The one that got away...

It might be a mic, or a guitar, or a keyboard - whatever... what's the one piece of musical equipment that you either once owned and lost (due to selling it, theft, accident or whatever) or that you had a chance to get and passed on, and that you now regret the most?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It might be a mic, or a guitar, or a keyboard - whatever... what's the one piece of musical equipment that you either once owned and lost (due to selling it, theft, accident or whatever) or that you had a chance to get and passed on, and that you now regret the most?

I had a Hitachi separates based bi-amped hi-fi that I bought in the mid 70's. Around the turn of the century, the woofer amp lost a channel and, instead of bothering to fix it, I just tossed it in the trash. I should have paid to get it fixed. I blew it.

• Members

Umm, a whole freakin pedalboard. It was my secondary pedalboard at the time, which I was using in the effects loop of the EHX Superego on my large board. There were some crappy EQs and compressor, but there was also the valuable Micro POG, original 18v Cool Cat Chorus, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal.

And the most important thing on that board, the one that really got away, was the now-discontinued 4ms Phaseur Fleur vibrato/phaser. I ordered mine as a kit with extra gizmos (including TWO LFOs). I built it with my dad.

I'm pretty sure I posted about it here a hundred times when it was lost. We were moving from one rehearsal space to another, and it was either nabbed by some other band while it was in the hall OR i failed to put it in the car with all our other gear, in which case it would probably be sitting compacted in a landfill right now.

• Members

In 1978, I bought a used ES335 for $350. Didn't know the year, because back then such guitars weren't vintage, they were just used...but it was about 10 years old (it had a trapeze tailpiece, so that would have been about right).

In 1980, I moved to Denver, started college, and stopped playing. I called my friend in the old hometown, who lusted after it, and sold it to him for $450.

I thought I made a pretty good deal; $100 profit.

Now I wish I hadn't

I had a 78 Antigua telecaster. Sold it in 95 or so' date=' and got close enough to market price that I was happy with the deal. But I've gotten more into telecasters since then, and I'll never be able to afford that one again.[/quote']

I remember when those first came out. I never saw the appeal in Antigua, and I can't believe the prices they fetch on the used market today.

Maybe Fender will reissue a Tele like your old one someday.

FWIW, I have had a couple of incredibly good Telecasters that "got away" - but I'm finally once again really, really happy with the one I currently have.

• Members

Also, when I was 14 or something, I was selling a Boss multieffects unit through classifieds. I had a Roland expression pedal for it I planned to keep. (It was $65 at the time; they cost more now.) I never mentioned the expression pedal in the ad. But when a dude came to buy it, he talked down my price a little AND convinced me throw in the exp pedal for free. I was so desperate for cash to buy the next step up. In retrospect, that dude took advantage of me. I’ve purchased multiple expression pedals since.

• Members

I remember when those first came out. I never saw the appeal in Antigua, and I can't believe the prices they fetch on the used market today.

Maybe Fender will reissue a Tele like your old one someday.

FWIW, I have had a couple of incredibly good Telecasters that "got away" - but I'm finally once again really, really happy with the one I currently have.

It was 'so ugly it's cool', to me. Fender did reissue the antigua as a MIJ offering for a year or two in the early 2000s, but the finish was much more 'green'. Didn't work for me.

And like you, I have a couple really great teles.

Umm, a whole freakin pedalboard. It was my secondary pedalboard at the time, which I was using in the effects loop of the EHX Superego on my large board. There were some crappy EQs and compressor, but there was also the valuable Micro POG and Boss CE-2.

And the most important thing on that board, the one that really got away, was the now-discontinued 4ms Phaseur Fleur vibrato/phaser. I ordered mine as a kit with extra gizmos (including TWO LFOs). I built it with my dad.

I'm pretty sure I posted about it here a hundred times when it was lost. We were moving from one rehearsal space to another, and it was either nabbed by some other band while it was in the hall OR i failed to put it in the car with all our other gear, in which case it would probably be sitting compacted in a landfill right now.

I had a custom-built aluminum board with mostly EHX (DMM, Small Stone, Dr. Q, etc.) and Boss stuff (SG-1, CE-2, SD-1) mounted on it in the early 80s that someone stole. I was really ticked off at the time. Now I have multiple boards, and they're generally better than what I had then (although some of those old pedals are worth a few bucks these days...), so I'm less ticked off about it than I used to be and I hope that at least someone, somewhere is still enjoying my old board... just as long as it's not the ratbastid who stole it. :mad2::lol:

Fireglo Ric 4003. Sold it to buy a Gibson RB3 Mastertone banjo. Dumb.

Was it an unusual Ric 4003? Most of the ones I've played have been really consistent... and a Gibson Mastertone banjo is about as good as banjos get...

I should insert a banjo joke here, but I'm really trying hard not to... :lol:

Roland SH-101. Had to sell it when I got laid-off. I miss it every day' date=' :([/quote']

I never had one of those, but I had a buddy who did - they're fun little monosynths for sure!

Have you seen the Behringer clone?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tMS-101-BU_P0DNH_Top-e14231ee8384ec542a3a211080503ea0.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t190.0 KB ID:\t32511311","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511311","data-size":"full","title":"MS-101-BU_P0DNH_Top-e14231ee8384ec542a3a211080503ea0.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

They go for about $325...

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMS1...SABEgLNKfD_BwE

Supposedly they're working on a similarly priced clone of the old Sequential Pro One in a keyboardless module format. The Pro One was my first synth and one I still kick myself for selling. I'm definitely going to try to scratch that itch when they finally release the Behringer module...

• Members

Was it an unusual Ric 4003? Most of the ones I've played have been really consistent... and a Gibson Mastertone banjo is about as good as banjos get...

I should insert a banjo joke here, but I'm really trying hard not to... :lol:

It was a standard 90s era 4003. Loved everything about that bass. But I had no bass gig at the time and the Mastertone was calling me. I‘ve had this bad habit for trading away good basses when not gigging with them because of GAS for one thing or another. It’s a really nice 2004 Greg Rich era RB3 Standard. But I’ve never gotten a gig on banjo, lol.

I really miss that Ric. Someday I hope to replace it, the blue color ones give me tingles.

• Members
Fireglo Ric 4003. Sold it to buy a Gibson RB3 Mastertone banjo. Dumb.

I made the mistake of leaving my banjo in the back of my car while I went grocery shopping one day.

When I came back out, my rear window was smashed and there were 2 banjos in my car.

• Members

I had a custom-built aluminum board with mostly EHX (DMM, Small Stone, Dr. Q, etc.) and Boss stuff (SG-1, CE-2, SD-1) mounted on it in the early 80s that someone stole. I was really ticked off at the time. Now I have multiple boards, and they're generally better than what I had then (although some of those old pedals are worth a few bucks these days...), so I'm less ticked off about it than I used to be and I hope that at least someone, somewhere is still enjoying my old board... just as long as it's not the ratbastid who stole it. :mad2::lol:

Yeah. I did get a really cool vibe pedal that’s much much less noisy than the old homemade one. It’s mainly the sentimental value I had in it.

• Members

Well, I'm a telecaster guy now but in the past a couple got away for me and they were both Les Pauls. Back in my playing days I had a cherry burst Les Paul standard with Seymour Duncan pus and itjust sounded fantastic and played nicely. I traded it and some $$$ for my thinline tele. The other was a nice goldtop that my wife's sister's boyfriend was selling for $800 which was mint. I passed on it and my bandmate bought it instead. He traded it to his brother for a '68 Stratocaster. My wife reminds me every once in a while about that goldtop I should've bought. It's the only guitar she has ever shown interest in. :)

Archived