The one that got away...

• Members
It might be a mic, or a guitar, or a keyboard - whatever... what's the one piece of musical equipment that you either once owned and lost (due to selling it, theft, accident or whatever) or that you had a chance to get and passed on, and that you now regret the most?

Roland RS-9 synth. Always loved it. Moved away. Missed it 10 years.

I found one for $429 this year & jumped. It’s just like I remember.

88 keys, 23 lbs, a nice arpeggiator and knobs. Perfect for me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, that was 73 when the CR250 Elsinore hit the shores. 74 was when the 125's came out and I moved up from my XR75 to one. This is a shot from 1974 at the NMA International at Rio Bravo in Houston. Heavily modified at this point. I am center #453. I wish I still had that bike![ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScan_Pic0061.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t209.6 KB ID:\t32511768","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511768","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

My friend had a 125 like that. We shared bikes at a motocross race once. Over one of the jumps the exhaust fell off so I quit. To tell the truth, I liked riding the 125 better.

Someone here had a Maico 490 or something. The Beast.

It is pretty normal Phil it is called growing old, check this article out.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...ne-age-fd.html

Im well aware of hearing decline as we age... it is your use of “50Hz” that I was taking issue with. First off, most hearing loss occurs in the high frequency range not the low frequency range, so if you are suggesting your hearing is now significantly worse than when you were young at 50Hz, that would be... unusual. Second, if you start losing in the highs, you’re not likely to lose only 50Hz from your youthful hearing range... IOW, your hearing range didn’t drop from 20kHz to 19,950Hz... depending on your age, it might tap out at 12kHz, or 14kHz or whatever...

• Members

never sold anything. but my beloved '97 CIJ '68 reissue strat with natural finish, which i got around 2001, got stolen.

got a MIA american standard strat instead. i never was happy with the MIA and did some ebay surfing over time and one day the exact same model as my CIJ showed up, it was the same model, not my guitar, and i jumped on it and bought it again. once i held it in my hands it felt like home and i new exactly what i was missing in the MIA

the parts of the MIA are now on a warmoth body and neck, still have the body lying around, gave the neck to a friend

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

For me it was a Gibson LP Custom "Black Beauty" I bought from a guy for $200. It was a real nice guitar but in all honesty I only think of it because of the value it would have now. I already had my '76 "Gold Top" at the time but I didn't have a good amp so another friend convinced me to trade it to him for a '78 Twin Reverb. It was the early 80's, we were younger and didn't give much thought to "vintage". We were looser with wheelin' and dealin'.

I sold that amp last year to a young guy who was just thrilled to get it. Me, I don't have much use for huge tube boat anchors anymore.

A few years ago I toyed with the idea of trading my '59 LP Jr for a fancy new PRS but quickly came to my senses.

• Members

I definitely have some ones that got away.

In chronological order:

A Silvertone/Danelectro bass. I didn't even make an effort to find out it's age. Bought it for $50 used in 1967 because I wanted to play bass. learned how to on it...To a degree anyway.The slim neck was perfect for my hands. Single lipstick pup. Bought a Apollo Hofner copy, (Cause that's what Paul played), and sold the Silvertone for $50.

A 1965 Fender Musicmaster. Traded a Honda Sport 50 for it. It was a good guitar! Sold it a year later.

A 1975 Gibson Black Beauty Les Paul Custom. Nickel hardware. As far as Norlin Gibbys go, it was a good one. Owned that guitar 35 years. Wife got sick, needed money to keep up with the bills...Miss the hell out of it...But would miss the wife more..

that's it as far as gear though....I've sold a lot....But those three are the only ones I lose sleep about.

Archived