Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Hi all,

Could really do with some honest, constructive feedback on this one. A lotta firsts for me on this mix. First time micing and mixing live drums, second mixing live guitars, very little set-up time, first time using new mics, first time using Logic too, didn't know what was good and what wasn't plug-in wise. It's been overwhelming. Any advice or feedback you can give would be great. I know it's brickwalled, I wanted this one like that, it's only a demo, plus it's that kinda song, you know?

Gear- SM57s, SM58, Audix D6, Atm450s, into Presonus Firestudio into Macbook w/ Logic 9. Fire away I can take it!

http://soundcloud.com/death-ape-disco/10-000-years-1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Thanks for any suggestions and I hope you actually like the tune. "Little of This-Little of That".

http://www.myspace.com/proazza/music/songs/little-of-this-little-of-that-81448307

Nice playing. Doing all live :) That's good.

I find the guitar-sound a little muffled. Is this for fun rehearsing mostly, or do you have serious plans with the songs?

• Members

http://soundcloud.com/mlts9984/lord-over-all-1

Here's a song I wrote; Thankfully I had someone else to sing it for me. it's done in logic pro, I tracked everything on a focusrite saffire 40, most of the guitars were mic'ed, a few of the lead parts I redid direct with logic's amp sims. The vocals were done with an AKG 214ce into a focusrite voicemaster

Nice. Lacks mastering, but guess you know. Nice sounds and playing. Overall very well done. Thanks for recognizing that I'm lord over all :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's a mix of a theme I composed for a non-profit organization's money management podcast. Open to feedback as far as the mix goes, I just recently started getting into mixing and this is my first project I did myself from start to finish (composing, tracking, mixing, mastering). This was all done in Pro Tools 10- I used EZ Drummer for drums, captured the guitars and bass with my Duet, and got the synth sounds from the built in AIR synths (Xpand2 and Vacuum). Didn't do much along the lines of mastering besides using Waves' L2 Limiter to get the volume up to current standards.

http://soundcloud.com/nate-barnes/podcast-theme

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys,

here is a mix of a rather heavy rock track. Vocals will be recorded by tomorrow but I put some work in this mix already. The song was recorded fully mic'd in a live take. Guitars and bass are okay for my taste but the kick and snare could still use some punch. Any tipps appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/we-are-rodha/bliss-v5d/s-g3A2V

:wave:

• Members

Hey guys,

here is a mix of a rather heavy rock track. Vocals will be recorded by tomorrow but I put some work in this mix already. The song was recorded fully mic'd in a live take. Guitars and bass are okay for my taste but the kick and snare could still use some punch. Any tipps appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/we-are-rodha/bliss-v5d/s-g3A2V

:wave:

*a rather heavy rock track* these are the five words that will get me to listen to a song :) Well the guitar is right up the middle or a little to the right? and the snare appears to be on the left headphone a bit, maybe as a result of the positioning of the guitar to the right. I mean, it might be my headphones. Is this what you're going for? The guitar and bass merge really nicely as sounds, but it is weird to me to have all that come up the middle. I like the crack of the snare and the way it makes its way to the edge of the headphones. I like my snares in the middle, for which it's possible the overheads need a different panning, or it may be the other sounds taking away the snare from my right ear.

Re the kick, often it's a question of putting little holes in the eqs of the bass and kick so they aren't treading on each other's sound too much, the bass definitely dominates out of the two on this one. A little 4k boost or so might bring out some more click, and cutting the bass wherever the kick is coming through on a frequency analyser. The snare could perhaps use a touch more body in the mid-range if you want it firmer, but it sits very nicely sound-wise for me, perhaps it's just not being hit too hard.

Overall it's a cool song though, moody and mysterious with cool tone, I really like it!

• Members

Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. The snare is slightly to the left. I wanted it that way to achieve at least a little bit of spread since the guitar and bass is mainly centered. The right-sidedness of the guitar is a result of slightly different EQing the one live take track. So it might be psycho-acoustically. I reworked the kick and snare eversince I posted the link. I ended up finding a trick for the snare to sound how I wanted it and also improved on the kick. I sent the EQ to an aux channel, down pitched it and put a fully wet reverb on it. Blended in, it added that down-tuned, almost woordrim sound I aimed for.

Here's the link to the current, almost final version of it, this time even with vocals :)http://soundcloud.com/we-are-rodha/bliss-voc-v2/s-WMCak

Thanks again!

• Members

Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. The snare is slightly to the left. I wanted it that way to achieve at least a little bit of spread since the guitar and bass is mainly centered. The right-sidedness of the guitar is a result of slightly different EQing the one live take track. So it might be psycho-acoustically. I reworked the kick and snare eversince I posted the link. I ended up finding a trick for the snare to sound how I wanted it and also improved on the kick. I sent the EQ to an aux channel, down pitched it and put a fully wet reverb on it. Blended in, it added that down-tuned, almost woordrim sound I aimed for.

Here's the link to the current, almost final version of it, this time even with vocals
:)
http://soundcloud.com/we-are-rodha/bliss-voc-v2/s-WMCak

Thanks again!

i had the impression with the first version that the guitars overall too loud, but didn't post anything.

now with the vocals i feel this even stronger. unless you want the vox in the back...

and can't predict how it will come out when its mastered, if the vox will be after the compression much more in the front as they are now.

i think the "clean" guitar is even more "louder". i would turn overall the guitar(s) a bit down, the clean part a bit more.

it will still be very heavy, especially if you turn the volume up while listening, but it will not bury everything behind the guitars

when the guitars are lowered it could also become necessary to lower the bass as well...

just my thoughts, from another noob :)

• Members

Here's the link to the current, almost final version of it, this time even with vocals
:)
http://soundcloud.com/we-are-rodha/bliss-voc-v2/s-WMCak

Thanks again!

noooo worries. It sounds really good, a very mono sparse feel, which works with the music, the new mix is great. Perhaps, as t_e_l_e says, the guitar could come down a touch, which might even allow the snare to come up a little, but that's all personal preference, main thing it sounds really good, like a man howling in a gale in the dead of night. I think. An Isis vibe with a twisted rock edge 3/4s through especially. Do you have a facebook page as a band?

my turn, whole band demo of Death Ape Disco's title track (the *pop song*), with a free download no less, and I'm interested to know how people find it, as a song, a mix, everything

http://soundcloud.com/death-ape-disco/death-ape-disco-new-demo

If you like it please leave a comment or download or share, it looks all threadbare there! If you hate it, even better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Here is a track from a complete CD of songs that have been mixed down for our singer to use as backing tracks for the finished mix. Spent ages just mixing the songs down of covers that we will put in our set.

Its just drums, bass and guitar that I taped on an 8 track machine with half inch analogue tape!

This track is the Free classic, "The Hunter".

Whats your thoughts on how this should be Eq d or even compressed?

Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/dashboard

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What does everyone think of these mixes?

http://elephanthighway.bandcamp.com/album/we-made-this

Edit: Mostly worried about the level and sound of the drums.

LIstened to the first track. (Not on great speakers.) Good job.

My critique would be that the instruments didn't sound very coherent space-wise. That is they sounded like they were all over-dubbed in different rooms (or different reverb/ambience applied). I don't know if you were going for that intentionally.

I would have brought the horns down a bit and drums and bass up. Also, I think the guitar parts would have been more powerful with a bit less distortion, although that's a tracking issue rather than a mix issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://soundcloud.com/mysoapbox/waiting-first-mix

I haven't really bothered trying to 'master' it, but I did put a limiter on the whole thing to catch the higher peaks and bring up the level. I doubt it's as loud as most commercial mixes though.

This is the first track I've every mixed and also my first time singing/writing lyrics.

Any suggestions on improving the mix?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

ambient wrote:

http://soundcloud.com/mysoapbox/waiting-first-mix
I haven't really bothered trying to 'master' it, but I did put a limiter on the whole thing to catch the higher peaks and bring up the level. I doubt it's as loud as most commercial mixes though. This is the first track I've every mixed and also my first time singing/writing lyrics. Any suggestions on improving the mix?

Love the song. The mix is pretty good - there are some things that jump out at me. Bear in mind that these critiques are usually wholly subjective!

I'd like to hear it without the limiter on there. It seems like the louder sections, the choruses and the outro, are too intense, too much limiting. Everything is a little bit too upfront during these sections.

Did you EQ some of the mix elements for presence, boosting the mids/hi-mids? That could also be the reason why it sounds a little too upfront. If you did EQ for maximum presence, I'd kill those EQ boosts on the guitars for starters.

Apart from that, the sonics are really good. Crystal clear, and importantly, a good song and a musical mix.

My only other suggestion might be to cut somewhere around 1000-1600Hz on the 'loudhailer' style vocals, and take them back 2 or 3 dB overall, perhaps turning up the reverb send as well (especially on the 'come back' lines @~2:20). That type of vocal effect needs quite a bit of reverb to sit in a mix properly, and probably some compression.

• Members

Just my taste prolly but I don't care for that super-compressed snare sound. I do see how that sound works for metal, but in power-ballad stuff, it lacks "reality" to my ears.

Also - you hit the big crash in unison with the snare a lot, which is a standard thing, but the sampled crash is so repetitive, it gets a little obnoxious. I'd say vary up that crash with other samples or treatments that make it sound less like you just hit the "crash" button over and over.

The guitars sound nice. The vox needs to sit down a bit more into the mix as noticed by gubu. But good work - if it were my mix, I'd go listen to some good Tom Petty tracks and take a few hints from his most excellent mixes.

nat whilk ii

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just started writing my new song so it will be a while till I post it up on the forum. But I must say it sounds badass and it is a entirely new creature all on its own. If it sounds awesome in production then it will sound just fantastic for the final product!! Can't wait!! Well better get back to writing!!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

http://soundcloud.com/jdc5294/how-many-more-times

Just me around my house, keeping that in mind I think it turned out pretty good, but be as harsh as you want. 2 microphones used for everything, a Blue Yeti and a Beta 57a. For the drums it was in my basement with the Yeti at a good position to be a room/overhead, and the 57a was on the high hat. For the bass and guitar parts the 57a was straight on center cone and the Yeti was about 2 feet away from my 4x12 which barely fits into my hall linen closet.

Amp is a bass amp by Gibson, a budget solid state answer to a Bassman from the 60s. No pedals for the bass, guitar was RC Booster>Fuzzy Lady>Vox wah. The bass was some $100 thing my sister had lying around and never used. Guitar is a homemade frankentele. Drums are a DW set I bought off my brother a while back.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

First time poster in this forum, but long time lurker around HC... well... to the point.

This recording was made by my band in our rehearsal space, is a live take with tracks for drums (overheads and drum kick) guitars (mics SM57 and E606) and bass (direct box). Vocals and additional guitar tracks were added later.

After much tweaking and adjusting and changing and adjusting again... this is what came off. I can hear some unbalance but I need a fresh approach

One point I need to know if possible when making direct takes in a small room... how you get rid of the "sssssss" from the snare... I know it is driven by the bass guitar, but it was impossible to EQ it out.

Any comment is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/david-guzman-55/waiting-for

PS: For recording and mixing I used a MOTU828 MK1 (!!!) on Mac with Logic Pro 9. Mixing was done with headphones (KRK) at home late after kids and wife fell asleep.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Depeche Mode Instrumental Cover - Policy of Truth

Please tell me what you think of this mix.

I have been working at making music at home for about a year learning through a mix of books, youtube vids and trial and error. Previously I have used Studio One and Cubase for music production, but I just recently got Ableton and I'm learning to use it. This is my first Ableton project.

The instruments are mostly midi with a few audio samples thrown in for certain percussive elements. I use a mix of NI vst's mostly. Alot of the mixing effects are native Ableton with some izotope plugins for polish. 

• Members

What's up Phil and peeps! Yes, it's the Mighty KHAN back to assault your ears with my latest project. I haven't done much recording for the last few years, and have transitioned from Digital Performer to Sonar. 

Here is our Youtube page where I uploded my first Mixes in Sonar. Harsh criticsms welcome lol.

Merry Christmas everyone!

RUCKUS - YouTube

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

Phil I took a few years off of recording. Here is a track I recorded of a Artist near me. Let me know what you think overall of the quality of the production. This are the final mix and haven't been professionally mastered, but it's my final mix of the song. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvthhv79cY