Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Hi Guys,

I recently had to mix some songs in my apt. The tracks were previously recorded at a studio, and I used Logic Pro 8 to mix and "master" them. I don't have reference monitors, so I'm not sure how the mix came out. I would appreciate any feedback good or bad!

Thank you so much!!

These are 128kbps mp3 files.

Soulwise

Based on a Feel

Harsh and crowded, but otherwise pretty good.

• Members

A little thin and fizzly. One thing I notice is that it shares too many frequencies with the cymbals.

What would you suggest trying to get rid of the fizziness. Thats really the main problem i'm having and it's been alot worse. And as for the being thin and sharing frequencies with the cymbals should i just do a little eq'ing?

• Members

What would you suggest trying to get rid of the fizziness. Thats really the main problem i'm having and it's been alot worse. And as for the being thin and sharing frequencies with the cymbals should i just do a little eq'ing?

I'm not really an amp or guitar guy, though I am a "sounds" guy. I would generalize that cheaper solid-states and emulations can get you fizziness, but not always. What are you using now?

You'd EQ both instruments a little differently anyway. It's just they shouldn't be conflicting so much from the start. Cymbals are an odd choice for guitar frequency overlap - I don't hear that often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/nate23/
Looking for some feedback on my tone. It's just a test. Any advice on improving it is appreciated. Both guitar tracks were double tracked and panned hard left and right.

Sounds really nice! What did you use to record this? I suppose it is a modeling software?

The one thing I miss is a bass in the mix.

But this really sounds very good to me :thu:

Also cool riffs/ideas!

• Members

Thanks!! Would you have any suggestions on how to fix those things?

Stop overcompressing. Let some instruments overlap in terms of where they're panned. You're a little hell-bent on hearing everything all the time.. Not really how a mix works. There are often areas of focus for different sections of a song that don't sound right until you let the energy dictate what the spotlight should be during that time frame.

Some of the instruments also sound a little closed-in (sax, acoustic.) That's a result of an overly dead room. The proportions are also a little funny, like the horns will drone on with no real direction for opening parts of the chorus when they should be a converse energy compared to everything else that's going on. The drums, guitar, vocals and everything are really moving, they're staying - but it's as if they haven't really "decided."

• Members

Hey guys,

So Sidrak and Bokkus is a new band out of Burlington, VT. So far we've self produced one album called "White Noise on Black Paper," and we're getting to the final stages of releasing it. Before we do, however, I need a little help.

Mainly, the low end mix is a little muddy IMO. On some of the songs, I think it's ok, but in some of the others it seems a tad bit distracting. I don't know if it's my system, but take a listen and let me know what you think.

Also, would not be opposed to song critiques as well, they always help :thu:

We recorded the raw tracks at a local studio, then transferred the files into the bass players Pro Tools system, and we mixed it from there.

http://www.reverbnation.com/sidrakandbokkus

• Members

Hey, I'm mixing a cover for a fan forum. I'm using Reaper.

all we've done so far are the drums, butwhat do you think?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5tnnooyidrm

They sound pretty rough, but hey.. I don't think the original recording sounds that great either, so why not improve upon it?

It won't get fixed in mixing. No way. The recordist could've just kept it simple - spaced pair, kick, snare, maybe one or two toms - but instead there's parts of the kit all over the place. There's a lot of phase cancellation, practically no high end past 11kHz, boomy/resonant low mids, harsh high mids, small cymbals, nightmarish room tone, yadda yadda yadda.

I'd reject that recording. There's nothing I could do.

• Members

Hey, I'm mixing a cover for a fan forum. I'm using Reaper.

all we've done so far are the drums, butwhat do you think?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5tnnooyidrm

wav is enormous! 61mb, warning.

i agree with the above post. cymbals sound really bad. and all the drums sound like they've got a sucking hollowness. probably the aforementioned phase cancellation.

get back to basics. and always use your ears. does anything about that kit sound like a commercial recording to you? if it doesn't sound right, move the mics around. take some mics out, put new ones on.

try having a goal or perfect sound in mind, and always remember to compare what you've got against that goal.

drums are the hardest thing to record well --- you've got to put in the time to set the drums up properly, put the kit in the best spot in the room, and get the mic(s) set up to sound the best they can, all before you ever hit record.

• Members

Hey guys,

So Sidrak and Bokkus is a new band out of Burlington, VT. So far we've self produced one album called "White Noise on Black Paper," and we're getting to the final stages of releasing it. Before we do, however, I need a little help.

Mainly, the low end mix is a little muddy IMO. On some of the songs, I think it's ok, but in some of the others it seems a tad bit distracting. I don't know if it's my system, but take a listen and let me know what you think.

Also, would not be opposed to song critiques as well, they always help
:thu:

We recorded the raw tracks at a local studio, then transferred the files into the bass players Pro Tools system, and we mixed it from there.

http://www.reverbnation.com/sidrakandbokkus

the bass does have a weird thing going on. on "Lucky #13" it sounds like the bass is throbbing or something. if that's an intentional effect i guess that's kinda cool but it sounds weird to me. the bass definitely is way loud and taking up the most sonic space out of everything. i probably wouldn't have been happy with that bass sound at the start... but if you have to live with it, you can start by turning it down, and then carving away some of its sound with EQ. it jumps out in front of everything else, drawing your ear to it throughout the whole song, which i suspect is not the goal for this genre.

also i dont hear the kick drum at all.

on the plus side, the vocals sound really good.

• Members

also james, here's an example of why the basics are so important.

Shapes and Distance drum demo

it is taken from this thread. that sound was achieved by finding the best room in the house, setting up the kit in there and tuning it properly, and then moving the mic all over the room until it sounded best.

oh yes, *the* mic. that drum sound is one shure sm57 in a room.

incidentally i think that recording with that one cheapo mic sounds a lot more natural than the one you posted.

the good news is, you can learn a lot and there's plenty of room for improvement :thu:

• Members

also james, here's an example of why the basics are so important.

Shapes and Distance drum demo

it is taken from
this thread
. that sound was achieved by finding the best room in the house, setting up the kit in there and tuning it properly, and then moving the mic all over the room until it sounded best.

oh yes, *the* mic. that drum sound is
one
shure sm57 in a room.

incidentally i think that recording with that one cheapo mic sounds a lot more natural than the one you posted.

the good news is, you can learn a lot and there's plenty of room for improvement
:thu:

I'll have to pass that on to one of my professors...

But I bring up The Globe Sessions yet again. MFM - a {censored}ing hi-hat mic, mono overhead, close kick, close snare, close tom. That's it! Stellar sound. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the one distant mic is above the kit (an OH) or in front of it. The kick definitely seems to have an outside mic - that could another separate placement used to make it beefier, or it could just be the distant mic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think that sounds pretty damn grat man! Especially the guitars and drum. Like the voice too! And those sweet harmonies add alot to it. I'd turn them down behind your voice a slight tad. And at some points it almost sounds like your mixer is being overdriven, or it's driving whatever you're running it into. And the solo is ace ;) Short and sweet to convey the feeling.

I'm sure after you've gone through it a few times, you'll be ready to record it straightforward and it will be phenomenal!

• Members

How's it going

Finally got my bands demo mixed and recorded (self taught recordist, guitarist and producer).

Would really appcreciate any feedback:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h5nomzzffn2

This is the 4 track ep, tried a few different techniques on the songs so feedback on any would be appreciated. :wave:

Thanks in advance :D

• Members

I think that sounds pretty damn grat man! Especially the guitars and drum. Like the voice too! And those sweet harmonies add alot to it. I'd turn them down behind your voice a slight tad. And at some points it almost sounds like your mixer is being overdriven, or it's driving whatever you're running it into. And the solo is ace
;)
Short and sweet to convey the feeling.

I'm sure after you've gone through it a few times, you'll be ready to record it straightforward and it will be phenomenal!

i've got a tape sim plugin on the master fader that was getting driven a bit, that's prob what you're hearing. i'll kick it down a tad and hear how that changes things. thanks!

• Members

my finished cover of JOHN LENNON'S "WORKING CLASS HERO"

========================================

all done by myself: playing, singing, recording, mixing. i am rather satisfied, would although like to hear if you have some comments/suggestions.

i am a firm believer that you should record it as it should sound later. that's why i made only small resonance corrections with EQ at mixing. only artificial reverb was done with the piano.

recording:

ac.git - rode nt5 at 12. fret, rode nt2a farer away to get some room ambience, all into LA-610

vocal - rode nt5 into LA-610 with little compression

piano - logic express yamaha piano

mixing:

ac.git - compressed with the FNR AUDIO RNC

vocal - logic tape delay and liquid mix amek angela EQ

piano - liquid mix amek angela EQ and liquid mix LA-2A compressor

stereo sum - liquid mix with neve 33609 and liquid mix Chandler Limited Passive TG Channel MKII Abbey Road EQ 100Hz +2dB / 12kHz +2dB

here it is:

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=TzY3a3ZEMGNPSHgzZUE9PQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi,

I recorded a few metal riffs I had come up with already some time ago.

Initially I wanted to play this at 200 BPM, but my right hand wouldn't let me, so I had to settle for 190BPM. I still think this would sound a lot better at 200BPM, but I will have to work my right hand up to that speed first.....

I know the drum programming still needs a lot of work (it's way too busy in some spots), and so does the mixing.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to improve the mix/sound/or anything else.

Still a recording noob, so bear with me....

Here's the link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=945046&songID=8390689

Thanks,

Lars

• Members

i've got a tape sim plugin on the master fader that was getting driven a bit, that's prob what you're hearing. i'll kick it down a tad and hear how that changes things. thanks!

ahhh, that makes sense man. :D Be careful of the slight clipping! Send me a finished product if you ever get to re-record or re-mix it, man. I want to show my dad and friends how to seperate the instruments in a mix the proper way.

• Members

Ok, so I'm pretty new to recording. I started a band with a friend of mine, and we put down a track. Were going for a post-rock kinda sound. In the vein of Russian Circles/Explosions in the Sky/etc. I know the mix is kinda bad, so that's why I'm posting it here. First to see if anyone even likes the song, or sees the potential in it. Secondly, any tips/tricks/etc to make the mix/song sound better would be appreciated.

http://www.myspace.com/ourfriendsurrender