am I the only one here...

jjpistols

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gee JJ- not really sure why you would give a {censored} about these... If you don't like em don't buy one.

I'm not really trying to develop a huge and deep guitar line that hits every single particular taste for every single particular player.

Just trying to get guitars made overseas that look and FEEL like quality instruments, for cheap. Pickups are criticial, fretwork is critical, pots and switch are critical- everything else is kinda bull{censored}, don't you think?

Don't care for them- OK. Part of the business of making VERY specific choices is you're gonna alienate like 90% of the marketplace, but if that 10% LOVES it you get a cult following... something I'm getting used to.

Part of running this business is I now know where all the bodies are buried...I know where every single brand name is manufactured- which factory in which city, which wood they use, which paint, and I even know how much real work they do to ensure their guitars are right. In some cases they have a man on the ground, checking quality and reading the paint labels and glue bottles- That's how I am doing it now- our guy is over there sending back digital pics of the guitar sin process so we know we're getting what we pay for. Other companies look at an OEM catalog at the Shanghai Music Fair and say- "Gimme 5,000 Les Pauls, 5,000 Strats and 5,000 teles- change the headstocks so I don't get sued- Indonesian hardware is cheap- fine. Pot metal saddles- check. Cheap OEM pickups- check. Cheap OEM fretwire-check. "Mystery Wood" construction- check"

Not that I'm the only guy who wants quality- most do and insist on it. But some of the stuff I read on here makes me laugh out loud. Like looking over an online retailer's shoulder at the NAMM show as they pick generic guitars out of a catalog for their "Spring Lineup".

I am anxious to see what the reaction is from the first 50 or so folks who get theirs over the next several days. Of course I expect many will love them, but some will not. That's the nature of something as personal as a guitar, and the nature of buying a guitar "Blind" on the internet. I realize how hard it is and we made a conscious decision to really try and pack so much value into each guitar that it's a no brainer. Rondo certainly has done a fine job of doing that- How can you go wrong with any of his $99 guitars??

In our case I am trying to tke the things guys spend $100++ on for modding, pickups, pots, switches etc. and build them in at the factory. Sure guys are still gonna want to experiment. If you've been the a GC lately you know half the store is Dimebag Darryl guitars and the other half is Squier affinity's. So we gotta find a good little niche and hit it a hard as we can.

And if posting better photographs than the competition is some insidious marketing plan designed to rule the forums...

• Members

Gee JJ- not really sure why you would give a {censored} about these... If you don't like em don't buy one.

I'm not really trying to develop a huge and deep guitar line that hits every single particular taste for every single particular player.

Just trying to get guitars made overseas that look and FEEL like quality instruments, for cheap. Pickups are criticial, fretwork is critical, pots and switch are critical- everything else is kinda bull{censored}, don't you think?

Don't care for them- OK. Part of the business of making VERY specific choices is you're gonna alienate like 90% of the marketplace, but if that 10% LOVES it you get a cult following... something I'm getting used to.

Part of running this business is I now know where all the bodies are buried...I know where every single brand name is manufactured- which factory in which city, which wood they use, which paint, and I even know how much real work they do to ensure their guitars are right. In some cases they have a man on the ground, checking quality and reading the paint labels and glue bottles- That's how I am doing it now- our guy is over there sending back digital pics of the guitar sin process so we know we're getting what we pay for. Other companies look at an OEM catalog at the Shanghai Music Fair and say- "Gimme 5,000 Les Pauls, 5,000 Strats and 5,000 teles- change the headstocks so I don't get sued- Indonesian hardware is cheap- fine. Pot metal saddles- check. Cheap OEM pickups- check. Cheap OEM fretwire-check. "Mystery Wood" construction- check"

Not that I'm the only guy who wants quality- most do and insist on it. But some of the stuff I read on here makes me laugh out loud. Like looking over an online retailer's shoulder at the NAMM show as they pick generic guitars out of a catalog for their "Spring Lineup".

I am anxious to see what the reaction is from the first 50 or so folks who get theirs over the next several days. Of course I expect many will love them, but some will not. That's the nature of something as personal as a guitar, and the nature of buying a guitar "Blind" on the internet. I realize how hard it is and we made a conscious decision to really try and pack so much value into each guitar that it's a no brainer. Rondo certainly has done a fine job of doing that- How can you go wrong with any of his $99 guitars??

In our case I am trying to tke the things guys spend $100++ on for modding, pickups, pots, switches etc. and build them in at the factory. Sure guys are still gonna want to experiment. If you've been the a GC lately you know half the store is Dimebag Darryl guitars and the other half is Squier affinity's. So we gotta find a good little niche and hit it a hard as we can.

And if posting better photographs than the competition is some insidious marketing plan designed to rule the forums...

For the record, I give you credit for your obvious restraint in your choice of

words. You'll certainly reap the benefits of it.;)

• Members

For the record, I give you credit for your obvious restraint in your choice of

words. You'll certainly reap the benefits of it.
;)

yeah it was tempting... too easy...

But he IS entitiled to his opinion- right??

I hate lots of popular stuff too..

In fact there's a whole forum where even mentioning "GFS" gets you banned!! So I'm used to it.

• Members

In fact there's a whole forum where even mentioning "GFS" gets you banned!! So I'm used to it.

JJ's opinion is as important as yours, mine or anyone else's. :thu:

• Members

I really like the looks of the tele style guitars, but I'm waiting to see what kind of hollowbody Jay will bring out. Hopefully something Gretschy with Nashville or Memphis pickups.

Yeah I thnk I mentioned thatthe other day- I am leaning more towards the NYII or NYIII pickups- which to me are far more authentic rockabilly style pickups- but we sell nashvilles like 10:1 over the NY series...

• Members

Oh...do tell! I'm up for some fun this week.:poke:
:D

Nah let them have their fun..

It's a forum moderated by a pickup maker.

All questions like "I'm looking for a great tele set for my Custom Shop Telecaster. Which Seymour Duncan would you recomend" are replied with this answer- "Forget Duncan- that's cheap factory junk - You want a set of XXX XXXX pickups- email XXX he'll take good care of you". EVERY thread includes a reply like that.

• Members

I don't like 90% of the people who come in my store. Mostly trailer park

hillbillies who just want stuff that's even cheaper than Walmart. I still treat

them politely, otherwise, they'd 'prolly come back with a shotgun. I thought

about selling guits, but there's not enough interest around here. There's a

couple of rapo little music stores in town, though I don't think most of these

people could scrape up $100-200 to save their lives. I sell them cheap army

surplus clothing for huntin', cheapo chinese-made knives (hillbillies love knives)

, airsoft guns, etc. The point is that a retailer has to find his niche and work

it. Both Jay and Kurt have done well in their niches, I would buy from one of

them, before buying anything from Bain Capital. There's good reason for that,

Both Jay and Kurt have always answered emails, always politely and never

made me feel that my business didn't matter.

Retail 101, LOLz.:lol:

• Members

The beauty of being a pure online retailer is you can sell a different breed of stuff. If I was a storefront I could not survive with my own brands- I'd need Duncan and Dimarzio and Fender- Ever walk into one of those family music stores a few miles down the road from the Fender dealer?? Usually the place is empty and they make a living off of music lesons and sheet music.

• Members

What forum is that? I know mentioning Eddie Van Halen at the MusicMan forums gets you in deep {censored}, but who would have that much of a grudge against you?

• Members

The beauty of being a pure online retailer is you can sell a different breed of stuff. If I was a storefront I could not survive with my own brands- I'd need Duncan and Dimarzio and Fender- Ever walk into one of those family music stores a few miles down the road from the Fender dealer?? Usually the place is empty and they make a living off of music lesons and sheet music.

True, that. Still, there is a market for music lessons. That's their niche.

• Members

tempting?

what, were you gonna "pwn" me? :rolleyes:

:bor:

• Members

Am I the only one here who is NOT in love with these new Xaviere models?

they look like {censored}in Mentos or something to me, yet most of you would probably suck a dick to get one -- what's the attraction? more cheap strats and teles, oh boy

the funniest part is all the folks who have never even touched or seen one are already speculating on how much better the quality is than anything else made in Asia under $1000

another HC frenzy -- maybe I'll pick one up on overstock.com for $60 at xmas time
:lol:

I'm definitely not. Call me silly (or a gear snob) but I buy guitars based on commitment to tone, playability and craftsmanship -- not price point. In my mind that rules out 90% of these Asian guitars.

A lot of people around here like cheap guitars. Nothing wring with that, you get a lot for what you pay for. However, many have the silly idea that these guitars and the way they are built will somehow supplant some of our great builders. To that I say, just buy and enjoy your inexpensive subcontracted guitars, but don't assume or pretend that every guitar player will. Personally I rather save my money and buy something really good. But again that is just me. If i was a 16 year old busboy these guitars would suit me, but I am not and they don't.

• Members

Just cause I have a Squier 51 sitting next to my Marshall doesn't mean i don't have a 66 Sg Special sitting there- or a 59 Rocjet, or a 59 R9 Reissue, or a PRS Artist 24.

You guys have this "either-Or" Mentality. What's wrong with a fun, cheap, good sounding, good playing guitar to add to the arsenal??

• Members

The burning ??? in my mind- Would anyone here fellate someone for
any
guit? Where would you people draw the line? An original '59 LP goldtop? David Gilmour's own strat? SRV's original strat? a $29 Fullerton? At what point would you people knob gobble?
:confused:

I need a set of strings...wheres the mouthwash?:D

• Members

I'm surprised at the angry reaction. Jay has brought an inexpensive guitar to market that has made some of us very happy.

Even if you guys hate these new models why do you care?

Inexpensive guitar. No big deal right? jj said, something like, another cheap strat and tele... :bor:

Just curious. Human behavior is fascinating. :cool: Good song writing material.

"I Got the GFS Cheap Guitars Blues". :rawk:

Archived