Bought a Gibson Faded at AMS and I'm disappointed.. please tell me what you think...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So you think that the top on that green guitar is nicer than the one on this Les Paul?

r8c.jpg
r8d.jpg

that is a very nice flame to me. i prefer the one on my guitar but that's just MHO. while your preferences of wavy, modest, straight, over the top, whatever it may be mar vary, i think it's common knowledge that certain things can make a top good or bad: bookmatching quality, consistency, making sure that it doesn't make the finish of the guitar appear blotchy, etc. i do like that top, but it's a rare exception if you ask me. there are some gibson tops that just make me shiver. :freak:

ps that green guitar is my new carvin. :wave:

• Members
The bookmatching on that guitar is horrendous, it would make a nice factory second for about $1200 bucks. Send it back, get you money back, and shop for a guitar in a store where you can see and play it first.

But the faded LPs are not supposed to be real lookers so the one you got realy isn`t bad looking at all.
Sounds like you aren`t really happy with the faded look as compared to the glosssy LPs so send it back now and go do some real shopping in real stores where you can see, feel, smell, play and listen to them. For that kind of money I wouldn`t {censored} around with buying on line.

:cool:

• Members

Again, Gibson did NOT bookmatch all of those 58-60 Les Paul Standards, nor did they use their best flame maple on the original bursts. That wood was reserved for the BACKS of their hollow bodied jazz guitars. There's a ton of variation. That's been their tradition and they have continued it to this day. The difference is that all of the original bursts sold for the same price whether they were figured or not.

So that's been my frame of reference. When I thumb thru the Beauty of the Burst, I see lots of different tops, some of them not very well matched, but they mostly have one thing in common--the gradation of the dark to light sections of the burst, if it is still present, is fairly smooth and even. The curl varies tremendously, and there are plenty of flat sawn tops with dramatic, flowing mediary grain that looks beautiful.

• Members

Hey guys:

I'm kinda new here but I need your feedback on an issue:

Last week I placed an order for a Tobacco Sunburst Faded Standard at AMS. Right after I placed the order online (before it was processed) I called them and asked if they could hand pick one with a nice top for me and they said it would be no problem.

Well I got the guitar today and I really don't like it. Actually seeing the pics of the Faded Standards on the web, it looks like EVERY guitar has a better top than mine. I am so disappointed it's not even funny.

I called AMS about returning it but they say it would take at least 2 weeks for me to get another one and NOW they're telling me that there is no way they can select tops because the warehouse is on the other side of the country, so there is a big possibility I will get another just like it. I wish I knew that when I placed the order.

what do you guys think? Should I just keep the guitar the way it is even though I am not 100% happy with it? Or should I send it back and wait 2 weeks and risk getting something just like this one?? Get a refund and go somewhere else?

Am I crazy for being upset about this? Am I being unreasonable?

I'm really bummed out because I've been wanting this thing forever and now that I can finally get it, it is not what I was expecting....

If your credit card can handle it, order 3 or 4 of them, and when they come in, pick your favorite, and send the rest back.

• Members

For what it's worth...E.M. Shorts is a great place to buy from. They have great customer service and they've always come through with very good prices.

They are great. I bought 3 Gretsch Setzer Hot Rods and nearly bought a Faded there. Services was really good and they'll do work on the guitar after the sale.

• Members

The bookmatching on that guitar is horrendous, it would make a nice factory second for about $1200 bucks. Send it back, get you money back, and shop for a guitar in a store where you can see and play it first.

I agree here. The color could work but the top looks really weird with flame on only one side

• Members

I've never heard Billy Gibbons talk about the way "Pearly" looks. Your guitar has plenty of credibility: It is a Les Paul made by Gibson, with a very distinctive look, like it's made from real wood by human hands. It looks like a real rock and roll machine. There is nothing wrong with high-end book-matching etc., but this one has a timeless cool quotient way beyond those guitars, I think. And you like the way it feels and plays which is a huge factor and doesn't happen with every guitar...make yourself happy, it is your choice, but that guitar doesn't have to impress anyone but you. In a store full of Les's, if that one played better than all the rest, then it would be a no-brainer for me to walk out with that one, but that's just me.

• Members
Hmmm, another likeee vote for that one

:confused:

Yeah me too, I think it looks great. A lot nicer than the VM I was considering. Of course, it's twice the price too.

But I've been seeing these new for $1500 or maybe less on ebay. Maybe I'll bite on one of these soon.

Archived