am I the only one here...

jjpistols

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Am I the only one here who is NOT in love with these new Xaviere models?

they look like {censored}in Mentos or something to me, yet most of you would probably suck a dick to get one -- what's the attraction? more cheap strats and teles, oh boy

the funniest part is all the folks who have never even touched or seen one are already speculating on how much better the quality is than anything else made in Asia under $1000

another HC frenzy -- maybe I'll pick one up on overstock.com for $60 at xmas time
:lol:

i'm with ya... jj, i was also 1 of the one's who said *the king has no clothes*
about the squier 51's too :D

• Members
Remember the whole 'tone is in the fingers' concept?? Frets is living proof. His is also living proof that if you improve as a player enough, what you play matters a whole lot less than any of us and and custom guitar makers would have is think. But - a great guitar in skilled hands is truly a thing of beauty.

No doubt - Eric Johnson playing a piece of {censored} guitar and a piece of {censored} amp will sound better than me playing any guitar or amp. I'm just saying - Frets could review a 2x4 with strings on it, like it, and probably sound pretty good. But it doesn't really tell me anything about it! :D

• Members
No doubt - Eric Johnson playing a piece of {censored} guitar and a piece of {censored} amp will sound better than me playing any guitar or amp. I'm just saying - Frets could review a 2x4 with strings on it, like it, and probably sound pretty good. But it doesn't really tell me anything about it!
:D

thats funny, cuz at one time there was a quote saying that "frets could put a set of strings arcoss a homeless guys ass, tune it up and sound better than i could with any guitar and amp":freak::D:lol:

• Members

I've kicked it around but need to hear more info. The GFS pickups are a decent selling point. However I see those yellowish necks and instantly think of SX and look down and the scar on my hand from those sharp ass frets.

And the colors are a bit bizarre. maybe with a pickguard of some sort to offset the pastels.

• Members
A semi-hollow for 170 bucks? Sweet.

A guitar with P-90s for 170 bucks? Sweet.

An Xaviere for 170 bucks? Sweet.

Yeah, I'm not really seein the cons here.

+100

WTF's not to like? :confused:

i'm not a big fan of sparkle or pastels either, but it's not a deal breaker since those are classic fender colors anyway. so far, without seeing the actual overall quality yet, it seems like a good deal for two decent P90s and a thinline body.

• Members
I've kicked it around but need to hear more info. The GFS pickups are a decent selling point. However I see those yellowish necks and instantly think of SX and look down and the scar on my hand from those sharp ass frets.

And the colors are a bit bizarre. maybe with a pickguard of some sort to offset the pastels.

Damm Totman, I said stop killing my GAS buzz! :p

That said, I'm just farting around with the whole thing. If I don't like it, I'll send it back. I just had to give one a try for two-and-a-half bills.

But I'm keeping an open mind.

• Members

Am I the only one here who is NOT in love with these new Xaviere models?

they look like {censored}in Mentos or something to me,

I'd be very surprised if you were the only one. Just like some like SX, the 51s, etc, and some don't, to each their own.

I will agree on some of the colors, AND some of the colors people are suggesting, like creamsicle?

But I did order one because my favorite style of guitar is a tele with a maple board, and I am particularly fond of semihollow bodies - so these new GFS fit everything I like and for a 159., for a brand that seems to have gotten good reviews here - it was worth it to me. I've looked, a LOT, the choices for a semihollow tele with a maple board are painfully few - even Squier f'd it up by putting a rosewood board on their new VM thinline tele - and for almost twice the price.

Though I did go with a more basic color - vintage cream.

• Members
Yeah, I'm thinking about starting a NXD sticky thread for everyone to post theirs in so they don't take up the whole freakin front page...

I don't know about needing a sticky, but I remember when a bunch of us got those 99. Epi LPs from Music123, someone started one thread for everyone to post theirs when they got it.
Since we know there's going to be a bunch of these coming to members this week, might not be a bad idea to start the same kind of thread for these. Then the front page won't be filled with GFS NGDs, and more importantly, it might cut down on the bitchin' by those who aren't interested.

• Members

The appearance of these newer Xaviers certainly appeal more to me than the previous Teles and Strats. Looks wise I think they're fine. Nothing too flashy, but they certainly aren't gaudy either. I personally like the sonic blue, surf green and cream finishes. It's nice that they are offered in both maple and rosewood fretboards too.

The metalflake colors I'm not too crazy about. Never did care for their Paul shapes, although they may be nice guitars.

When you figure the pickups would cost $60 to $68 per pair plus shipping it's not a bad deal. It's much more prudent to buy a completed guitar than to buy some other inexpensive model with the intent to modify it with these pickups.

I'm interested in them but want to hear some more clips and read more reviews before pulling the trigger. Besides, I have a few guitars that I should unload first.

• Members

I'm interested in them but want to hear some more clips and read more reviews before pulling the trigger. Besides, I have a few guitars that I should unload first.

That's why these were poor timing for me. I just sold a couple guitars here, have six more on ebay that looks like they are going to sell. So, there is money there for buying the XV-600 I ordered, but the idea was to thin the herd, not sell to buy more...... Though I guess I'm doing better than usual, selling 8 total - bought one.

• Members
I don't think Jay's cock is anywhere near as in danger of being completely sucked off like the deity Kurt's has been;)

Don't forget that Kurt sent JJ a free guitar case. Let's not get into Kurt
bashing, here. That was a very nice thing for him to do, nor did anyone
ask Kurt to do anything. Sorry, but acts of kindness are becoming very rare
in today's world.;)

• Members

I understand where you're coming from, and it's more than likely that this current fad needed a little knocking down, but I think you're being a little harsh, JJ. I'm sure not suckin a dick for a cheap git!

Then again, I enjoy your perspective. :)

But if you don't like em, there's no arguing with that! Everybody knows what they like.

For me the price for a semi Tele with decent pups and that fretboard pic did me in. The bridge looks particluarly good, and I am glad the pups aren't split, since it would likely raise the cost.

The next closest semi Tele in the market, the Agile whatever it is, is $100 more.

I hope the discounted case is nice.

But I admit that I was ripe for the picking. My three other Xavieres are keepers, even if they are... uh... different.

I initially ordered three of these, but have since cancelled one due to an increased shipping cost. Sounds lame but the cheaper (or so I thought) shipping made me add another one to my order, but when it turned out that the shipping did go up, I cancelled it.

I think Jay did a good job at hitting a "hole" in the market. Especially on price.

I predict that GFS will have MUCH better market penetration :eek: with these models, than the previous models. I think most of it will be because of the price.

If I liked LP styles I'd get one of those 700s too!

I really like that they are "different". If you like oddball Teles like I do, then I think these are a home run. I am pretty conventional on color though, and ordered a vintage cream and black sparkle.

I'm sure the quality will be adequate, if not much better. IOW, I trust Jay.

Yes, I know I am the cheapie guy, and that I talk too much. :D

• Members
I understand where you're coming from, and it's more than likely that this current fad needed a little knocking down, but I think you're being a little harsh, JJ. I'm sure not suckin a dick for a cheap git!

Then again, I enjoy your perspective.
:)

But if you don't like em, there's no arguing with that! Everybody knows what they like.

For me the price for a semi Tele with decent pups and that fretboard pic did me in. The bridge looks particluarly good, and I am glad the pups aren't split, since it would likely raise the cost.

The next closest semi Tele in the market, the Agile whatever it is, is $100 more.

I hope the discounted case is nice.

But I admit that I was ripe for the picking. My three other Xavieres are keepers, even if they are... uh... different.

I initially ordered three of these, but have since cancelled one due to an increased shipping cost. Sounds lame but the cheaper (or so I thought) shipping made me add another one to my order, but when it turned out that the shipping did go up, I cancelled it.

I think Jay did a good job at hitting a "hole" in the market. Especially on price.

I predict that GFS will have MUCH better market penetration
:eek:
with these models, than the previous models. I think most of it will be because of the price.

If I liked LP styles I'd get one of those 700s too!

I really like that they are "different". If you like oddball Teles like I do, then I think these are a home run. I am pretty conventional on color though, and ordered a vintage cream and black sparkle.

I'm sure the quality will be adequate, if not much better. IOW, I trust Jay.

Yes, I know I am the cheapie guy, and that I talk too much.

I really only have no interest in these, 'cause I already have a good cheap
semi-hollow. Dot Studio worn brown for $199, back when MF was still MF.
This fills my semi slot, quite nicely. I wouldn't think twice about buying a
guit from Jay, if he had something that I was interested in. A semi-hollow
tele just does not generate enough interest, for me. YMMV.

Archived