in Craig's forum but some different people gathering here so I post it here too...Something a bit different from me....a friend made this famous Jazz standard on a Rhodes piano through some nice effect and I added my self assembled Strat afterwards...it wasn't planned but it turned out that we both like it. The guitar goes straight to an Apogee MiniMe and from there to a Creamware (SonicCore makes and sells them now) Scope dsp audiocard, processed by a dsp plugin amp emulator that I'm building.

So here it is!

:)

• Members
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6143835&q=hi

Above is the link to my song Night Fall. Please pick it apart and tell me where I could make improvements. I'm running a small home recording set up. M-Audio Delta 44 with a AMD based computer. Everything was done in Sonar Producer. So let me have it. Now the drums are EZ Drummer. Everything else was me. (guitar and bass) Thanks Gary

• Members
I am having some fun trying to get some of this track to actually "mix". Thoughts?

http://www.myspace.com/dinnerwithcannibals

First of all I like the sound and the idea. But to me it sounds like you need to turn the guitars down. They sound like the loudest part of the song, makes it hard to understand/hear anything else. And the low end seems lacking. I would like to be able to hear more of the kick and bass. Also make the quiet parts quiet and loud parts louder(than the quiet parts, not louder than they are now!). It's all really loud and if you brought the quiet parts lower in volume then the rockin' parts sound that much more rockin'.