loss in output in guitar

mbengs1

• Members

Something happened to my guitar. I was using it and while changing pedals on my pedalboard it just changed. It had not been used for about 4 months when it was at the luthier. It was at the luthier just to fix the output jack. I used it for about a month and this happened. It's the' guitar that i play most. it's an ibanez rg320dxqm. It's my favorite since it has dimarzio steve's special and paf joe and they sound amazing.

• Members

Do you have no output or less output? Have you checked the volume control to make sure you didn't turn it down accidentally? I'd also look at the pedals. Have you tried plugging the guitar directly into the amp? Whatever you replaced on the pedal board may be set for less gain than whatever it replaced. Have you done any troubleshooting of your own at all?

• Members

I don't know why I am bothering but.....

1) Open up the cavity and see if the lugs/solder points of the pot are touching the sides of the cavity. Ibanez uses a shielding paint, and it's grounded. If the pot was lose, it may have moved the contacts of the lugs and grounded it out.

2) Pull the screws on the output jack, and see if the ground and hot wires are touching. If the jack was lose, the wires may have twisted when you pulled it out.

3) What Deep said.

Wait, it was at the "luthier's" for 4 MONTHS for the output jack????? If you still use this "luthier" then you deserve what happens next!

• Members

The volume is all the way up when i checked it. It's only subtle loss of output. maybe 8 out of 10 remaining. I think it will deserve a complete rewire. But i was wondering if its just the pickup selector switch that needs to be rewired.

• Members

Let's try this one more time: Have you tried it with the guitar plugged directly into the amp? What did you replace on your pedal board? Have you changed the order of the pedals? Since you've been without this guitar for four months are you sure you're not just imagining the loss of volume? Finally, the selector switch wouldn't cause a problem like this so you don't need to replace it.

• Moderators

I'm with Deep End here, pare...I'm inclined to think your changing of your pedal sequence is teh more likely culprit.

Do you run your pedals on AC powered wall warts or batteries?

The switch has nothing to do with it...and you should learn to solder!

• Members

Hum... Well as it would appear your from the Philippines perhaps your guitar being 4 months at your Luthier is normal. Never been there and have no desire to go there so I'm not sure how it works there. In any case it seems you like to post a lot about new gear. Appears you have GAS, in which case it might not be the guitar but something you've changed somewhere in that 4 month period. Kinda like Imelda Marcos and shoes perhaps? Ever thought about working on your own gear? Not that hard once you figure it out and its a lot better than having your guitar at the shop for 4 months, in which case didn't even fix it anyway, So how much did it cost to not have your guitar fixed right anyway? Not that I care, just wondering.

• Members
Hum... Well as it would appear your from the Philippines perhaps your guitar being 4 months at your Luthier is normal. Never been there and have no desire to go there so I'm not sure how it works there. In any case it seems you like to post a lot about new gear. Appears you have GAS' date=' in which case it might not be the guitar but something you've changed somewhere in that 4 month period. Kinda like Imelda Marcos and shoes perhaps? Ever thought about working on your own gear? Not that hard once you figure it out and its a lot better than having your guitar at the shop for 4 months, in which case didn't even fix it anyway, So how much did it cost to not have your guitar fixed right anyway? Not that I care, just wondering. [/quote']No need to bring race into the conversation. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would have no desire to travel to where you're from. Not relevant.

• Members
Let's try this one more time: Have you tried it with the guitar plugged directly into the amp? What did you replace on your pedal board? Have you changed the order of the pedals? Since you've been without this guitar for four months are you sure you're not just imagining the loss of volume? Finally' date=' the selector switch wouldn't cause a problem like this so you don't need to replace it.[/quote']

I tried plugging direct into my amp without any pedals and it doesn't sound right. Sounds pretty bad. especially the neck pickup. sounds like something is out of phase. I replaced my chorus pedal with my backup chorus pedal. I really don't know why the guitar lost some signal. but I guess guitars must be used regularly to avoid situations like this. I'll have it fixed by next week.

• Members
I'm with Deep End here, pare...I'm inclined to think your changing of your pedal sequence is teh more likely culprit.

Do you run your pedals on AC powered wall warts or batteries?

The switch has nothing to do with it...and you should learn to solder!

It's hard to explain what happened. I think the guitar just died on me. Maybe it had to do with the power of the pedals but no current goes through the 1/4 inch cables to break the guitar. I use a cheap power supply. maybe that's what caused it.

• Moderators

It's hard to explain what happened. I think the guitar just died on me. Maybe it had to do with the power of the pedals but no current goes through the 1/4 inch cables to break the guitar. I use a cheap power supply. maybe that's what caused it.

did you plug the guitar straight in to the amp? I'm sure that goes against everything you believe about tone, but I would go there first before assuming the guitar is 'broken'.

• Members
I tried plugging direct into my amp without any pedals and it doesn't sound right. Sounds pretty bad. especially the neck pickup. sounds like something is out of phase. I replaced my chorus pedal with my backup chorus pedal. I really don't know why the guitar lost some signal. but I guess guitars must be used regularly to avoid situations like this. I'll have it fixed by next week.

When you say "it doesn't sound right" do you mean it doesn't sound the way it does through the pedal board? If so, that's normal because there aren't any effects (i.e., pedals) in the signal chain. How is the gain set on your chorus pedal? Turn it up a tad and you'll be fine. It's also possible the backup pedal simply has less gain than the original.

As for guitars being used regularly or they "go bad," that's nonsense. Unless it has active electronics an electric guitar either works or it doesn't. We're talking about magnets and wire, stuff that normally doesn't degrade when it's not used. It's remotely possible your tech screwed something up, as badpenguin suggested, but frankly I find that unlikely. Replacing an output jack isn't rocket science.

• Members

We don't know how busy the shop is or what else was going on. I posted a while back about an exchange I overheard in a local (St. Louis) mom and pop music store. A kid had brought an old SG in to have some work and came in to check on it after something like five months. It turned out the owner had laid the guitar aside and it never got to the tech. The OP's "luthier" could also be some guy who works out of his garage and works on gear whenever he finds the time. It's not encouraging though. My turnaround time for replacing an output jack would probably be a week or so even if I had to buy the part.

• Members

I tell every one of my customers when their guitar will be done. And it is. Replacing a jack would be overnight, 1/2 hour of labor plus parts and I'd clean the pots. throw a new set of string on it and fill out the infamous spreadsheet. I'd also take the time to play it, either thru my piece of junk shop amp or if it was interesting, I'd probably take it in the house and play thru the big amp.

• Members

That, to me, is NOT an excuse Deep. An output jack: one nut, or 4 screws, 2 drops of solder, and put it back together. Something like that, when I was running a shop was a "Give me 5 minutes..... here you go, fixed." Out of my house, "give me 5 minutes.... "

As for the 5 months thing at a mom and pop store.... both parties are at blame. The guitars owner, for not checking in, and the stores owner for not doing the work and following up.

• Members

No I didn't plug straight into the amp. But I tried my other guitars and they all sounded the way they should. I don't see how plugging straight would validate anything. I'm sure the thing broke. but what I want to know is why? is there anything I could have done to avoid it?

• Members
Do you know the guy? Maybe his shingle says Lootier.

Yes, the luthier is good. but the guitar worked for about a month so I guess it's fair. if it died after a day then I think there would be something fair to say.

Archived