Bought a Gibson Faded at AMS and I'm disappointed.. please tell me what you think...

guitarbilly74

• Members

Hey guys:

I'm kinda new here but I need your feedback on an issue:

Last week I placed an order for a Tobacco Sunburst Faded Standard at AMS. Right after I placed the order online (before it was processed) I called them and asked if they could hand pick one with a nice top for me and they said it would be no problem.

Well I got the guitar today and I really don't like it. Actually seeing the pics of the Faded Standards on the web, it looks like EVERY guitar has a better top than mine. I am so disappointed it's not even funny.

I called AMS about returning it but they say it would take at least 2 weeks for me to get another one and NOW they're telling me that there is no way they can select tops because the warehouse is on the other side of the country, so there is a big possibility I will get another just like it. I wish I knew that when I placed the order.

what do you guys think? Should I just keep the guitar the way it is even though I am not 100% happy with it? Or should I send it back and wait 2 weeks and risk getting something just like this one?? Get a refund and go somewhere else?

Am I crazy for being upset about this? Am I being unreasonable?

I'm really bummed out because I've been wanting this thing forever and now that I can finally get it, it is not what I was expecting....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey guys:

I'm kinda new here but I need your feedback on an issue:

Last week I placed an order for a Tobacco Sunburst Faded Standard at AMS. Right after I placed the order online (before it was processed) I called them and asked if they could hand pick one with a nice top for me and they said it would be no problem.

Well I got the guitar today and I really don't like it. Actually seeing the pics of the Faded Standards on the web, it looks like EVERY guitar has a better top than mine. I am so disappointed it's not even funny.

I called AMS about returning it but they say it would take at least 2 weeks for me to get another one and NOW they're telling me that there is no way they can select tops because the warehouse is on the other side of the country, so there is a big possibility I will get another just like it. I wish I knew that when I placed the order.

what do you guys think? Should I just keep the guitar the way it is even though I am not 100% happy with it? Or should I send it back and wait 2 weeks and risk getting something just like this one?? Get a refund and go somewhere else?

Am I crazy for being upset about this? Am I being unreasonable?

I'm really bummed out because I've been wanting this thing forever and now that I can finally get it, it is not what I was expecting....

Send it back and select the one you like from here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LP5FTBNH/

• Members

It was very naive of you to believe they'd select you a top.

Pics?

I bought one unseen from 123 and it looked like it was topped with Heinz 57. I sent it back. I don't think you're being unreasonable but do think your expectations were high and based on false hope.

• Members

Sounds like the looks of a guitar mean more than how it sounds and plays to you. Sent it back and go find one in a shop that you can look at before you buy.

I don't believe that but I do think you should be happy with how it sounds, plays, AND looks. Especially spending over $1,000 on a guitar. Hell spending over $200 on a guitar...lol.

• Members

I

I bought one unseen from 123 and it looked like it was topped with Heinz 57. I sent it back. I don't think you're being unreasonable but do think your expectations were high and based on false hope.

Yes, I thought about that too, but is it really false hope when you call the company and they say "no problem, we will do it"? I even have the name of the person I talked too and the time of the call etc...

• Members
  • Members

It was very naive of you to believe they'd select you a top.

+1

However, there are some dealers out there (Wildwood Guitars in Colorado, for instance) where they will go through what they have and send you the best they got. Steve did this for me when I bought a Taylor 414CE Rosewood Limited from him. He had 4 in stock, so I asked him to pick out the one that had the best bookmatching...and he didn't disappoint me.

In your case, I'd just send it back. You can take your chance on another one, or you could just start hitting all the local Gibson dealers to try to find one in person you could live with.

• Members

+1

However, there are some dealers out there (Wildwood Guitars in Colorado, for instance) where they will go through what they have and send you the best they got. Steve did this for me when I bought a Taylor 414CE Rosewood Limited from him. He had 4 in stock, so I asked him to pick out the one that had the best bookmatching...and he didn't disappoint me.

In your case, I'd just send it back. You can take your chance on another one, or you could just start hitting all the local Gibson dealers to try to find one in person you could live with.

There is that place in California that TattoedCarrot frequents that i came super close to buying from but didn't when 123 met their price match. Can't remember what its called.

• Members

I really like that guitar...it might grown on ya quick.I just bought a shell pink strat, talk about something differant ..Now a favorite. Looking at it more closely it really is classy guitar. I would take it in a second. How does she play..?

• Members

*rant

gibson's figured tops are horrid if you ask me. i love les pauls but i only like the plain tops. they're often terribly bookmatched with no decent looks to them. prs, carvin, anderson, and a bunch of other brands make gibson's tops look like a joke.

*end rant

EDIT: on second thought, this may be off topic, because i honestly can't tell if those tops are supposed to be figured or not. but here is my evidence to support my idea of a good top (flamed in this case):

n1124520220_30073925_5721.jpg

Archived