Bigsby owners Pros-Cons?

Seeds

• Members

I have some credit at my local dealer and I am testing out a used Hamer Newport Korina with a Bigsby. I have had a lot of guitars but somehow never ended up with one with a Bigsby. The guitar sounds great with the Phat Cat pickups and the twang it gets from the spring etc.. but I rarely if ever use a trem.I've been playing it a lot the last few Days and thought even if I keep the guitar the arm may end up coming off anyways.I realize some might say that if you don't use the trem then why keep the guitar but it sounds killer as is and is a real stunner to look at

What are the advantages or disadvantages as you see them on a gutar with this system.

This is not the guitar I have but is the same model.

NEWKVKC_sm.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

bigsby is my favorite trem. they won't go out of tune easily, especially with a roller bridge. i am not a big trem player, but there's something about the warble and shimmer that a bigsby trem adds that is totally infectuous.

I agree. This guitar sounds so nice and different, in a good way, than all my other guitars. It is kind of fun to wiggle a warble out of it every now and then.:lol:

• Members

I've got a bigsby, and I've also had strat-trems, a jaguar trem, and a floyd rose. The bigsby holds it tune way better than any of them (save the floyd rose, but I hated that thing and will never have another). It's not going to knock your guitar out of tune any worse than anything else, as has been stated, and in my experience it'll keep the tune better than some trems. I love it, and in my opinion they look cool as hell even if you're not using it.

• Members

I have 2 Bigsbys, though both are recent additions. If you don't use, just move the arm outta the way and the guitar looks cooler, but with no tuning concerns.

If used and setup properly there shouldn't be tuning concerns anyhow, though. If you run into problems and have a regular bridge, consider a roller bridge. I seem to have less propensity for tuning problems on the guitar I have that has a roller bridge.

• Members

To add to Crappymonkey's reply:

Pros: Looks cool, good vibratto, stable tuning.

Cons: No crazy whammy actions allowed, pain in the ass to change strings.

How is it hard to change strings? Put a little bend in the string near the ball before you start and it will stay in place as you string it up. Easy as pie :thu:

• Members

I have some credit at my local dealer and I am testing out a used Hamer Newport Korina with a Bigsby. I have had a lot of guitars but somehow never ended up with one with a Bigsby. The guitar sounds great with the Phat Cat pickups and the twang it gets from the spring etc.. but I rarely if ever use a trem.I've been playing it a lot the last few Days and thought even if I keep the guitar the arm may end up coming off anyways.I realize some might say that if you don't use the trem then why keep the guitar but it sounds killer as is and is a real stunner to look at

What are the advantages or disadvantages as you see them on a gutar with this system.

This is not the guitar I have but is the same model.

NEWKVKC_sm.jpg

They are great, but if you don't use them, it's better without. I can't live without it. :-)

• Members

I really can't see why it would be a pain in the ass to string.

I have an old ES345 with a Bigsby. The string has to go around the string post roller, under a tension roller, over the bridge, over the nut, and then around the string post (while under tension, to get a clean wrap). You almost need three hands.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. These are the things I am looking to find out. I was playing it for a few nore hours last night and really do like it and leaning towards keeping it. I have had many Strats too and seldom if ever used the trem or had any real issues with the trems.I can see why some guys would think it's a hassle to change strings and to be honest thats one of the things I wondered about but it looks like with a little extra time it can be done even by me.

• Members

Keep the nut/string tree saddles greased, and like jtr654 said, use lightly. Cons don't outweigh the pros when well setup.

The more the better in our house...

Teletwins.jpg

Very cool. I figured as much about the lubrication as I found a package of Nut Sause in the case.:D

• Members

An easy solution to make stringing easier, fold up a piece of paper and push it under the bar to hold the string on the post. Works like a charm.

You can also use one of those 'pink pal' erasers, or a wedge makeup sponge from your wife/girlfriend (or your own, if you're into hair metal).

I find the ones with the tension bar a pain in the butt, and you kind of need some sort of wedge to string one. Pre-bending the string makes it a lot easier. So does using locking tuners. My 6120 (without the tension bar) has locking tuners, and I can stick the string on, hold it taught with my right forearm, and thread the string through the tuner faster than I can change strings on any guitar with 'normal' bridge and tuners, except maybe a fender with slothead klusons.

• Members

Bigsby if used will knock your guitar out of tune. They were made for very light used.

A company doesn't stay in business for 50+ years by selling something that doesn't work correctly. Bigsby tailpieces don't have tuning problems. Improperly cut nuts and improperly wrapped strings have tuning problems.

Bigsbys are great for adding a little shimmer to your sound. As long as you don't dive-bomb your tremolos, you'll love it!:thu:

Archived