Will a recession or the economy stifle your GAS?

curseoftruth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I pay less than $ 3 per gallon in NJ.
Still put $600+ into my tank every month. I'm on the road a ton.

We NEED to drill for oil here where we have it and build refineries, here where we can build them safely and operate them safely. It would go a long way towards weening us off of imported oil.

If any other country had oil sitting underneath they would drill for it. China is drill for oil off of Cuba. Why aren't we?
Don't you think that our oil rig operations would be safer to run than the Chinese version?

All of that aside I will save what I can but I will make sure I am still keeping my part of the economy going.
If it means working harder to keep things the same I guess I know what I need to do.

• Members

We NEED to drill for oil here where we have it and build refineries, here where we can build them safely and operate them safely. It would go a long way towards weening us off of imported oil.

Problem is every time someone tries they are hammered with law suits from environmentalist groups.

I'd love for the U.S. to become energy independent before my life's over. Don't think it's going to happen though.

• Members

It has mine for sure. I have my DOT fund jar sitting there with more than enough to go buy my Epi Dot (I have over $500 in it). But, with the recent economic downturn and the near future looking bleak, I think I'm going to hang on to my cash for a while, put in into my savings account or a money market so at least it can earn a little interest and I'll have it for a rainy day if needed. No GAS for me! Well, I'll still have GAS but it will have to wait. Now I think I know why I've been so hesitant to spend any money on gear.

not me.I worked hard to get a great job and a fixed rate mortgage. The so-called recession will not affect me.

• Members
How does $7.47 per gallon compare with petrol prices round your parts?

That's apparently the cheapest price on 95 RON unleaded in my locale.

Edit: Read '
gas
prices'.

How many cylinders do your car's engines have over there? Is four the norm?

• Members

not me.I worked hard to get a great job and a fixed rate mortgage. The so-called recession will not affect me.

Don't ever be lulled into a trap of security. And I don't know what bubble you live in to call this a so called recession coming up or you work for the government or Microsoft. I too have a great job and make a lot of money. I'm known as one of the workaholic freaks in my company and I am a senior person in the company. I have a fixed mortgage. But things happen you might not foresee. Economic downturns will do all kinds of things to a company. I was with a Fortune 100 company in the late 90 early 00s and we had a 10,000 person layoff (first round). I survived three rounds of it before I just quit, but had to do some of the laying off of my team, some very good, well paid people who really didn't deserve to be laid off. The names were chosen at levels above my and the reasons were just stupid some of the time. For instance, we ran out of space at our facility at one time so they started making new hires telecommute in the late 90s. I had two key guys on my team who worked from home and probably were my best guys and crucial to the team. First round of lay-offs -- all contractors and telecommuters. No questions asked, didn't matter what they did or who they worked for. Just dumb stuff like that. So you should never feel safe unless you own the company.

• Members

It has mine. I already have more guitars than skills. U can't buy skills, so I'll
make do with the 15 or so guits I have now. The only GAS I have is for a Martin D-28 or Gibson J-200 jumbo. That ain't happening, so I'm pretty much
GAS free. I get GAS pains for Firebirds sometimes, but economic reality is
not to be denied.

• Members

No, because GAS can be summed up in this equation:

G=(D/M)*S

Where G is GAS, D is desire, M is money and S is strife from the significant other. For any amount of desire you have for a guitar, the less money you have, the higher the level of resulting gas (I call this gas point 1). However, you have to take gas point 1 and multiply it by the levels of strife from the wife, husband or other significant other. The higher the strife, the higher the gas.

This equation works on the principle that deprivation breeds want, and that wants are increased by feelings of guilt.

so, in short, economic recession will probably increase the global quantum of GAS.

• Members

Don't ever be lulled into a trap of security. And I don't know what bubble you live in to call this a so called recession coming up or you work for the government or Microsoft. I too have a great job and make a lot of money. I'm known as one of the workaholic freaks in my company and I am a senior person in the company. I have a fixed mortgage. But things happen you might not foresee. Economic downturns will do all kinds of things to a company. I was with a Fortune 100 company in the late 90 early 00s and we had a 10,000 person layoff (first round). I survived three rounds of it before I just quit, but had to do some of the laying off of my team, some very good, well paid people who really didn't deserve to be laid off. The names were chosen at levels above my and the reasons were just stupid some of the time. For instance, we ran out of space at our facility at one time so they started making new hires telecommute in the late 90s. I had two key guys on my team who worked from home and probably were my best guys and crucial to the team. First round of lay-offs -- all contractors and telecommuters. No questions asked, didn't matter what they did or who they worked for. Just dumb stuff like that. So you should never feel safe unless you own the company.

Yeah, security is really an illusion these days. I went through similar turmoil back in the early 2000s. If you are married with a working spouse, the key is to have a fixed rate mortage you can easily pay if one of you loses a job (and can't find another one). If you are single, having a mortgage you can pay if you lose your job and have to work for minimum wage (or survive on unemployment) until the economy improves is not a bad idea, either. I forsee lots more McMansions in foreclosure in the next year...

• Members

It seems to already have seeped in.

I'm looking to move my Martin OOM and get into a Gretch G5120, that should be doable. In my search I found a Mahogany Parker Nitefly which I have been lusting after. In the old days...I'd get 'em both. It's just not going to happen and unfortunately the Parker is the more expendable of the choices.

So very sad. I hope the potential new job will kick in a signing bonus!!!!

Archived