One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't:

GY

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, this is gonna start a flood of stuff.

The web site mentions one thing, though, that I've never quite understood: The Mac community. I have no idea what that means. I own a G4, and I've never been issued an ID card or anything. Do I get discounts to swanky restaurants or get past the velvet ropes at exclusive clubs? Are there town meetings, a secret handshake? :D

Anyway, I use both kinds of computers. They're tools, nothing more, so I completely sidestep the PC vs. Mac pissing match.

• Members

The web site mentions one thing, though, that I've never quite understood: The Mac community. I have no idea what that means. I own a G4, and I've never been issued an ID card or anything. Do I get discounts to swanky restaurants or get past the velvet ropes at exclusive clubs? Are there town meetings, a secret handshake?
:D

You didn't meet the secret requirements. Too bad. :p

• Members

Well, this is gonna start a flood of stuff.

The web site mentions one thing, though, that I've never quite understood: The Mac community. I have no idea what that means. I own a G4, and I've never been issued an ID card or anything. Do I get discounts to swanky restaurants or get past the velvet ropes at exclusive clubs? Are there town meetings, a secret handshake?
:D

Anyway, I use both kinds of computers. They're tools, nothing more.

Dear Mr. Ali: We regret that the above statement disqualifies you from joining the Mac community. However, you are still eligible to spend money on Apple-related products.

Sincerely,

The Mac Community Eligibility Committee

"An Apple a day keeps Windows away"

• Members

i run windows and os x on my macbook pro. Theres things i like about both, tho if all my windows proggies ran in os x i'd never use xp.

Anyway, the guy on that website is obviously an arsehole, he doesn't like musicians and called us all unemployed!...Oh wait.

• Members

I run both, and both have their points, but I prefer the mac. However, the network diagnoses stuff, mapping, admin (novell) and other software on the PC side are better. OSX runs most, but at the command line, not gui, which complicates things a bit for me anyway.

And, I tried a OSX with Parallels on it....blech...talk about kludging up a machine...I have yet to run an emulator on anything that 'solves' the need for 2 machines.

• Members

Hah Hah! That was really funny! And uncomfortably true for some people, I'm sure.

Most of his commentaries are. It's the kind of thing you read and consistently laugh your ass off at, then you read one and say, "Wait a minute, he's talking about people like me!!":mad:

• Members

I would consider either machine. The one thing that keeps me out of a Mac right now is value an unkown quality. The Intel Macs are fairly new. Only the power mac gets good expansion options. For around $800.00 you get a PC with on board firewire, usb2, pci and pci express slots. Cheap Macs only onboard firewire and usb. Some folks on new Macs had issues with firewire or usb.

I think my new computer will be a Windows XP machine, but if I had more cash I might go with a Powermac. I will hedge my bets though. I plan on using Reaper and or Tracktion. Both are going to be Mac/Pc able. That way if I jump ship or own both, I won't have to relearn an app.

• Members

Don't worry, Windows XP can't crash. Maybe some not so good software crashes, the system can't. I can't remember when one of the three XP production machines at my workplace crashed, and they run 24/7. The latest Mac for cutting HDTV, brought circa 5 months ago, doesn't crash either, said the cutter. I guess he would shoot the seller if the Mac would crash, the whole high definition Mac system did cost $35k

• Members

I think the guy who wrote the article has Mac envy. He secretly wants to be a part of the community.

As a user of both Mac and PC (networked and MIDI'd and ADAT'd together), I can honestly say they both suck and they're both great.

Why, oh why, do I use a PC when I could have just bought another Mac? Well, just try to build a reasonably priced high end Mac that supports RAID 0 and you'll see. RAID 0 is great for orchestral sample playback.

The PC supports RAID 0 wonderfully via Intel chipset. Apple still can't do that without a bunch of extra effort and products. Shame on Apple. Besides that, I overclock my PC and it works great. Try to do that with a Mac Pro.

My PC, however, is hampered by a brain dead XP operating system that can only see 2 Gbytes of RAM. Maybe Vista will fix this, but until Kontakt and all my other music apps run well in Vista, it doesn't matter.

• Members

As of right now, I'll go on record as saying Vista is the most bogged, buggy release of Windows since ME. It is so loaded with DRM stuff, that the OS cannot run. I am talking Core Duo2 with1.5-2 gb ram.....sloooooowwww.....2 years rfom now, I am sure it will be rock solid, for now, I am sticking with XP.

• Members

My PC, however, is hampered by a brain dead XP operating system that can only see 2 Gbytes of RAM. Maybe Vista will fix this, but until Kontakt and all my other music apps run well in Vista, it doesn't matter.

huh? the application can only see 2GB, but the system can "see" 3.25, but actually run 3.4GB and multiple applications can take advantage of it. i noticed a fairly large improvement moving to 4GB in XPpro.

as i wait for this whole Vista thing to settle out...

thats some funny {censored} though. UstadKhanAli, you have to drink the kool-aid to get the memebership card, but you also have to give your brain to Jobs at the initiation.

• Members

Dear Mr. Ali: We regret that the above statement disqualifies you from joining the Mac community. However, you are still eligible to spend money on Apple-related products.

Sincerely,

The Mac Community Eligibility Committee

"An Apple a day keeps Windows away"

Dear The Mac Community Eligibility Committee,

I sincerely apologize for publicly sympathizing with the PC guy in your "Hi, I'm a PC...and I'm a Mac" commercials. He reminded me of a white version of me Poppie, a good man, and could feel the pain of his alleged clumsiness.

Oh, how I wish for just a glimpse of the revelry that surely must occur in The Mac Community. If only your Committee could realize that I too have a chic-looking blue computer that matches with my Tibetan wall-hangings and blue lava lamp in my Blueberry Buddha Recording Studio, I believe you'd understand that I deserved to learn the Secret Handshake, get a complimentary Cisco iPhone, and obtain all the recordings of your Beatles catalog. Please reconsider.

Breathlessly,

Ustad Khan Ali

P.S. Can I still use my PC? It's grown up with my Mac and they never fight at all...

• Members

huh? the application can only see 2GB, but the system can "see" 3.25, but actually run 3.4GB and multiple applications can take advantage of it. i noticed a fairly large improvement moving to 4GB in XPpro.

as i wait for this whole Vista thing to settle out...

thats some funny {censored} though. UstadKhanAli, you have to drink the kool-aid to get the memebership card, but you also have to give your brain to Jobs at the initiation.

I'm just running Kontakt, so the fact that the app can only see 2 Gbytes is all that matters. I don't have need of running another app alongside it, although the idea of running two standalone instances of Kontakt has occurred to me.

Still, until/unless a LOT more memory is available, it doesn't matter.

If a truly 64-bit OS were available and Kontakt ran in it, I could load up my system with oodles of RAM and load an entire orchestra into it.

I'd be willing to deal with all the DRM and other garbage if they'd provide this software for me.

• Members

I realize they are both tools, a means to an end; however, after setting up my wife's Dell with my iMac in a simple Ethernet network, I gotta wonder about the approach Microsoft and Dell have toward their customers.

Let's say that, since we are on some kind of virtual highway here, we have lots of billboards advertising different stuff. With the Mac, those signs are there alongside the path, begging you to click. With the wife's and the daughter's PC's, the billboards are smack in the middle of the road and you have to stop the car, get out, do a denial dance, then, and only then, will you be allowed to proceed. On one of the Dells, there is some McAfee software that wants you to "verify" your subscription or you will suffer dire viral consequences. You cannot boot the computer and start working, you must click by several boxes before you can be allowed into the Great Unknown. I guess there are ways to remove some of this trash from the computer, but I have little patience for a tool that requires me to remove its advertising before I can use it.

• Members

I like to think of MYSELF as the crotchetiest, grumpiest guy on the web but I gotta say this guy seems to need to take the apple a day thing to heart... I suspect he's backing up and will feel better when he's back on schedule. If you know what I mean.

There are very real reasons I made the choices I've made with regard to platform and, sure, I occasionally find some folks' attitudes silly-to-insufferable, and, yes, I DO keep a folder in my bookmarks called "It just works" filled with stories about how it doesn't always (just for when I'm feeling crotchety and mean spirited) -- but I'm not sure I want to be thrown in the same boat with this guy.

As a Kurt Vonnegut character might assess: they're both "false karasses."

Archived