Stupidity knows no bounds when it comes to GAS, but maybe someone can tell me about this guitar I just bought - Gretsch content

GAS Man

• Members

Gretsch Guitars FSR Two-Tone Electromatic Double Jet Electric Guitar Surf Green and White

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Okay, so I bought the damn thing because "it is purdy", and I know what Forest Gump's mom said about "Stupid", so there's no running from that with this purchase, but it's now my daily pursuit to find more info on this guitar. It is a Factory Special Run, and can only be found within the GC/MF/M123/WWBW conglomerate, and on Amazon; and no one shows any specs for it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

The curiosity kicks in that it's MAP priced at $699 versus $499 for the standard issue Electromatic Double Jet guitars that come with a Bigsby. So this should be cheaper if no Bigsby, right? So why the extra 2 bills, i.e what do I get for the extra price of admission besides a surfy green finish?

Here's a standard E-Double Jet. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...%20Jet&index=1

And here's a somewhat earlier version of a FSR Double Jet in Red that I decided must be a comparable, but I'm just guessing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

But I'm hoping that the spec on the Red G5448 that states: "Dual Gretsch Professional Collection Filter™Tron HumbuckingPickups" are one this FSR model; and I'm also hoping that refers to the upper-end Gretsch pickups, i.e. the models that are just short of TV Jones manufactured.

Anyway, it may have some specs on it when it arrives Monday, but in the mean-time I've got some "WTF did I do" research I'm looking into with this guitar.

Here's a vid I found of someone playing the red version. Oh, and I at least bit at their 85% of MAP with their 4th of July discount.

[video=youtube;xxjjM_rwdnk]

I like reading that these guitars can cop some of that "Malcolm Young" tone, but I have little doubt that Malcolm would not be caught dead with this surfy green/gold/white/pearloid monstrosity, but then again, he neither appears to be a GAS'r or have to worry about the wife factor. :p

• Members

Indeed! But actually the reason that I was willing to forego the Bigsby, is that I already have a few guitars in stock with Bigsbys, and while I enjoy them, I find they deepen/darken the tone as well. However, on guitars that I own that have a Trapeze style tailpiece, the tone seems to have more of a top-end vibe. Since that guitar is chambered, I thought the lighter rigging plus the chambered body may yield a bit more of an acoustic vibe to the tone. And I really don't mind cheap gold hardware that wears off. I was traumatized the first time I had that happen to me with a MIJ Fender Telecaster, but I'm now more okay with that phenomena, i.e. like worn jeans. I do have to admit, that I have some concern it may be tooo purdy. But then again, there are no real photos I can find of this guitar to judge it's real color tone.

• Members
Can't tell you squat about it but I kinda like the 60's kitchen vibe. Hope it turns out to be a keeper. :thu:

Funny, I might then just have to get this "mid century modern" Ibanez amp to go with it. LOL

TSA5TVR-large.jpg

:lol:

Thanks. But may the HCEG Force be with me to box it back up and send it back if it's not a keeper!

• Members

Ok I looked over both guitars and I think I see why the one with the Bigsby is less money. You are spot on.

I have played pretty much many guitars in the newer Gretsch line up.

The Gretsch line up really consists of the MIJ Professional line up and the MIC Electromatics. There's a few American Custom shop Gretsch's too, but if you have to ask about the price, you can't afford em. :D

Most of the Pro line has pick ups that are either TV Jones or Filtertrons, but are good, but what TV Jones does is just amazing.

The Electromatics have what are called Black Top Filtertrons, and they ain't bad either, but as you make you way up the line you see that the Filtertron are better and the TJ Jones ones are even better.

What I have noticed is the red Gretsch with out the Bigsby has Filtertron, not Black Top Filtertrons. The Black one with the licensed Bigsby has the Blacktop Filtertrons.

So you are spot on about the pups.

Get the Red one.

I the one you are demo-ing in the vid is 200 bucks over the MF Price.

However if the shop comes down a bit, and tosses in a Gretsch labeled Archtop hardshell case, plus ads and extra bonus that would offset the cost of any tax and shipping costs, you are on talking terms.

Enjoy the Green one, but I liked the red one too.

Remember Malcolm's Gretsch has been heavily modded over the years and did not have a tone control on it, but has the 3 position switch tone control.

I has the Tennesee Rose and the Power Jet

• Members

What I have noticed is the red Gretsch with out the Bigsby has Filtertron, not Black Top Filtertrons. The Black one with the licensed Bigsby has the Blacktop Filtertrons.

So you are spot on about the pups.

Get the Red one.

Enjoy the Green one, but I liked the red one too.

Remember Malcolm's Gretsch has been heavily modded over the years and did not have a tone control on it, but has the 3 position switch tone control.

I has the Tennesee Rose and the Power Jet

That indeed is what I was hoping. Other brands, like Epiphone are doing that sort of thing too these days, i.e putting some Gibson components into the Epi line at a bit of a higher price point. I'd just feel like a real asshat if there were no other upgrades than a funky color.

And generally, I'd agree, the Red one would be my first choice, but I've got "red guitars" and I'd have to hear my wife go on about "Another Red Guitar!?" if I went with the Red. But indeed, it's $50 less at MF for what I suppose is just a different color and maybe one model year older.

GAS is a disease folks, please contribute so I can work to find a cure!

• Members

Just call Fender (who owns Gretsch) and they should be able to send you the specs.

Gretsch Guitars FSR Two-Tone Electromatic Double Jet Electric Guitar Surf Green and White

Okay, so I bought the damn thing because "it is purdy", and I know what Forest Gump's mom said about "Stupid", so there's no running from that with this purchase, but it's now my daily pursuit to find more info on this guitar. It is a Factory Special Run, and can only be found within the GC/MF/M123/WWBW conglomerate, and on Amazon; and no one shows any specs for it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

The curiosity kicks in that it's MAP priced at $699 versus $499 for the standard issue Electromatic Double Jet guitars that come with a Bigsby. So this should be cheaper if no Bigsby, right? So why the extra 2 bills, i.e what do I get for the extra price of admission besides a surfy green finish?

Here's a standard E-Double Jet. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...%20Jet&index=1

And here's a somewhat earlier version of a FSR Double Jet in Red that I decided must be a comparable, but I'm just guessing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

But I'm hoping that the spec on the Red G5448 that states: "Dual Gretsch Professional Collection Filter™Tron HumbuckingPickups" are one this FSR model; and I'm also hoping that refers to the upper-end Gretsch pickups, i.e. the models that are just short of TV Jones manufactured.

Anyway, it may have some specs on it when it arrives Monday, but in the mean-time I've got some "WTF did I do" research I'm looking into with this guitar.

Here's a vid I found of someone playing the red version. Oh, and I at least bit at their 85% of MAP with their 4th of July discount.

[video=youtube;xxjjM_rwdnk]

I like reading that these guitars can cop some of that "Malcolm Young" tone, but I have little doubt that Malcolm would not be caught dead with this surfy green/gold/white/pearloid monstrosity, but then again, he neither appears to be a GAS'r or have to worry about the wife factor. :p

• Members

Let's put this in some perspective: being a total asshat isn't the worst thing in the world. After all, we are guitar players. Asshattery comes with the territory.

You wanted to know about your guitar, so I will tell you: it is beautiful. Sometimes, cough, that is enough.*

* - I am talking about guitars here. Cough.

• Members
Let's put this in some perspective: being a total asshat isn't the worst thing in the world. After all' date=' we [i']are [/i]guitar players. Asshattery comes with the territory.

You wanted to know about your guitar, so I will tell you: it is beautiful. Sometimes, cough, that is enough.*

Thanks. My order arrives tonight, so I'm going to slip off a bit early today, swing by UPS, pick up the guitar and gig bag I ordered, un-box it, bring in the house nicely put away into its bag and then I'll see how far I get with the missus with my "This old thing?" response. I doubt I'll get far with that with surf green and gold. LOL smiley-embbarrassed

But I'll post some specs and pics soon. I figure there's got to be some info stuck on the guitar, and after that, I'll contact FMIC (as steve_man suggested above). But so far, I think it's been a interesting GASr's pastime to see how long MF, M123, WWBW & Amazon can offer this thing for sale with ZERO specs other than brand name, FSR, "Double Jet" and the color. Heck, they don't even bother with the model number. :lol:

• Members

Dunno about the Vaporizer. The guitar is turquoise, the amp is light green. Same basic color family but not quite the same. Don't want the guitar and amp to clash. Imagine that guitar next to an Orange amp. Talk about a fashion faux pas!

• Members

Funny stuff. ;^)

I've browsed those Falcons on line before, and I recall they were on the pricey boutique side. Hmm, I see Humbucker Music has them for a mere 4 x the price I was charged for that Gretsch.

As far as "faux pas" go, I'm just toying with getting a seafoam green strap or a white leather strap. And I promise not to use the white after labor day.

• Members
That looks really cool! Let us know how it goes!

I just had a little bit of time with it last night through a Super Champ XD and it sounded pretty good through that. Actually, "quite good". But tonight I was struggling a bit more with it. My Vox NightTrain 15H doesn't like that guitar, although the NT was getting along real well with my Gretsch Corvette this last weekend. (?). I'll have to try it through a bigger black face Fender soon.

But first, the specs!

I thought maybe there'd be some decals or paperwork included with the guitar to explain more about this "FSR" model, but all that was included is a Quality Control Card that shows its model no. as "G5448G 2TSG FSRMF" (and it was inspected on May 24, 2016) So it is, therefore, basically the same as the red one (I'm surmising) since they are both G5448 models. I believe the ending "G" on this Surf Green model is for the Gretsch tailbridge, and of course (2TSG) 2 Tone Surf Green and (FSRMF) Factory Special Run [for tha] Mutha Frienders.

I haven't been able to take pics yet, but I'll do that soon. The guitar is a hair more green than blue shaded (from above), but it's a pretty guitar. There's something(s) about it that feels a bit cheap, but yet I was getting some tones off it that sounded kinda "twangy cheap" but yet quite catchy. So there's a lot of presence off the thinner strings, and then there's this boomy bass from the E and A strings. So it goes a bit from "high presence" to "low presence" so balancing out the tone between strings will take a bit of amp/fx tweaking. I checked the intonation upon arrival and at least 3 were spot on, but on at least 2 strings, the fretted 12th was "flat" and it looks like I'll be using all the saddle travel up to cure that and may have to flip a saddle or two. And there's a hair of "fret buzz tone kill" that happens some of the time, so I've got to throw it up on the bench to check out its setup, but visually, it looks pretty close to where I'd set it. I also like that the two volume knobs work very well and more independent of each other than on a Gibson, so you can more readily hear treble or bass roll on/roll off with varying the mix of the volume knobs. Then if you find a blend you want to preserve, then you switch to the master volume so you can maintain that balance while adjust the overall output. Really kind of a cool feature when you think of it.

But indeed, I believe the upcharge really seems to be mostly for the pickups on this model. From doing a bit more reading, the reviews are good on these Gretsch Pro FilterTrons, whether or not it's worth foregoing a bigsby and paying an additional 2 bills for surfy green is definitely debatable. But get the red anyway, I would have, but my wife always says, "You've got too many red guitars!", and the red is $50 less and more conventional looking.

So I've got to study this critter some more before I decide if it's worthy. It's a guitar I want to like, but I need to decide if it's a marriage.

• Members
Let's put this in some perspective: being a total asshat isn't the worst thing in the world. After all' date=' we [i']are [/i]guitar players. Asshattery comes with the territory.

It looks minty fresh and delicious. How's it smell?

• Members

It looks minty fresh and delicious. How's it smell?

Pretty neutral I'd say. Not like the wonderful caramel/brown sugary smell you might get off a new Gibson.

I'm still trying to assess this guitar. I got it during the work week, and my wife is a bit crabby for me playing a lot when she's looking to de-stress at the end of the workday, and last night she was talking about putting me to work this weekend :eek: so my time with it has been shorter than I need.

So far I like its tone a bit better with smaller amps or more British voiced amps. As I mentioned above, the high strings sound bright, somewhat "Gretschy bright" but there's also a bit of a tinny quality to the high strings, rather than more solid highs. Then the lower strings sound a bit woofy with a bit less than normal definition, so far I'm finding the amp sounds best through amps, or fx settings, that compress the tone, i.e adding more definition to the bassier strings and compressing the brighter tones. I can't say as I have another guitar that compares, so it is a bit unique. You definitely hear its heavily chambered design, but yet it doesn't have that woody character to it that you'd hear on a 335 or a Gretsch 6120. The bass tones are a bit more like that of a bass guitar, but sometimes I'm hearing the vibe off those strings too, but not most of the time.

• Members
Should be a great guitar. Go to tv jones and find the page about correctly setting the Filtertron pickup heights and pole pieces. That should help get her dialed in.

Yes, I've thought about doing that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Eyeballing it, the p'ups and pole pieces look like they are in fairly good positions, but I am into tweaking p'up and pole piece heights so that's on the agenda before I am at a verdict. I'll just have to figure out which direction makes the treble sound less tinny and which direction will make the bass end sound less woofy.

241531_orig.png

I assume the above is with the strings depressed at the highest (note) frets.

• Members

P.S. another observation about this guitar: Great Sustain!!

AND - The tone is quite a bit better with a harder attack on the strings. I play a lot of my music with my fingernails, so I have a fairly light touch in that mode, but this guitar's tone improves considerably with a pick. It pulls more depth out of the high end strings and more vibe out of the low strings.

Archived