Will a recession or the economy stifle your GAS?

curseoftruth

• Members

It has mine for sure. I have my DOT fund jar sitting there with more than enough to go buy my Epi Dot (I have over $500 in it). But, with the recent economic downturn and the near future looking bleak, I think I'm going to hang on to my cash for a while, put in into my savings account or a money market so at least it can earn a little interest and I'll have it for a rainy day if needed. No GAS for me! Well, I'll still have GAS but it will have to wait. Now I think I know why I've been so hesitant to spend any money on gear.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It won't stifle my GAS at all. In fact, hopefully I'll be able to pick up some gear for a discount from people who want/need to sell.

I wonder, if the dollar is getting weaker compared to asian currency, doesnt that mean the Rondo/Xaviere stuff should be going up in price?

In theory, the prices should be going up. My guess is there is so much margin on that equipment that the manufacturer/reseller is will eat the FX risk to keep the prices/demand stable in the states. Why turn off the faucet to your biggest customer. (just my guess)

• Members

that's what makes a Roth IRA so good - you pay the taxes NOW, rather than when you cash it in, because taxes sure ain't gonna get any lower between now and retirement age.

if only I had known this stuff when I was 25 and working my ass off without batting an eye.

Now I'm 40 and broken down...
:cry:

Hell, try going from a big bucks job to being out of work for almost a year (2004). I lost almost everything I had worked hard to save. Just now am I starting to recover within the last year. I had to cash in about everything I had to survive and most of my investments had taken huge hits just a few years earlier. I'm being overly cautious these days. I just got my W2, good year last year :D

I'm very set gear wise, 2 Les Pauls (and Epi Custom and Gibby VM) and an SG Classic plus I have my Marshall DSL halfstack and an Orange Rockverb 50. I'll still buy pedals and stuff but probably nothing over $150. I still have my wireless as well for when we start gigging again in the spring.

• Members

During a recession should be possible to find the best deals as that's when people will be selling their stuff to cover unexpected layoff and expenses. I'm certainly not saying I want a recession, but good deals on many things can be had. Of course, this won't be the case if you happen to be one of those unfortunate people who's job gets moved overseas. :mad:

P.S. If everyone hunkers down and quits spending it'll only worsen the recession.

• Members
Hell, try going from a big bucks job to being out of work for almost a year (2004). I lost almost everything I had worked hard to save. Just now am I starting to recover within the last year. I had to cash in about everything I had to survive and most of my investments had taken huge hits just a few years earlier. I'm being overly cautious these days. I just got my W2, good year last year
:D

I'm very set gear wise, 2 Les Pauls (and Epi Custom and Gibby VM) and an SG Classic plus I have my Marshall DSL halfstack and an Orange Rockverb 50. I'll still buy pedals and stuff but probably nothing over $150. I still have my wireless as well for when we start gigging again in the spring.

Brian, they informed me I could open a tax free account in my band's name at GC, it has helped alot this year. I never really cared about taxes, but after getting divorced and having to pay last year, I will this year. I'm writing off every musical item I bought this year and all of my jam room rent !!! If Bush gives us another tax relief check, I'll be buying another guitar

• Members
Until I get a raise, or energy costs go down or at least stop increasing (good luck with that one) I don't really have a choice.

Energy costs and fuel prices have been rising for a while now. I'm actually surprised it's taken so long for a recession to kick in. At least that bastard Greenspan is gone as he would still be tightening credit at the Fed. We'd be in serious deep doo-doo if he were still around.

• Members

What's funny is I just made more money than I ever have in my life last year and I'm not spending it. Guess getting older is making me a bit wiser as well. It's almost more about what I can accumulate and save and grow than what I can spend and this recent economy is driving that point home. Even if the economy wasn't going into the toilet, I'd have the same mindset. Getting old seems to be a good GAS fighter.

• Members
Hell, try going from a big bucks job to being out of work for almost a year (2004). I lost almost everything I had worked hard to save. Just now am I starting to recover within the last year. I had to cash in about everything I had to survive and most of my investments had taken huge hits just a few years earlier. I'm being overly cautious these days. I just got my W2, good year last year
:D

I know your pain - I blew my back out in 2004... I just got my disability last year. :mad:

I kept thinking I'd get better and be able to get back to work, but it never happened... :cry:

• Members
I know your pain - I blew my back out in 2004... I just got my disability
last year
:mad:

I kept thinking I'd get better and be able to get back to work, but it never happened...
:cry:

I kept thinking my back would get better too. I'm in the first stage of appeals toward SS disability. I hurt whether I'm sitting down, lying down, standing or walking. Standing and walking are by far the most pain inducing though.

I really miss being able to do the things I used to be able to do and took for granted.

• Members

I kept thinking my back would get better too. I'm in the first stage of appeals toward SS disability. I hurt whether I'm sitting down, lying down, standing or walking. Standing and walking are by far the most pain inducing though.

I really miss being able to do the things I used to be able to do and took for granted.

yup, it's damn tough - tougher than I ever thought it would be...

I used to fight in Tae Kwon Do tournaments, now I have to decide on whether I can make it back from grocery shopping okay. Some days I can go around the house without my cane - some days I can't even get out of bed(last Saturday).

My wife is a saint - I couldn't have survived this without her.

• Members

I just got a job couple o months ago(Im 16) and i got about 700 in cash right now, and a used boogie is in my near future, but after that its goin in the savings account with a high interest rate, and might I mention, taxes SUCK! I am not looking forward to paying these bad boys for the rest of my life! Getting a job and paying for all my own stuff has really opened my eyes

• Members

yup, it's damn tough - tougher than I ever thought it would be...

I used to fight in Tae Kwon Do tournaments, now I have to decide on whether I can make it back from grocery shopping okay. Some days I can go around the house without my cane - some days I can't even get out of bed(last Saturday).

My wife is a saint - I couldn't have survived this without her.

Dude, that sucks. I hurt my back a couple years ago, and its no picnic. Ever try an inversion table?

Archived