Cobert sucks, messed up the Rush performance

curseoftruth

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was one of my fav episodes. The build-up/pay-off was classic, and I nearly spat my Tectate onto my telivision.

And seriously, the "Inspired by the beginning of your own song," line? Not laughing at that proves that your heart is a dead, cold lump of stone.

• Members
Right on, comrade!

*clenched fist salute*

Actually, having observed the far left close up, I'm not a Communist, either. The only tendency I hate more than the left is the right, and I'm not crazy about the so-called centre, either (it's simply the right with glossy make-up and corporate sponsorship).

CSM, you're in the UK, so I can forgive a bit of ignorance regarding politics in the US. The left in the US IS the communist party, and it is a very small fraction. The right is the Republican party (about 20-30% of the population, but a larger percentage of the electorate due to Republican manipulation of election rules - which are administered by the states and not the Federal government), and the moderates are represented by the Democratic party (represents about 60-70% of the population, about 50% of the electorate - see above).

Anybody who disagrees is a fascist!

:lol:

• Members

Yeah Lifeson's tone was pretty thin on the show. You have to take into account that they were not using all their gear and the tv studio was not set up fto reproduce high quality music.

If you saw Rush on the current tour, Lifeson's tone was incredible.

• Members
CSM, you're in the UK, so I can forgive a bit of ignorance regarding politics in the US. The left in the US IS the communist party, and it is a very small fraction. The right is the Republican party (about 20-30% of the population, but a larger percentage of the electorate due to Republican manipulation of election rules - which are administered by the states and not the Federal government), and the moderates are represented by the Democratic party (represents about 60-70% of the population, about 50% of the electorate - see above).

Anybody who disagrees is a fascist!

Yeah but those "left" folks (like, the actual communist party) is so far left as to be almost a parody. Most people in the US are center right. the republican party is so far right these days that its almost a parody. Think about it, the only people farther right these days are the Nazi party (which believe it or not, exists in the US). But the Republican's control so much mindshare with certain demographics that they actually get them to vote against their own interests. Its really quite amazing.

And to bring it back on subject, that is what Colbert is satirizing. He brings to the table this crazy arrogance, complete faith in things that "feel right" regardless of the facts ("I don't like books... they're all facts and no heart"), and totally irrational fear. Its the magic combo thats been ruling our news media since the mid 90's.

• Members

Yeah Lifeson's tone was pretty thin on the show. You have to take into account that they were not using all their gear and the tv studio was not set up fto reproduce high quality music.

If you saw Rush on the current tour, Lifeson's tone was incredible.

totally. theres no way to push a 100 watt tube amp in a studio like that. It would be painful.

• Members
Obviously planned... not sure what all the whining is about.

Yeagh... at about 1:15 in the video you can tell by Alex Lifesons grin that something was up and he knew it. also bitching about his tone?,,,come on your hearing it through a TV and in a TV studio not using his normal set-up.Maybe they should have went the Ashley Simpson SNL route instead.:rolleyes:

• Members

Judging by the way people described it, i thought he came out and made them stop playing...He just came out and said a few words while they were playing, and they just kept playing...He then had to end the show..What is all the fuss about? They just ran out of time.

• Members

I thought it was a great show I watched it on youtube and it was funny on a number of levels particularly the joke about the long song. For those who are complaining so loudly would you rather have the Cobert report do what every show in the USA has done for the past 30 plus years. :cop:I like the bits at the beginning too.

• Members

im watching it right now, but i dont think we should bitch about colbert, so far he has basically put rush into every topic of discussion he has had so he basically has dedicated this episode to rush.

• Members

I was sort of wondering if the producers thought they had enough time for the tune but were pushing it, because right before they started the producer signaled colbert that they needed to break...seems they should have just gone with the break then and let them play when returning

but yeah the break-in he tried to do came across as way awkward and actually kind of disrespectful whether it was real or intended as a gag

the best question was where he said something like, 'you're known for writing long songs...have you ever written a song that was so long, that by the end of it you were influencing yourselves musically?' or something along those lines

• Members

You guys take this {censored} way too seriously. It's a comedy show. There's probably not a single segment on the show that's long enough for Rush to actually do a complete song. Given that they basically just don't do TV, it's a safe assumption that the only reason they did Colbert is because they like the show and wanted to be part of the fun. Besides, Colbert interups everyone. It's part of the schtick. The only one who gets obvious respect (serious or otherwise) from Colbert is George Bush.

• Members

You guys take this {censored} way too seriously. It's a comedy show. There's probably not a single segment on the show that's long enough for Rush to actually do a complete song. Given that they basically just don't do TV, it's a safe assumption that the only reason they did Colbert is because they like the show and wanted to be part of the fun. Besides, Colbert interups everyone. It's part of the schtick. The only one who gets obvious respect (serious or otherwise) from Colbert is George Bush.

I know. It amazes me that people still don't realize that he's supposed to be a complete moron.

Personally, I don't really care. Its Tom Sawyer, its not like I haven't heard them play that song perfectly a billion times before. But that's just me.

• Members

You majorly mistaken -- I work in advertising and we follow media very closely. Cobert and Stewart are considered credible and trusted sources of news. The wrapper is a comedy show, however the content is viewed by a younger and mainly left leaning audience as credible news. But in defense of that, there are many on the right consider every word Rush Limbaugh says as gospel. Its not everybody, but there are those who do.

I think that Colbert's and Stewart's audience have the intelligence to realize that they're not watching the news. The fact that they're on Comedy Central should be a hint.

IIRC, Stewart has already addressed this point years ago.

• Members

What was that guitar that Alex Lifeson was using? It looked like a Les Paul but it had a tremolo system on it. I know such things exist, but was it an actual LP? I've yet to see a gibson LP standard come stock with one..

• Members

This thread reveals an awful lot about (a) right-wingers, (b) Rush geeks and © the considerable overlap between the two previous categories.

One of the most (only!) likable aspects of the band is that they don't seem to take themselves remotely as seriously as some of you guys take them.

• Members
You guys take this {censored} way too seriously. It's a comedy show...

Reminds me of a radio show that failed here in San Diego. The Phil Hendrie Show.
http://www.philhendrieshow.com/

On the show, people would call the radio host, and he would have conversations with them regarding various issues such as immigration, politics, finance, etc.
Most people didn't realize that Phil played all the characters. :D

[YOUTUBE]bXjKuNUe6cI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
thats awsome. not the exact same but somewhat similar, i really enjoy the walton and johnson radio show

I'll check it out.
I haven't heard Phil's show in years, but it was very funny.
I have to admit that I did not understand what was going on the first time I heard it :o

Archived