TOMMY EMMANUEL Guitar Camp USA

valentsgrif

• Members

Not me, though I'd love to. I hear they're expensive and book quickly though.

Personally, I'd probably nod off halfway through a lecture. I hate formal lectures - no matter how dynamic the presenter's personality. I imagine that the informal stuff would be fun though.

• Members

I've considered going to the Kaufman Kamp a couple of times.

Steve Kilby teaches a week long flatpicking course at the John C Campbell Folk School every year. I went a few years back. It was a bit pricey, but it was fun. Gotta love that Folk School.

I still can't play. Not his fault. My playing sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello - first time post on this forum.

I attended the T.E. Guitar Camp in Cambria CA last month. Very fun and social event.

The lessons/lectures were very informal with lots of Q&A discussions. The instructors were all great folks and very experienced musicians.

Tommy Emmanuel is an absolute hoot to be around ... not to mention that you get to witness many hours of his talent and genius "up close and personal" throughout the duration of the camp.

• Members

When I saw Tommy E. at BB King's in NYC summer of 2014 after he actually gave a mini lesson in the middle of his show. He finished playing a tricky little tune and then asked the audience, "would you like to see how I didi that?" Then proceeded to show us some licks. Earlier he had asked how many guitar players were there. By the show of raised hands well over 90% of us were pickers.

I have been working on his version of Amazing Grace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
If I went it would be pearls before swine. Have to bring own sleeping bag? Roast marshmallows?

Same. I like playing acoustic guitar but, listening...? Once upon a time many years ago, maybe. TE drives me up a wall, anyway.

I attempted roasting marshmallows t'other day. Brought back memories of sticky, gooey fingers and foul tasting charred puffed-up sugar sponges. Some things never change. My kid looked at me and, being the logical one in the family, asked why we did that as kids. The word fun just didn't have any chance of contextual use whatsoever so I made up a story about a fictional fairy whose weakness was the smell of roasted marshmallows wafting through the forest, and she'd grant a wish to anyone who charmed her with it. His response was, of course, that he was not aware that the process of jet-puffing was discovered until much later. Foiled again.

Archived