What's up with this top/bridge?

DeepEnd

• Members

The guitar in the pic is listed on the local (St. Louis) CraigsList and I'm a bit weirded out by the two marks next to the bridge. I can't recall ever seeing anything like them before and they don't look good to me. I can't think of a legit repair that would leave damage like that. Any ideas? [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31950428[/ATTACH]

• Members

Since the guitar already has a built-in pickup that seems unlikely but I'll go for almost anything at this point. There also appears to be damage to the top around the dark patches (they almost look like holes) but maybe I'm imagining it?

• Members

The ad says ''Has a chip and couple of small scratches on face.'' I'm guessing that's describing the damage next to the bridge. I guess something like a hex pickup is possible but don't those normally just install in place of the stock saddle like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31950620[/ATTACH]

• Members

i`d say it was probably a pickup of some kind they`ve had there ,i have a midi pickup which is secured with screws either side or sticky tape but mine is mounted on an old electric with the screws,if your not too worried about a couple of holes in the guitar you`d use the screws .those marks do seem quite big though

• Members
What are the pearl dots at the ends of the saddle hiding? Bolts? Funny place for them. About the same spacing as your black marks.....

The guitar in question is a Takamine A/E and the pearl dots are normal. Here's a pic of a similar guitar:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31950909[/ATTACH]

In any event, the guitar is no longer for sale but thanks for your input. A family at church lost just about everything in a house fire. The dad is a music teacher and fellow guitarist, and I wanted to replace his guitar because I know what making music means to me. Thus, the CraigsList browsing. At this point I'm still looking.

• Members

Actually, I've seen this before. Mainly on very cheap guitars the bridge is bolted right through the bridge and the block underneath it. If you could look underneath the top which you can't obviously, I suspect that is what you'd find. a friend of mine had a First Act guitar and the bridge was the same way. Even though this is Takamine, they also make some very inexpensive guitars that might be done like this or they can be bolting a pickup underneath the bridge for some weird reason.

• Members
Actually' date=' I've seen this before. Mainly on very cheap guitars the bridge is bolted right through the bridge and the block underneath it. If you could look underneath the top which you can't obviously, I suspect that is what you'd find. a friend of mine had a First Act guitar and the bridge was the same way. Even though this is Takamine, they also make some very inexpensive guitars that might be done like this or they can be bolting a pickup underneath the bridge for some weird reason.[/quote']

The Takamine in the last pic is a guitar that sells for $1700, not ''very inexpensive'' in my book but YMMV. Yes, I also suspect the dots are hiding bolts. It appears that's how they build at least some of their guitars. Again, the issue--or at least my issue--was with the black dots next to the bridge, which still haven't been explained. I don't care about normal stuff, I'm more concerned with oddities I can't understand. Anyway, again, the guitar is no longer for sale so it's moot. Thanks again, everyone.

• Members

The Takamine in the last pic is a guitar that sells for $1700, not ''very inexpensive'' in my book but YMMV. Yes, I also suspect the dots are hiding bolts. It appears that's how they build at least some of their guitars. Again, the issue--or at least my issue--was with the black dots next to the bridge, which still haven't been explained. I don't care about normal stuff, I'm more concerned with oddities I can't understand. Anyway, again, the guitar is no longer for sale so it's moot. Thanks again, everyone.

That's a lot of $$$ for a Takamine guitar, imho. I know that Takamine has some guitars in the 2, 3, 4 thousand dollar range too. :eek2:

I'm a Martin and Gibson guy when it comes to more expensive acoustics.

I'l have a pick up system installed after the purchase too. I don't want any holes in the side of my guitar, even though my bar slinging Martin has a Fishman blender system in it. Convenient, but that's all.

• Members

After some continued research, the plugged holes are for Takamines propietary pickup that bolts directly under the bridge and follows the angle of the saddle slot for better sound pickup. It is called the Palathetic Pickup

Archived