inspirations

jjpistols

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Winner of the "You've got to be {censored}in kidding me" award.

you don't remember all the kids at your school having Robert Fripp posters in their lockers?!?! :eek:

kinda surprised I haven't seen Frampton yet, though

• Members

When I talk to kids who are just starting out, everyone of them mention SRV as a big influence.

Tab book sales would be one of the best ways to measure this.

If I had to bet who leads in that department it would be Metallica.

I would've guessed most younger people got into SRV after already playing for a bit

Metallica seems a very good choice for the last 15 years, though

• Members

Who was it originally said that Jimi Hendrix sold more Strats -- a model which had become so unfashionable before he arrived that Fender were seriously thinking of discontinuing it -- than all of the company's sales and marketing teams?

I know I've quoted it in the past, but I'd like to know who was first ...

• Members

Winner of the "You've got to be {censored}in kidding me" award.

really!

Seeing zappa play his SG on Baby Snakes was way cool. He does these weird things with his left hand.

Fripp was a shock, seeing as he play sitting down and almost expression-less.

Euroboy plain ROCKS.

I forgot to add Randy Rhoads and Angus Young.

• Members

Who was it originally said that Jimi Hendrix sold more Strats -- a model which had become so unfashionable before he arrived that Fender were seriously thinking of discontinuing it -- than all of the company's sales and marketing teams?

I know I've quoted it in the past, but I'd like to know who was first ...

Probably George Harrison:lol:

• Members

Every single person I know either learned every Metallica, every AC/DC, or every Nirvana, song when first starting, and really only wanted to do that when they first picked up the guitar.

So for the 20-to-32-ish year old generation: Hetfield, Angus, Cobain, with honorable mention to Slash (arguably as high on the list as the rest).

But if you go generations back, it's folks like Ace.... then prob. Page... Clapton... Keef... then probably going back all the way to the birth of rock n roll to Chuck Berry.

There's a lot of variables here - genre (punk was a huge influence on a sheer number of kids picking up guitars as has been mentioned, not to mention the numbers of metal-lovin' guitarist wannabees), generation / age group, geographical location, etc. Definitely going to skew the opinions a lot.

It's a bit too open of a question. But we love those kind of questions here at HCEG, don't we...! :cop:

• Members

The Beatles more than anyone.

And there still doing it.

Yes, like it or not, it all goes back to the Beatles. Clapton, Beck, Page, Hendrix - It doesn't matter who you name, they would not have been able to push through anything like they did had the massive revolutionary engine of the Beatles not preceded them. The hugeness of it will never be seen again.

But after the Beatles? I'd say Clapton.

• Members

Frankly -- looking back at my own 60s teenhood, there was simply so much great music around, and so many great players, that it's incredibly difficult to say that any one of them tipped the balance. From Hank Marvin with The Shadows (who was my first guitar hero before the arrival of The Beatles) through my discovery of the Stones (and, through them, Chuck'n Bo and the blues greats like Muddy, John Lee'n all), The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Who ... all the great Stax/Atlantic, Motown and James Brown stuff ... Dylan, The Byrds and all the folkies ... what I couldn't understand was how anybody growing up at that time could NOT want to play guitar.

• Moderators
I guess it depends on the generation that was inspired by the player...

If I was going for an all time inspiration I guess I'd go for the beatles
:)

READ DA QUESTION!!!

JJ said:

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

Every time a guitar walk out da door da salesman he say tank ya ta da Lawd Jimi:thu:

• Members

I keep rolling it over in my head and I keep coming up with Page. Maybe Van Halen.

Cobain...maybe, but grunge was kinda the death of the guitar solo. It became less of a flash instrument and more of a band instrument. But yes, a lot of folks started wanting to say what they had to say and cobain had a sort of everyman appeal that said "If this guy can do it, anybody can." So, I'd have to say Richie Sambora cause it got him into Heather Locklear's pants.

• Members

I was thinking in terms that the music was
a) guitar based rock
b)multi generational
c)Popular

So if a given group had a song in the charts say the top ten for ages then re emerged say 10 or 15 years later and a new generation got into them, then they would have reached a wider audience.

Archived