Bought a Gibson Faded at AMS and I'm disappointed.. please tell me what you think...

guitarbilly74

• Members
another pic with more detail...

newlp02.jpg

I like it. looks like a real workhorse guitar.

Getr that thing gigging and it'll look real sweet a couple of years down the line.

I tend to like flaming with obvious flaws...makes it look like wood and not a picture.

I like the top on my Standard because it isn't a perfect bookmatched even flame...it's my LP and whilst I think it looks great, I love that I would know it in a room of LPs by sight..it's unique!.

:thu:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's definately not horrendous, but I can see why you're disappointed.

If you aren't 100% happy with it, send it back. Too much money not to be pleased as punch with it.

I kind of like it, but it definately looks "washed out". Not faded, but rather like a kid took brown shoe polish to it.

• Members

Another quick thought...If it plays excellent & has nice tones you really like & fits you like a old soft leather glove, then you should REALLY...think about keeping it.ordering on-line has it's merits, but the obviouse can happen over & over again, you get bad players & have to struggle w/ getting them to your likeing & more times than not never getting them to your likeing. Play that thing for a bit longer before you get return crazy.. A guitar that you thoroughly enjoy playing & do not want to put down are far & few between.. play it man....then decided..it is a nice looking guitar,, you don't want that perfect looking cookie cutter {censored} anyway......

• Members
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-50-neck-tobacco-sunburst_W0QQitemZ230175804041QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sure doesn't look like this one!

it sure doesn't! :(

I saw this auction and I actually had that picture as my desktop background for the last couple of days. THAT is what I was expecting (or something similar).

The tone is to die for though. It really sounds and plays amazing... (I'm jamming with it while I'm watching this thread ..lol)

• Members

The problem with the faded Standards, in my opinion, is that they don't spray the stain on the top--they wipe it on with a rag. It gets blotchy and the gradation is very uneven, but it's probably a saves on the cost of producing the guitar.

When you combine that with a matte finish, it looks sort of cheesy to me, like an amateur did it in a garage. I would not keep a guitar that looks like yours, but a lot of people would love it. I'm a little more traditional when it comes to Les Pauls, and for me, the faded finish just doesn't work.

• Members

If you look at original bursts, probably only half of them were bookmatched. I think that flitch matched tops look great, especially if the top is partially or fully flatsawn. My biggest complaint about a lot of the higher end Les Paul reissues is that they are quarter sawn and too perfectly bookmatched.

This is my current favorite. It's an R4 that I bought last summer for only $2K. It's flitch matched and flat sawn toward the outside edges with just a hint of figure on the left side:

r4b.jpg

• Members

The problem with the faded Standards, in my opinion, is that they don't spray the stain on the top--they wipe it on with a rag. It gets blotchy and the gradation is very uneven, but it's probably a saves on the cost of producing the guitar.

When you combine that with a matte finish, it looks sort of cheesy to me, like an amateur did it in a garage. I would not keep a guitar that looks like yours, but a lot of people would love it. I'm a little more traditional when it comes to Les Pauls, and for me, the faded finish just doesn't work.

I hear you. The main why I went with the Faded is that I really like the feel of the neck. It feels more organic and raw than the thick nitro finish that Gibson normally uses

• Members

I hear you. The main why I went with the Faded is that I really like the feel of the neck. It feels more organic and raw than the thick nitro finish that Gibson normally uses

I'd rather play a $12 walmart special than a thick nitro finish. UGH! Same reason I bought a Faded Standard and same reason I bought the VM.

• Members

See, that's where the problem comes in. It was naive to think that they would search through every guitar and get "the best one" for you. Secondly, as you can see from this post, "best top" means different things to different people. Some of us prefer the subdued elegance of a more modest flame that may even have a few wood flaws in it. Realism is the top priority. Some prefer the extremely overdone tiger flames like the green guitar posted. So, what IS best?

• Members

Sure doesn't look like this one!

For what it's worth...E.M. Shorts is a great place to buy from. They have great customer service and they've always come through with very good prices.

• Members

See, that's where the problem comes in. It was naive to think that they would search through every guitar and get "the best one" for you.

I know. But then they shouldn't say they would do it.

I was very specific about how I wanted the top and the girl acted like she was taking notes etc.

That's what pissing me off the most actually. The guitar is already growing on me...

• Members
*rant

gibson's figured tops are horrid if you ask me. i love les pauls but i only like the plain tops. they're often terribly bookmatched with no decent looks to them. prs, carvin, anderson, and a bunch of other brands make gibson's tops look like a joke.

*end rant

EDIT: on second thought, this may be off topic, because i honestly can't tell if those tops are supposed to be figured or not. but here is my evidence to support my idea of a good top (flamed in this case):

n1124520220_30073925_5721.jpg

So you think that the top on that green guitar is nicer than the one on this Les Paul?

r8c.jpg
r8d.jpg

• Members
OMG!!!
:(

That Les Paul was, and still is, the most I've ever paid, and probably will ever pay for a guitar. I went to Wildwood and looked through their inventory and found three or four that I liked. Then I played them for a couple of hours, went home and came back the next day with 30 $100 bills. There were two with better looking tops, but the tone on this one was really sweet. The bass has gotten a little flabby the last year or so. I may have to find some different pickups or go to some different type of strings. It still sounds pretty amazing.

Archived