What's the Best Roasted Vegetable?

Magpel

• Members

I know red pepper is probably the most popular roasted vegetable--so popular, in fact, that it has an identity as a kind of modular flavor: "roasted red pepper humus," for example--but I am inreasingly of the mind that Cauliflower makes the best roasted vegetable.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Take some baby red potatoes, half them, cut up some sweet yellow onion rings and throw in in there, and throw some peeled garlic gloves. Sprinkle with a little salt and a nice bit of fresh pepper and some fresh basil and rosemary, then coat it all nicely with olive oil. Then put them on a baking sheet and bake them for about 50 minutes to an hour.

That's seriously good stuff. And you can throw some roasted peppers in there with them at the end as well. The smell is one of those that brings people in from outside to see what's being cooked. And the potatoes and onions and garlic gets very carmelized and very sweet tasting.

• Members

Garlic, of course. Onions come a close second. (Err.... are either of these 'vegetables'?)

If Geoff can call a mushroom a vegetable, I guess it doesn't matter.
:)

Doh! You beat me to it, Dave! Roasted Garlic is heavenly, though it becomes more a paste than a solid vegetable.

As for whether a mushroom (or anything else in particular, for that matter) is or isn't a vegetable, the common use is anything edible from a plant can be considered a vegetable. Vegetable matter is commonly known in biology, however, as structures that support the life of a plant whereas fruit are the ripened ovaries of a plant. Nuts, drupes and legumes are all fruits and vegetables.

Oddly enough, the tomato was given vegetable status officially by the Supreme Court of the U.S. for the purposes of tariffs! It is, of course, a fruit as it is the ripened ovary of the plant. ;)

The one thing I've learned about classification of living things is there is no standard even in science, where kingdoms we grew up learning as animal and vegetable now are represented in several schemes as up to 6 kingdoms and some classification systems put certain microscopic organisms in conflicting classifications.

Aye, caramba! Let's just eat! :eek::freak:

• Members

17 responses? There hasn't been this kind of enthusiasm for a thread I've started since I asked what vacuum I should get.

Well, you're taking on a very important topic: vegetables. It's not like you're talking about some stupid-ass recorder or plug-in or saxophone. That only leads to arguments and one-uppery and espousing of ignorance.

But vegetables can be EATEN, man. Try and eat a '59 Sunburst Les Paul. You know what happens? First, you get lip splinters, and second, they put you in the looney bin. No one was ever committed for eating a carrot.

With their mouth, anyway.

I really am going to have to pick up some radishes. I never do, and then I go somewhere and eat them and I remember that I really like them. And then I go to the grocery store and proceed to not buy them.

Archived