Bought a Gibson Faded at AMS and I'm disappointed.. please tell me what you think...

guitarbilly74

• Members

Funkytone speak's the truth, & well said. When I bought my R8 I had some issue that can happen to anyone, & sounds like you got it made in this area. I had a bad buzz in the bridge, it turned out to be a miss-drilled saddle that wouldn't seat in the bridge, it just rocked side to side & buzzed like a banshi..I tore them & the spring retainer & toss em in the can, on went some TUSK & all good, had the plastic nut replaced w. bone, that worried me, but Portland Fret Works does excellent work..then finally I could play the damn thing...& play the {censored} out of it..It gets dings & dings & plays better with every scratch or whatever, your guitar if plays & sounds as said, might not be so easy to pull off on the next..unless your guitar is for a hanger or case baby, then really think hard about what counts at least from the player aspect. but then again if it really is driving you nutts three is some great suggestions told to ya. But really guy, when you put some miles on that thing it will be so mojo riddled only a R & R king could play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!My best guitar to me from a player aspect is a plain old & beat black SG standard, the second I pick it up I could care less what the hell it looked like..It play's itself & I transform into whatever I want play.That guitar you have screams Rock & Roll....I personally can't stand a perfect book match, one like Doc's is very cool, & would have bought that in a heart beat for what he paid if flame is what I was after,..superb flamer he has..How mant days do you have to make your mind up..?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it sure doesn't!
:(

I saw this auction and I actually had that picture as my desktop background for the last couple of days. THAT is what I was expecting (or something similar).

The tone is to die for though. It really sounds and plays amazing... (I'm jamming with it while I'm watching this thread ..lol)

Then what are ya' complaining about?

I think it looks great.

• Members

another pic with more detail...

newlp02.jpg

In all honesty, I wouldn't accept that either.

I don't like how it has a tiny bit of flame on one side running horizontally and no flame with the grain running vertically on the other. The finish with random dark splotches looks awful to me also.

If the thing is supposed to be flamed than it should have a nice even flame consistently throughout the top. That one just has two horribly mismatched pieces of wood.

No other guitar maker would ever put out a top like that but Gibson seems to be able to use the worst looking wood and people still buy it.

I don't get it.

• Members

well.. i talked to a luthier friend of mine and he suggested me to polish the top with Meguiar Step II polish. I had already read about it at the Les Paul forum so I decided to give it a try.

I like the top much better now, there are some nice flames on it, they were just hidden by the faded finish:

newlp07.jpg

• Members

well.. i talked to a luthier friend of mine and he suggested me to polish the top with Meguiar Step II polish. I had already read about it at the Les Paul forum so I decided to give it a try.

I like the top much better now, there are some nice flames on it, they were just hidden by the faded finish:

newlp07.jpg

Wow. That looks really nice.

That gets me thinking... ;)

• Members

newlp07.jpg

If it's a "player", if it fits you, if you like the tone,,, I'd say KEEP that puppy.

• Members

newlp07.jpg

The Classic Gibson begins to sing:....

-'Don't give up on us baby, We're still worth one more try.

I know we put the last one by

Just for that rainy feelin'

and many stars are blue

Don't give up on us I know

We can still come Through!!

Don't give up on us baby....

Don't give up on us.....'-

:thu:

Archived