jjpistols

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.

That's interesting you mentioned that cause I heard an interview with tom morrello one time and he said the same thing.....He thought when he was a kid looking up to guys like tony iommi and richie blackmore as well as clapton etc that you'd have to own a castle on a scotish loch to be able to be in a band but all that changed for him when he heard the clash etc.

I think it really is a generational thing. I mean all the guys I knew picked up guitars cause of guys like warren demartini, robin crosby, randy rhodes, smith and murray,,and all the rest of the metal guys.

• Members

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

It would have to be someone from the baby boomer generation, just by the fact that the shear number of boomers overwhelms gen xers and what ever other generation you want to bring up. So, I'd say Beatles. Even for electric, yes.

• Members

In my day Ace Frehley was the man. Page and Hendrix had already made their mark (which I wouldn't realize until later in life). My 13 year old was awed by Kurt Cobain. It's kind of weird that Kurt Cobain would be looked at as any kind of guitar hero because he really wasn't. Great songwriter though...

• Members

The existence of the vagina. :D

I think you're probably right and Cobain is high up there. I remember reading somewhere that guitar sales went through the roof during the whole "grunge" explosion, so that would make sense.

Now it might actually be John Mayer.

• Members

For me and a lot of my friends it was actually David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Yea I grew up listening to the Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, but once I heard "Echoes" I wanted to learn guitar. I had been playing piano and bassoon for a while, so I loved the way he created melody within his guitar lines, it wasn't just some guy shredding, like Malmsteen or something.

• Members

My 13 year old was awed by Kurt Cobain. It's kind of weird that Kurt Cobain would be looked at as any kind of guitar hero because he really wasn't. Great songwriter though...

You might just be getting the point.

Not all n00B guitarists want to be shredders. Some of them simply want to grab a guitar, get up there and tell the world what life looks and feels like to them in something approaching song form.

(Whilst enhancing their sex appeal, of course ...)

• Members

why are people saying {censored} like "well for me it was..."

I'm talking about the world, people - it ain't about you!

I am not asking who inspired you. I am not asking who your favorite guitarist is.

I AM asking:

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

now twy again - this time, with feewing

• Members

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.

if the topic was "which band inspired more people to start a band" I'd have to argue Ramones all day, even above The Beatles, who would be right up there

I'd still guess at least half the people inspired to pick up guitar by The Beatles went acoustic though, and never strayed - just a gut feeling, but I got a big gut

Tezmond - I doubt more than a dozen people said "I'm getting an electric guitar cuz the one dude from Dire Straits with the sweatband on his head plays guitar" - sorry dude, Knopfler is one of the tastiest guitarists around, but I don't think he has the mass appeal to be in the running -- I'm sure he's important to you, but this ain't about you

• Members

if the topic was "which band inspired more people to start a band" I'd have to argue Ramones all day, even above The Beatles, who would be right up there

I'd still guess at least half the people inspired to pick up guitar by The Beatles went acoustic though, and never strayed - just a gut feeling, but I got a big gut

Tezmond - I doubt more than a dozen people said "I'm getting an electric guitar cuz the one dude from Dire Straits with the sweatband on his head plays guitar" - sorry dude, Knopfler is one of the tastiest guitarists around, but I don't think he has the mass appeal to be in the running -- I'm sure he's important to you, but this ain't about you

The reason I stated what I did was because that's what was popular up where I'm from & when I grew up,not the Ramones.There wasn't a big punk following but you bring in a hard rocker and everyone was there. I'd say AC/DC did more inspiring than the Ramones.

Archived