The one that got away...

• Members

There's a dude in Fla who makes absolutely PERFECT Tweed Tremolux clones. For about $1200. Here's my friend and guitarist Shea McCoy (Telephant on HCAF) rocking the **** out of his clone a couple of years ago:

[video=youtube;2VSOVf9EZ7I]

Thanks, Red. I will definitely check this out!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My old Lab Series L5 2 x 12 combo. That was a great amp and went a lot of places with me. Sold it for my first Marshall half-stack. Ended up hating that Marshall.

I had an L5 for a while - probably the best sounding solid state amp I’ve ever owned.

What I really regret is selling my 87' CR250R. Should of kept it...but know who has it and can ride it still. Best noise maker I ever had. Two Strokes are musical instruments too.

I have mainly owned thumpers... I do (or did) a lot of rough terrain / mountain riding so I couldn’t open it up and stay on the pipe all day. I had a bud with a CR250. Those were nice bikes!

• Members

I wish I still owned the small box 50w Marshall

I traded for a 59 strat !! )

even more I wish I still owned the 66 Vibrolux Reverb

I traded for a 60 tweed Bassman !! )

I did what I had to do !! )

C'est la vie !! )

:idk:

• Members

I commented earlier on some of my first instruments, all of which managed to somehow get away. Other instruments I have formerly had the pleasure of owning but no longer have include a '63 Gibson ES-335 (cherry finish), a '64 ES-335 sunburst, a '64 Strat, a '66 Tele, and a '66 Fender Jazz Bass. These sweet instruments all managed to escape my orbit simply due to "horse trading" with others, although not always a trade up for me as things ultimately worked out.

At least none of these were lost to theft, thankfully. Nevertheless, I would love to still have all of them today!

• Members
Won it from a Jim Beam sweepstakes. I had number 008 of 10. ERV of $10k for which I received a 1099-Misc. Had to sell to avoid taxes. :cry:

zckgjia1c8vh3qgnmwaw.jpg

$10K worth of ugly, IMO. How do you sell it to avoid all taxes? Even if sold for a loss it's still 'found money'. I'm likely missing something.

The one that got away...

Mine is a bit different. I missed a '73 335 so bad that I found another one, made sure the pots were original and played on (the one in my pic). Instruments are just as easily re-bought as they were sold or traded, but for me, the thing that got away somehow is the treble end of my ears. Somewhere in the last ten years I noticed that crispness in vocals and cymbals etc...it isn't gone but I would say the upper 50hz or so got away from me.

If you’re hearing less crispness in vocals, then you probably lost more than “50Hz.” I’d recommend you get your hearing checked by a doctor or audiologist.

• Members

Okay, I'll play. I don't regret selling any music gear. But I do regret selling a 1972 BMW R100RS motorcycle. It was a rare configuration and I sold it for less than it was worth because I myself got a good deal on it - and I was selling it to a real gear head who loved it. Problem is, he converted it to some Mad Max sidecar bull**************** thing. When he sent me photos I about threw up. 15 years later I still want to tell him he's an idiot. He lives in Chico. If you see him tell him he screwed up history.

There was an old SG I sold. I wish I still had that one. Probably pre-1970.

All this stuff is replacable IMO. Good people aren't though.

I can't believe you got a 1099 for some damned guitar. Geez. Winning sucks, I guess.

• Members
My old Lab Series L5 2 x 12 combo. That was a great amp and went a lot of places with me. Sold it for my first Marshall half-stack. Ended up hating that Marshall. What I really regret is selling my 87' CR250R. Should of kept it...but know who has it and can ride it still. Best noise maker I ever had. Two Strokes are musical instruments too.
I once had an older CR250R, at least I think that's what it was designated. They also called it the Elsinore, Elsinore 250. Like below.

hondacr250elsi.jpg

• Members

Back in those days (early 70s) my friends and I would peel the Made In Japan stickers off our copies.

Now I seek out Japanese guitars - it's one of those "if I knew then what I know now" situations.

Yes. I have a Japanese-built Westone (Pantera?) from the early 80s that I bought new, sold, then bought back a year later. Through-neck, HSH pickups, pull-pots to select about any configuration, and plays incredibly smoothly. I did a LOT of performing and recording with that guitar over the years, and it's going out with me tonight to a club gig. It's the one that almost got away.

When I bought it, it was a hideous metal-flake blue burst - it looked exactly like this:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32511624}[/ATTACH]

Now, it is a hideous yellow-green neon finish that was really trendy in the late 80s. C'est la vie.

• Members
The one that got away...

Mine is a bit different. I missed a '73 335 so bad that I found another one, made sure the pots were original and played on (the one in my pic). Instruments are just as easily re-bought as they were sold or traded, but for me, the thing that got away somehow is the treble end of my ears. Somewhere in the last ten years I noticed that crispness in vocals and cymbals etc...it isn't gone but I would say the upper 50hz or so got away from me.

I hear you (for now).

For years telephone technology kept getting better. When fibre optic cable was introduced the fidelity over long distance was outstanding.

Now, after many years of playing through Twin Reverbs, I'm losing the ability to discern consonants at the beginning of words. Unfortunately modern cellphone technology delivers low res mp3 fidelity - which I compare to the old cassette tapes after we rescued the tape from being jammed in the player and wound it back into the cassette - makes it very difficult for me to understand phone conversations.

Now is the time in my life when I need that pristine sound of a fibre optic landline.

• Members

Yes. I have a Japanese-built Westone (Pantera?) from the early 80s that I bought new, sold, then bought back a year later. Through-neck, HSH pickups, pull-pots to select about any configuration, and plays incredibly smoothly. I did a LOT of performing and recording with that guitar over the years, and it's going out with me tonight to a club gig. It's the one that almost got away.

When I bought it, it was a hideous metal-flake blue burst - it looked exactly like this:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\telectra-westone-electric-guitar-1_2432016231347735565.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t61.1 KB ID:\t32511624","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511624","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Now, it is a hideous yellow-green neon finish that was really trendy in the late 80s. C'est la vie.

A friend of mine showed up at my house in the late '70s with one of these...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t5bab4faf753977c2965af317b9e6a92b.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t156.5 KB ID:\t32511632","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511632","data-size":"full","title":"5bab4faf753977c2965af317b9e6a92b.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

That's when I realized the outstanding quality of Japanese guitars. I came to the conclusion that guitar manufacturers were only building them as good as they had to.

Since Jimi first played in London, CBS/Fender could hardly build Stratocasters fast enough to keep up with the demand. Les Pauls had become popular again so they were an easy sell.

"Made In Japan" used to mean cheap, lesser quality stuff so the Japanese builders had to produce a quality product to be taken seriously.

When FujiGen started building guitars for Fender I sold my American Stratocaster and bought one of the first JV Squier Series models which I still have today. For several years I played that strat and and an Ibanez 335 style guitar that was probably built by FujiGen too. I worked in a music store in the early '80s and we sold Tokai guitars that were fantastic strats, teles and Les Pauls.

• Members

If you’re hearing less crispness in vocals, then you probably lost more than “50Hz.” I’d recommend you get your hearing checked by a doctor or audiologist.

I had my hearing a few years ago and the result was "a classic case of noise induced hearing loss" which is a dip in the curve at 4kHz. The audiologist explained that, as the curve lowered with natural aging, the 4kHz will dip below the threshold of hearing before the rest does.

When I'm mixing or mastering I have to be careful I don't bring the hi-hat up too much so I always get another set of younger ears to check my work.

• Members
I once had an older CR250R, at least I think that's what it was designated. They also called it the Elsinore, Elsinore 250. Like below.

hondacr250elsi.jpg

I had a 125 Elisnore when I was around 13. It was used and abused, still had the racing numbers on it, #11 but I had a BLAST with that thing. It was kinda too big for me at the time, but I remember you had to keep the RPMs WAY up on those or they would just bog out. Pretty much all or nothing. I got hurt pretty bad once:lol:.

• Moderators

A friend of mine showed up at my house in the late '70s with one of these...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t5bab4faf753977c2965af317b9e6a92b.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t156.5 KB ID:\t32511632","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511632","data-size":"full","title":"5bab4faf753977c2965af317b9e6a92b.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

My neck hurts just looking at this thing.

• Members

My neck hurts just looking at this thing.

In that case, don't look. Just go play some more piano. :)

But seriously, it's a really nice guitar - I used it for a few weeks while my guitar was in the shop and wanted to buy it. It wasn't for sale at the time but he did eventually sell it to someone else.

• Members

Nothing comes to mind. I cycled through a lot of acoustic (and a few electric) guitars and all were steps carefully taken. I never was a techy (still no cell phone) so none of that stuff caught my attention. Where making music is concerned I'm not a FOMO-stricken participant.

• Members

I keep everything..I have stacks of VHS tapes of almost every performance of my old band(s). Some even at OZZFEST! I`m sentimental, I don`t just sell valuable things, I hoard them. I`m stocking up on vintage tubes still, they keep getting more expensive and rare..and a LOT of the ones you do get are noisy. I have 1 seller, always quiet tubes and I`m at the mercy of what he can get. NEW TUBES SUCK. I put an old GE 5 star 12AY7 vs a new JJ12AX7 in the phase inverter of my amp and unplugged my pedal board from it. It made that much of a difference.Straight in sounds awesome now.

• Members

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/motocrossactionmag.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/12\/hondacr250elsi.jpg"}[/img2]

Yep, that was 73 when the CR250 Elsinore hit the shores. 74 was when the 125's came out and I moved up from my XR75 to one. This is a shot from 1974 at the NMA International at Rio Bravo in Houston. Heavily modified at this point. I am center #453. I wish I still had that bike![ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScan_Pic0061.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t209.6 KB ID:\t32511768","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32511768","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Archived