How Many Distortions?

scolfax

• Members

I was surprised to discover that I have three OD/Distortion pedals lying around. That's a lot of distortion tones not even counting my dirty amp channels or my POD!

Then it dawned on me, with a single channel amp I can still have light crunch, medium crunch, and heavy distortion at my feet - not even counting chaining them together!

What's the highest number of distortion pedals that you've actively had on your pedal board?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i currently roll like this:

guitar > greer sonic boom (a clean boost, but I counted it here) > Ibanez TS9 > Ibanez TS9DX > Barber Direct Drive > RAT > other pedals > amp

that makes five (with the boost). crazy.

EDIT: and i don't currently post in the fx forum. ;)

• Members

Maxon OD808 for the odd time I want that mid-heavy tubescreamer tone (also boosts my mesa REALLY well), Diamond Fireburst which is a fuzz but has a mid boost switch that turns it into a great distortion.... then finally into my Barber Burn Unit, which is two channels of great sounding gain, very tube like mid-gain tone..... all of which goes into my Mesa that has two gain channels.... :love:

so ultimately I have 7 different options that cover the entire spectrum from light gain to heavy fuzz....

• Members

I have four dirt pedals on my board. One is a dual pedal. And, this is after I got rid if my Tube Screamer.

Analogman Sunface (Fuzz)

Analogman KOT (Dual OD)

Analogman Pro Mod Boss DS1 (Dist)

BK Butler Real Tube (OD/Dist)

how are you liking the KOT and the sunface?

• Members

I have four dirt pedals on my board. One is a dual pedal. And, this is after I got rid if my Tube Screamer.

Analogman Sunface (Fuzz)

Analogman KOT (Dual OD)

Analogman Pro Mod Boss DS1 (Dist)

BK Butler Real Tube (OD/Dist)

nice selection :)

• Members

I was surprised to discover that I have three OD/Distortion pedals lying around. That's a lot of distortion tones not even counting my dirty amp channels or my POD!

Then it dawned on me, with a single channel amp I can still have light crunch, medium crunch, and heavy distortion at my feet - not even counting chaining them together!

What's the highest number of distortion pedals that you've actively had on your pedal board?

Six different ones with my Nomad amp, as many as I have programmed in my Vox AD60s. And then a boost that gets sent to both of them, a boost separately for each of them, and a couple other overdrive pedals. So, quite a few by the time you put different ones together.

• Members

I've got 7 or 8 different ones, but I build em so I don't think I'm certifiable yet.
:thu:

do you have any clips or vids of your pedals through a guitar with humbuckers? i was really diggin' your mans ruin 808 clone, but it's all single coils.

Thanks!

• Members

how are you liking the KOT and the sunface?

The Sunface is great with the right guitar. It seems to be picky about pups. You have to run the Sunface into an overdriven tube amp before it starts to sound good. And, using the volume and tone controls on the guitar is critical to getting a great sound. Bottom line, it took me awhile to get a great sound out of it, but with the right amp and guitar....magic! I only use mine with my Strat and Fralin Vintage Hot pups. My Fralin SP43 pup sounds a bit sterile with the pedal, so I avoid it with the Sunface.

The KOT is a great OD! It's very transparent, and uncompressed (open) sounding. It sounds very close to natural tube amp overdrive. It actually works pretty well into a clean channel, but sounds even better into an overdriven amp. The problem is you either have to pay stupid money on ebay, or wait more than a year on a list to get one.

• Members

The Sunface is great with the right guitar. It seems to be picky about pups. You have to run the Sunface into an overdriven tube amp before it starts to sound good. And, using the volume and tone controls on the guitar is critical to getting a great sound. Bottom line, it took me awhile to get a great sound out of it, but with the right amp and guitar....magic! I only use mine with my Strat and Fralin Vintage Hot pups. Even the Fralin SP43 sounds a bit sterile with the pedal, so I avoid that pup with it.

The KOT is a great OD! It's very transparent, and uncompressed (open) sounding. It sounds very close to natural tube amp overdrive. It actually works pretty well into a clean channel, but sounds even better into an overdriven amp. The problem is you either have to pay stupid money on ebay, or wait more than a year on a list to get one.

thanks, J!

Archived