Gripe of the day about MF's "Customer Service"

GAS Man

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a bad experience with MF about a year and a half ago. This was long before their recent 'warehouse' move. I will not deal with them again *ever*. If you've had enough... try Sweetwater. These guys are some of the nicest people you'd ever want to deal with and their customer service is second to none. I've even put my sales rep on speed dial (please don't tell my wife). I'm planning a fairly major guitar purchase in a couple months and even though I could get it here in town, I plan on driving to Ft. Wayne to pick it up and meet these folks. Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Well, my SG Standard came in last Thursday, which was less than one week after the order was placed.

Now that I've sent it in for exchange, we'll see how quickly my substitute(s) arrive...

They did admit that some orders are shipping while mine has been waiting 'to be picked' for almost 4 weeks. They said that seems 'strange', but have no explanation as to why...

This will be my last purchase from them unless they've got some unbeatable deal or have something I need that no one else has. Only reason I haven't canceled this order is because I'm getting a guitar that usually goes for almost $1000 for about $600 with the discounts and 'compensation' they've given me for the hassles.

• Members

This will be my last purchase from them unless they've got some unbeatable deal or have something I need that no one else has. Only reason I haven't canceled this order is because I'm getting a guitar that usually goes for almost $1000 for about $600 with the discounts and 'compensation' they've given me for the hassles.

Im down to $250 bucks for a Epi 58 Flying V and the price is the only reason i havent canceled yet, but unless i get some significant progress with my order being shipped or even more off ill never deal with MF again.

• Members

I just this minute ordered something from m123, called up to verify the order went through, was told it wouldn't ship for 10 days "because we're moving warehouses." He assured me that it's in stock, just shipments are delayed.

I wonder if the people who own harmony-central and m123 and guitar center and musiciansfriend realize that this is turning into a real problem.

• Members

Still no change on my order.

Still says "being packed" for the 16th day.

Still no answer from my e-mail to "customer service" 3 days ago regarding the order status.

Still no answer to my phone call to return the wrong gigbag they shipped me.

I would have dumped MF years ago, especially since they stick me with sales tax, but some of their "exclusives" keep sucking me back in.

I'm waiting for this right now.

342012.jpg

But isn't it also a bit particularly odd that they wouldn't have an item that they are actively advertising as a "featured reduced price item" more readily available to ship out?

• Members

I posted a similar gripe a while back.

My coworker who is really into guitars recommended MF. He told me the prices were unbeatable and that his orders had always shipped the same day. He's apparently been ordering from them for years and years.

So then I ordered my electric from them, and it took over 3 weeks!!!

I researched it a bit - MF/Music123/GC are all the same store, and they are in the middle of moving all online orders to some bigger and better warehouse. Somebody somewhere screwed up the logistics of the move, and now everything is getting super delayed.

While I was extremely mad about the 3 week delay on my order, I am pretty sure they will figure out their warehouse situation soon.

• Members

I just this minute ordered something from m123, called up to verify the order went through, was told it wouldn't ship for 10 days "because we're moving warehouses." He assured me that it's in stock, just shipments are delayed.

I wonder if the people who own harmony-central and m123 and guitar center and musiciansfriend realize that this is turning into a real problem.

I found that out the hard way last week. I ordered something from M123 and was wondering why it hadn't shipped for 3 days. Emailed them to ask why and noticed the email forms on M123 are very similar to MF and now when I went to send an email to MF, my M123 email is in the list on the MF site.

• Members

So if MF/M123 hold all orders for ten days because of "moving to the new warehouse", that means they have an extra ten days worth of cash lying around to help fund operations.

What do you figure they bring in every day in sales? According to their latest SEC filing (http://biz.yahoo.com/e/070809/gtrc10-q.html), Guitar Center's sales last quarter were $500M, so $2B/year for the whole thing -- and $110M for the mail order business, so $440M/year. That's $1.2M a day. Ten days of float is $12M of customers money they have in the bank. Nice work if you can get it!

This is all speculation, mind you. But I would not be surprised to learn at some point that M123/MF/GC have been playing a little fast and loose with their accounting practices.

There is also the following in their 10-Q:

The process of converting to our new direct response distribution center, which opened in the third quarter, has resulted in lower than expected fill rates and higher than expected freight and payroll costs. We expect that the lower fill rates during the third quarter conversion process will result in back orders, cancellations, and, ultimately, lower net sales.

• Members

I'm now 20 days past my order date, 10 days past my promised "ship on or before date". I called them and bugged them again today. I got some sweet young thing on the phone. I could tell she wanted to help but she was clueless. She eventually said my order now had a tracking number, but UPS doesn't recognize it and it still shows "being packed" on the website. I doubt it's left the building, it's probably just a weird anomaly in their system, but at least it adds some drama to my wait.

• Members

I finally got a tracking number Friday and it showed up on the UPS site today.

4 weeks and 2 days after I placed the order.

And UPS tracking says 'GROUND' even though I was told by 2 different Customer Service brain surgeons that it would go Next Day Air...

Oh well, at least it'll be here in a couple days and I won't have to deal with those idiots again.

• Members

Sweetwater's getting my online business from now on. The stuff I ordered from MF on 7/28 was supposed to ship on the 7th, but on the tracking page it still says "Being Packed." :rolleyes: I didn't mind waiting at the time b/c I felt they were up front about it, but now I see it was just a "bait and wait" tactic. :mad:

I called them just for the hell of it, and pretty much got what I expected: it's our new warehouse, blah blah blah, we can't help it, it should be soon. :blah: :blah: :blah:

:rolleyes:

While I had them on the phone, I told them I wanted to buy an amp, and would they give me a discount since I would have to wait for it, and since I'm already waiting for the last order way longer than they told me. They totally wouldn't deal at all. So screw them is my opinion now. They obviously don't care one iota about the customer. I'm going to SW or zzounds for everything I buy online from now on.

As a footnote, I ended up ordering the amp from Sweetwater (a vox da5) and it was one of the most painless online transactions I ever conducted. I ordered on the phone in minutes, no waiting, no hassles, then just sent them the amount through paypal. Fast and easy. :thu:

Archived