Cobert sucks, messed up the Rush performance

curseoftruth

• Members

i personally thought he was because i honestly assume everyone on tv is one because the majority of them are with the exception of some people on fox but people have told me that if you read his book he talks about it

yeah, my wife read his book and swears he is a democrat. She probably wouldn't watch him if he was a republican....It is so hard to tell because he plays a "character" on his show, he can't be that "off" in real life, can he?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, my wife read his book and swears he is a democrat. She probably wouldn't watch him if he was a republican....It is so hard to tell because he plays a "character" on his show, he can't be that "off" in real life, can he?

Ask Bush about that during the Press Correspondents Dinner in 06.

Bush didn't find him funny, either.

In fact, you could see he was mortified.

• Members

colbert is actually a independent/republican and is much more funny and more bearable to me than stewart

No, he's a PARODY of right-wing broadcasters, such as Bill O'Reilly.

And the interruption and cut to commercial is all part of his schtick. He ALWAYS gives his celebrity guests the short shrift, no matter who they are. If you had seen more than one or two episodes of his show, the gag wouldn't have surprised you at all.

From the smile on Geddy's face, it's pretty obvious that the band was in on the joke.

This wasn't a Rush performance, it was Rush participating in an episode of The Colbert Report. I could see why somebody expecting anything more than that might be disappointed, though.

• Members

I've never seen Colbert before, but it was obviously a joke and the Rush guys knew it was coming. And it was at least a little bit funny for anyone that knows Rush's music.

I could see how you'd be upset if you only saw the 10 seconds of footage where he runs on stage and interrupts them.

• Members

Didn't let them play the whole thing and interrupted the song!
:mad:

The interview was fun, they built up the interview and song the whole show and then mess it up. I sat through 20 min of his liberal nonsense for that???

hah it's a comedy show. him coming out was obviously planned

• Members

Honestly, if the band playing was some new age pop-punk good charlotte equivalent I would've found it hilarious. Even in theory it was funny, it just didn't come off as such. I see where the writers were trying to come from, but in my opinion it wasn't very comical.

• Members
Didn't let them play the whole thing and interrupted the song!
:mad:

The interview was fun, they built up the interview and song the whole show and then mess it up. I sat through 20 min of his liberal nonsense for that???

Leave it to a right winger to miss the entire point of the Colbert Report. Rush got incredibly generous air time on a currently hip show for a "vintage" act and you act insulted that Colbert didn't step aside entirely and make it a Rush tribute for 30 minutes. :rolleyes: Anyways, I am sure you already get your daily fill of Rush listening to the other "Rush" every afternoon.

• Members
Did you ever have a song so long that by the end of it you were influenced by yourselves at the beginning of it!
:D

Cheeses, that is SO zen ... almost like the sound of one hand tapping.

Anyway, nice to know that Rush have a senzayuma (well, GLee does judging by some of his interviews), even if some of their fans don't.

• Members

I thought it was the greatest episode of the Colbert Report ever. I started laughing the moment they started play Lime Light, to the very end. I love both Rush and Colbert, and thought the idea the band coming on was the idea anybody has had on TV this whole year.

• Members

It's what Colbert does, he's not Letterman, what did people expect?

Exactly. He does that to everyone. He plays along with them, changes things up. It is a comedy show, not a music show. The whole show is a parody. He is acting as a character. Lighten up everyone. Rush is not my favorite band, but even if I did like them, who cares.

• Members
Leave it to a right winger to miss the entire point of the Colbert Report. Rush got incredibly generous air time on a currently hip show for a "vintage" act and you act insulted that Colbert didn't step aside entirely and make it a Rush tribute for 30 minutes.
:rolleyes:
Anyways, I am sure you already get your daily fill of Rush listening to the other "Rush" every afternoon.

Yep, you nailed it.

• Members

The joke would have been good if Rush was actually playing a long song.

2112 would have fit.

Bingo. No doubt it was supposed to be a joke but it failed horribly, whether the band was in on it or not. The interview was fun and lots of the Rush themes during the first part of the show were great, it was just the performance part that was cheapened. I've watched Cobert enough to know I don't like the show (I've probably seen it 10 or more times, enough to know his act). Not a fan of it but it gets put on if nothing else is on which is common at that time slot. I think the thing to me was they pumped up that fact that is the first US TV appearance in 30 years and it was kind of cheapened. Whatever, I don't really care today. And no I don't listen to Rush everyday. Used to be a fanboy but that was many years ago. I just have a healthy respect for them these days.

The sad thing about Stewart and Cobert -- people consider that news. Same as people considereding Rush Limbaugh or Shawn Hannity news. Its very slanted opinion.

• Members

Bingo. No doubt it was supposed to be a joke but it failed horribly, whether the band was in on it or not. The interview was fun and lots of the Rush themes during the first part of the show were great, it was just the performance part that was cheapened. I've watched Cobert enough to know I don't like the show (I've probably seen it 10 or more times, enough to know his act). Not a fan of it but it gets put on if nothing else is on which is common at that time slot. I think the thing to me was they pumped up that fact that is the first US TV appearance in 30 years and it was kind of cheapened. Whatever, I don't really care today. And no I don't listen to Rush everyday. Used to be a fanboy but that was many years ago. I just have a healthy respect for them these days.

The sad thing about Stewart and Cobert -- people consider that news. Same as people considereding Rush Limbaugh or Shawn Hannity news. Its very slanted opinion.

While the show is comedy and not news, they slam both sides pretty hard. It is just easier with Bush in the whitehouse to slam the right. When Obama is in there he will get slammed too.

Archived