OT- How many members of the HCGB are going blind...

JohnnyR

• Members

Damn, I'm 52 and attaining sharp focus on an object less than 2 feet away is torture. Dimestore readers fix the problem but taking them on and off is a PITA throughout the day since my routine is in the woodshop making furniture, boxes, spkr. cabs etc. to feed our store and my audio addiction. Does anyone know how to make my eyes 20 years old again so I don't have to put up with this BS? Yeah I know, shut up, get a cane and a dog..."ba dum bump bump":rolleyes:

I don't need to see to play but making my living with loud dangerous machinery is not only fun but it requires visual acuity to keep from getting hurt and I find as I get older it is getting harder to see accurately without lenses or a lot more light (with more light the focus is not a prob) on the project. So...what do you do?

J.R.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, I'm 52 and attaining sharp focus on an object less than 2 feet away is torture. Dimestore readers fix the problem but taking them on and off is a PITA throughout the day since my routine is in the woodshop making furniture, boxes, spkr. cabs etc. to feed our store and my audio addiction. Does anyone know how to make my eyes 20 years old again so I don't have to put up with this BS? Yeah I know, shut up, get a cane and a dog..."ba dum bump bump":rolleyes:

I don't need to see to play but making my living with loud dangerous machinery is not only fun but it requires visual acuity to keep from getting hurt and I find as I get older it is getting harder to see accurately without lenses or a lot more light (with more light the focus is not a prob) on the project. So...what do you do?

J.R.

I just turned 40 and I just got glasses. I couldn't read the settings on my pedals without bending down...YEah for glasses!

• Members

Dude, if you are 52 and just losing your near vision, consider yourself lucky. Mine started to go when I turned 40, and was pretty lousy by the time I hit 43, especially in low light. Fortunately, it hasn't progressed too rapidly since then. I am 46 now, and I still only need the +1.25 glasses.

I agree with you, though: it's a pain in the rear to constantly have to hunt for the glasses.

• Members

I'm 43 and had exceptionally good vision for most of my life. Unfortunately, like you, my close range vision absolutly went to hell over the last year or so. I've been using cheapo reading glasses that work well, but they are somewhat of a pain in the ass. I can totally relate with your frustration. It sucks getting old...

• Members

49 y/o and the owner of about 17 pairs of +1.50 glasses (a pair for each room in the house, the cars, the office and briefcase, gig bags etc).

Here's the solutions. If you are nearsighted, don't correct your vision- the eyes uncorrected will be blind at things in the distance but should be ok for tiny stuff up close. A doable concept if you don't have a severe vision problem.

The other system is to have one eye lasered for distance accuracy and the other eye lasered for up close vision. Within a short period of retraining your vision you can see everything, by selecting the appropriate eye. But the training period is annoying and you can't reverse the surgery.

I think, but I'm not sure, there is a contact lense system that also uses this method of one for close, one for distance.

Lastly, you can get bifocals, you old fart.

• Members

If you are in your 50's, Scandanavian, blue eyed, small eyes, and farsighted, especially female, heed.

As you grow older, your eyes stay the same size, yet your lens continues to grow, thus, the change from normal vision to farsighted. Unforunately, the lens will get so big that it will lock the iris in place preventing the fluid from leaking out and your eye will blow up like a ballon, acute angle glaucoma. At the same time, you will have severe pain in your abdomen and eye, freaky. This is because the nerve joins with the vagus nerve fro a short stretch. And they have about 3 hours to perform a minor surgery before you have permanemt vision loss. Unfortunately, this is rare so after waiting 6 hours in the ER, they send you down for a CT scan, further wasting time. So if you fit the profile, just keep it in the back of your head that severe eye pain and a retching gut generally don't go together. Just have your wife/husband locked on to at least ask if this is what it could be should you become symptomatic.

This ever increasing lens also explains why those that are nearsighted have "second sight" in later years.

As has been stated, those reading glasses from the 99 cent store, strategically placed throughout the house and car are a God send. They don't accomodate for astigmatism, but make life easy. But you should still see your opthamologist to check your eyes for other abnormalities. Eye Dr.s can look at your eyes and diagnose tons of other lifethreatening illness! If caught in time, they can preserve vision.

• Members

46, and have been thinking about glasses for a couple of years but it's not bad enough to need them. Mostly.

If I'm tired (like when you get up at 4.00am to catch the red eye somewhere) I struggle to read the signs in the airport these days. I have 1 eye short sighted and 1 eye long sighted with mild astigmatism. My left eye (which used to be my main eye) has become seriously short sighted in the last 10 years.

The up side of bad eyes is that you learn to play by ear better. ;)

• Members

51, and my distance vision has improved somewhat while my farsightedness has increased as well. I am surprised no one has mentioned presbyopia, but it has been described a few times. I am thinking of investing in one of those contraptions that holds a magnifying glass for you as you do close work, because I already wear high tech bifocals.

• Members

I am 40, and have worn glasses contacts for nearsightedness since I was in elementary school. I knew that when I got over 40 I might have problems with reading, but it was like a freaking light switch! All of a sudden my reading vision is shot, especially in low light.

I am about to go this weekend and get some reading glasses from the dollar spot at Target. I tried someone else's 1.25 strength and they were perfect.

I have been considering Lasik for a while, but I know it won't help this unless I go monovision (which I think would drive me crazy), so I guess it is reading glasses for me for the rest of my life :(

Archived