all time disco favorites...

boosh

• Members

Funk OTOH, which some people confuse with disco, is fair game. Maybe Brickhouse by the Commodores? How about some EWF - maybe Shining Star or Fantasy?

AbsoFu**ingLutley :thu:

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got the FUNK!

The ONLY good disco IMHO is the Funk crossover stuff!!!

The "pea soup" hi hats, strings, and the straight four on the kick is for the lowest of the birds.

ps - every band seems to think they know how to play Brickhouse - WRONG!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

It's funny how the anti-disco sentiment remains. Less so in Europe. I grew up a white suburban 70's teen rockin' disco hater. But I've since changed my tune on it.

It sounds cosmopolitan to me now. Not sophisticated, but something that wants to be. I like it's slickness and it's kitschiness. Fueled by coke, sex, money, and greed. It's funny in it's baseness.

Maybe it's just me. And there were some great, great players laying down the slick back then too.

• Members

You might consider adding the O'jays "Love Train" to your list. It works as a great dance tune for us (strangely enough it seems to consistently spawn a "conga line" at one joint we play..). The spate of Coors "Silver Bullet" commercials that were out last year revived the tune's familiarity. Ride it while you can.

• Members

I thought this thread was about, literally, our fave disco songs. Which, I agree, is an oxymoron. But anyway, about the only song that came to mind that I actually liked... was this disco?... Irene Cara's Flashdance.

If I never again hear Brickhouse or Shake Your Booty White Boy, it's too soon. Every band here still plays these songs every night. It's sick, I tell ya. It's so bad, I rarely stop to hear a cover band.

• Members

was this disco?... Irene Cara's Flashdance.

Some would say yes, but I'd argue no. To me, disco died in 1979. Once you hit the 80's Electro funk and New Wave take over. Both were danceable, but neither felt like disco to me.

If I never again hear Brickhouse or Shake Your Booty White Boy, it's too soon. Every band here still plays these songs every night. It's sick, I tell ya. It's so bad, I rarely stop to hear a cover band.

True, but both of those are very overplayed.

Archived