One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't:

GY

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

would of if i could of.... do i look like i care?

Nope.

It seems I care more about how people will perceive

you than you do.

People will judge you by it whether you care or not.

(Those people who know about spelling and grammar

which would seem to be less & less every day...)

No big deal.

Now I know you don't care I can relax.

Of course, if you did care and didn't now that you

were using the wrong wording....well .....know you know.

Either way, it's exactly the same amount of key presses.;)

• Members

Is VISTA really bloated for audio apps? steer clear and stay with XP?

It's just that VISTA is not ready yet.

It's only just been born and is still wearing nappies (diapers).

When it grows up a little and learns to walk and talk like it's

older brother XP, then we might be able to let it play with

the "real" programs.

• Members

Not if you want to run SONAR, Sound Forge, FL Studio, Acid, Vegas etc etc

but what if you want to run Logic, garageband, soundtrack, final cut pro, motu digital performer...

but i guess on a mac you also don't get to run all that fun anti-virus, anti-malware software and you don't have the joyous time of defraging the hard drive...

the thing is this if you want to play the newest games or high end CAD programs on your computer then you need a windows environment(which you can now get on a mac). For anything else (yes anything) the same, or equivalent (or better) software is available on the mac.

The reason that Mac guys get pissy is because of all of the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) that is spread by people that are completely ignorant of the realities of the computing world.

• Members

but what if you want to run Logic, garageband, soundtrack, final cut pro, motu digital performer...

Sure.

Just so happens I don't want to to run any of those apps.

But I do want to run all those others I mentioned.....

And that ain't gonna happen on a Mac.

For anything else (yes anything) the same, or equivalent (or better) software is available on the mac.

Equivalent?: Maybe....maybe not...it's debatable.

The same?: Absolutely not. Those apps I mentioned don't have Mac versions.

Sure I can run them on a an Intel Mac...but why would I do that

when it costs more and has no obvious advantage?

Better?: Again it's debatable.

The reason that Mac guys get pissy is because of all of the FUD

(fear, uncertainty and doubt) that is spread by people that are completely

ignorant of the realities of the computing world.

Mac guys get "pissy"?

I didn't know that.

What about Mac girls?

They get "pissy" too?;)

• Members

i used to run FCP all the time... loved it. moved to PC and had to learn Premiere, its just as good as FCP for a NLE, and isnt such a hog on resources like OSX/FCP has become. it does the same stuff. and for the price you can get a PC workstation, there is a load of money saved. I use that with After Effects. works great too.

one thing PC users can do that MAC users cant is upgrade their machines, plain and simple. they can overclock their machines to squeeze more juice out of them. they can customize their machines the way they want them to run and not limited by the hardware selection that apple chooses. they can rackmount their computers.... and they can make them far more quiet than MACs.

you want to talk about hardware or software here? cause PC has MAC beat hands down in regards to hardware. hell MAC BECAME a PC when they moved to INTEL!!! i think that shows who had the right idea with hardware.

as for software, i like how XP feels better than OSX. i like the taskbar over the dock [lame attempt at a taskbar]. i like the explorer windows in XP over OSX, files resize properly [and in Vista, especially for video/graphic work KILLS OSX with their "previews", even in folders], i prefer their open/save dialog boxes over OSX. they make more sense. i prefer the tweakability of XP over OSX to make the system right for your needs. i prefer the multitasking in XP over OSX and the ease in which you can use multiple apps at once.

sure i wouldnt mind FCP and DP being ported over to XP [or vista 64bit really]... but both applications have pros and cons i can live with and without. DP does some things far better than Nuendo... FAR better. but Nuendo does really important things like full automation and actually wrote a good driver for control surfaces, something motu hasnt been able to do yet.

you know what is so sad, and you even mention it in posts... is that you can run XP on a MAC but Jobs is such a pantywaste {censored}, he wont allow you to run OSX on a PC built machine, because there goes his hardware cashcow he forces MAC users into. closed systems suck. he is even so greedy that he didnt make the iPods batteries user replaceable! {censored}, on my Canon digital camera, i can even replace the LCD screen [now that i accidentally broke it :(] myself. thats a bit trickier than a {censored}ing battery. Jobs is a douchebag who LUCKILY knew how to market the new walkman over the others who have them out there... saved his company. if it wasnt for that, Gates would have ot keep propping up Apple to avoid monopoly lawsuits, course there always is Linux now [but that isnt real competition]

• Members

the thing you fail to understand is that Apple makes its money from hardware. The only reason that they ever made software is to sell the hardware. Jobs isn't a "pantywaste {censored}" (way to elevate your arguement with name calling) he is a shrewed businessman, he has lead 3 companys that changed the world (Apple, NeXT and Pixar) what have you done?

• Members

who is the shrewd businessman? i believe we know who has 95% of the market... what i have done is irrelevant. then again, apple didnt change the world.... neither did neXT come to think of it [simply bought out by apple, part of your "glorious" OS]. there isnt as much money in computer hardware. its why the company struggled for so long. you even think that apple is tooled to service the other 95%! of the market? their QC would take a nosedive.... because MACs are not infallible... but its a lot nicer knowing if something takes a {censored} in my PC i can have a replacement part quickly and cheaply. i have known people to curse their MACs out of service for a while, if ever fixed.

the INTERNET changed the world. people like bob metcalf enabled that creating TCP/IP and ethernet. the MOUSE changed computing [and the GUI], neither of which Jobs created... alan kay is responsible for those. {censored}, gates aquiring SCP and creating MS-DOS out of it and encouraging IBM "clones" to thrive was huge.

keep drinking the kool-aid. i have both machines sitting here running. i wont even get into the different rewrites apple has forced people into while they try to figure out what they are doing with their machines. adoption of new technology w/o legacy considerations. how many versions of OSX has been released [the early versions simply pitiful and unuseable] that they charged for the upgrade?

but whatever... use what you use. i use both.

• Members

And I don't want to run any of the apps you mentioned, especially vegas! so were even
:)
And just for the record I can run all of the apps you mentioned on my Mac Pro via dual boot.

Fair enough...I know that. It just ain't gonna happen on a Mac for me.

What's so bad about Vegas?

How is this debatable? name one App (not game or CAD) that an equivalent is not available for the mac.

I'll name 2 ... SONAR & FL Studio.... I know you're gonna laugh at that but it's true...

sure those particular apps are not available but in many cases the exact same app is available on both platforms. Adobe creative suite, Avid/digidesigns, Roxio products, Microsoft Office, etc, etc.

True. Can't argue with that....

In my industry (video production) the editing standards are Avid, Final Cut Pro, and to a lesser extent Adobe Premiere. All three are available on Mac only two are available on PC. FCP has completely displaced Avid on professional motion picture projects. So not really a debate. In many cases (this just illustrates one) the best software is available on Mac only, having said that in some instances the best software is only available on the PC side of things... but in a month or so a Mac Port becomes available. I can wait.

There will never be a Mac port of SONAR or FL Studio and,

even though I can hear your laughter from the other side

of the planet, those 2 apps are my preference for

creating music.

Mac girls are hotter?

Now that's debatable.;)

• Members

that they charged for the upgrade?

but whatever... use what you use. i use both.

I also have both windows and mac at my disposal... ya know what i'm not even going to debate this with you, you are the one that has appeared to drink the Microsoft Koolaid.

• Members

fretwizz I'm not laughing... My feeling is that you should use what ever is right for you, that seems to be windows, for me its Macintosh, que sara.

The reason i got into this thread at all is because there are so many people that are lied to by people spreading FUD. People like Alphajerk will rant and riot if someone challenges Microsoft dominance and then accuse any deviation from their preconceived notions a "Kool-Aid drinker".

• Members

I also have both windows and mac at my disposal... ya know what i'm not even going to debate this with you, you are the one that has appeared to drink the Microsoft Koolaid.

not really... i just would rather have control over my hardware than be spoonfed, and then made obsolete by a company. if there was something out there as an OS better than what MS puts out, i would use it as long as it ran all the apps i need it to run. i despise closed systems, why i wont bother with digidesign either.

Archived