all time disco favorites...

boosh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, 'tis true that there were some records that sounded like Disco before there was Disco, officially...

I was thinking of, say:

"Want Ads" by The Honey Cone

"Up The Ladder To The Roof" by The Supremes

"Keep On Truckin'" by Eddie Kendricks

Well, the places we were dancing were called discos and, at that time, we thought of it as disco music. But seriously, around here, it felt like it had died out by '76-'77. When I heard there was a disco movie coming out I just thought, Wow... talk about missing the boat.

Joke was on me.

When all the bland, four on the floor "designed-for-disco" music came out I called it "K-Mart disco" -- because, unlike the dance music I loved, a lot of this seemed designed for the lowest common denominator.

(I also thought punk rock was pretty much dead by '79... and declared it so in a little informal 3-band summit meeting we'd called to discuss the fact there was almost no place left where a punk band could play anymore. No one should hire me as a trend predictor. At least, in the 90s, I finally wasn't surprised by the blossoming of rave/club culture after it seemed to all but burn out in the late 80s. But by then, I was strictly an observer.)

• Members

Nobody said "Stayin' Alive?"

"Whatcha gonna do when she says goodbye", Pablo Cruise

"Couldn't Get It Right", Climax Blues Band

"I Wonder Who", Boz Scaggs

I sing "Couldnt Get It Right"..goes over like gangbusters !! :thu:

Still, I dont call that "Disco"..same way I dont call songs by Pablo Cruise disco. I dont call songs by the band Brick disco either (thats disco-funk - which, as a bass player, I like a lot better and include killer bands like Kleer, some earlier Cameo, some Fatback, and a billion others).....To me, disco is more than just 4 on the floor: its also 16ths on the hi-hat, usually a lot of strings, and octave basslines that go "ooo-nip ooo-nip ooo-nip ooo-nip" :D

• Members

Aren't the terms 'favorite' and 'disco' kind of mutually exclusive? :-)

I used to *HATE* the stuff. I mean, I was a little kid through all of it, but I seriously hated the stuff. When I was in elementary school, I remember sitting on my bike in front of Thrifty's eating their award-winning ice cream with my friends, and watching couples stumbling out of the disco a couple doors down, guys with shirts unbuttoned, gold chains, tight white pants, and women with lots of makeup who couldn't walk in their heels, all coked up, and thinking how stupid they looked and how awful the thudding music wafting from the disco sounded.

And I don't know what happened, but somewhere, maybe about ten years ago or so, I'd hear some here or there, and I started realizing that I was enjoying some of the stuff I used to hate, like the Bee Gees and that kind of thing. I did always think Donna Summer had some cool tunes, but most of that stuff I just hated.

• Members

There are some very good options here!! Thanks so far but keep them coming please.

This is for a Dutch TV personality who lived in one of those BigBrother houses and wants to tour the country with a small set.

Disco classics allways work well for girls like this.

MJ "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (the guy engineered and mixed that is a genius)

Hey I might call that guy and ask for his list of favorite DiscoTracks ;)I think I have his # somewhere.

• Members
That Feel Like Dancing Song...it's by some high pitched voice dude. Can't think of his name right now.

Dude, my image of you is totally blown now!

I'll bet you like "Sad Eyes" and "Stone In Love With You" too!

For some strange reason, I cannot hear those songs without imagining them being sung by sock puppets. It's the weirdest thing!

sock_puppet_theatre.jpg
"You make me feel like dancin....
gonna dance the night away"

Now I'm freaking myself out...:eek:

• Members

There are some very good options here!! Thanks so far but keep them coming please.

If you can find it, "Hot Stuff" by Raydio. Has a wild bassline.

"That's the Way I Like it", by KC, is of course a classic.

"You Should be Dancing", by the Beegees. Probably my favorite if theirs.

"Rock With You", by MJ

"One Nation Under A Groove" and of course "Flashlight", by PFunkadelic

Notice there have been no recommendations for the Village People. There's a good reason for that.

• Members

Dude! I'm a disco junkie! It's all about those serious bass lines and wicked melodies!

And I'm playing that Leo Sayer song right this minute! And those are some great songs you mentioned...I just heard Sad Eyes the other night...we were probably getting the same feed. ;)

I think YMCA was mentioned, though.

I got a playlist in MP that goes like this:

Play That Funky Music

Shining Star

Magic

That's The Way of The World

Rock The Boat

We Are Family

Want My Love (EWF)

Kiss You All Over

Got To Be Real

Feel Like Dancin'

Boogie Oogie Oogie

Baby Come Back

Freak Out

Oh What A Night

Sex Machine

I just noticed post-post that I don't have Love's Theme in there. Wtf?

• Members

Aren't the terms 'favorite' and 'disco' kind of mutually exclusive? :-)

:lol:

reminds me of Woody Allen quote

"What's with all these awards? Best Fascist Dictator: Adolf Hitler."

...but I do like "You Got the Best of My Love" - the Emotions

• Members

Shake Your Booty -KC and the Sunshine Band
Boogie Nights -Heatwave
I FEEL LOVE -Donna Summer
KNOCK ON WOOD -Amii Stewart
GOOD TIMES -Chic
LADIES NIGHT -Kool & The Gang
YOU SHOULD BE DANCING -Bee Gees
Ain't Gonna Bump No More (with No Big Fat Woman) -Joe Tex
Disco Inferno - The Trammps

A good time will be had by all (except KIZZ fans) ;)

• Members

Okay, I found one. This was a favorite of mine when I was about 11 years old but I never knew who did it....until now.

"Do You Wanna Go Party" by K.C. & The Sunshine Band.

A local radio station used to broadcast from a Disco on Saturday nights -on the AM band, by the way-, and I used to listen regularly and imagine how much fun it probably was to be there. First time I ever heard Sugar Hill Gang was on that broadcast. Anyway, they used to play like a 10-min version of this song, and I really enjoyed it. I never would have guessed it was K.C.

Then there were some 70's disco tunes which only seemed to be heard at roller-skating rinks:

This reminds me of a strange experience I had not long ago. My son was invited to a birthday party at a local roller skating rink, my wife and I went along. I haven't been roller skating since..........well, it's been a long time. Anyway, my wife and I were skating around, when suddenly the lights go out and of all things "Brickhouse" comes on. I was transported. For a moment it felt just like the old days. My wife and I were both talking on it. It was funny. Can't do jumps or rubberlegs anymore though.;)

• Members

Funk OTOH, which some people confuse with disco, is fair game.

There was plenty of crossover in the late 70's. The stuff I think of as 'good Disco' is probably more funk, but it's hard to think of a tune like "Le Freak" by Chic and just call it funk.....it's a Disco tune, but it's pretty funky.

Booshe,

Put me down for "Le Freak", and also "I wanna Be Your Lover" by Prince too. You should be getting a decent list together by now.

• Members
Sorry Booshy, I'd love to help you, but "disco favorites" isn't part of my musical vocabulary.
;)

BTW, how have you been doing brother?
:wave:

Me and the family had a rough time but we're getting better,..Thanks

Our life has been a mess and I just discovered this week that a guy who did some work for me,..actually didn't do the work but only collected money for it...Asshole,... so now there are a lot of people waiting for mixes and other audiorelated stuff and the money is gone.

I listened to a lot of the stuff suggested by all these nice folks here and came up with abou 21 songs,...I have to cut that down to 7...

I have a different problem considering hearing also but I'll tell you that in a new thread, maybe you can help me with that.

Booshy ( Nice to be back - I missed you guys!!!)

Archived