Stupidity knows no bounds when it comes to GAS, but maybe someone can tell me about this guitar I just bought - Gretsch content

GAS Man

• Members

Well, I dropped out after not too long. He was the best guitar instructor I ever had, but the process and homework were more demanding than what I could keep up with at that time. But I did indeed take out of that, a penchant for T, I, M, A finger picking, but I still grab picks for tremolo picking and banging the big (or small "power") chords.

• Members
. . . I'll just have to figure out which direction makes the treble sound less tinny and which direction will make the bass end sound less woofy.

241531_orig.png

I assume the above is with the strings depressed at the highest (note) frets.

No. The diagram you posted specifically says "strings open."

• Members

Thanks you, my eyes did not spot that. I think I'm getting along a bit better with that guitar now. But I still need to double check the set up, but I find that its action has been "settling in" a bit anyway since it arrived, like there now seems to be a bit less fret buzz, so the neck may have been gradually adding a bit of relief since it's been strung up. But last Sunday I ordered a Surf Green Strap for it from Eastwood Guitars, so I guess that means I'll probably be keeping 'er.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Have you gotten any more info on this? Are you still liking it? I just ordered one and had the same thoughts you did. Pickups are listed as filtertron but don't have a specific model. If I look up a $2000 duo jet the it also just says filtertron.

Surely they aren't putting the same pickups in a $700 guitar that they're putting in a $2000 guitar, right?

I've seen similar models with blacktops, I'm guessing that's what is in this. I've never heard of the blacktops prior to this research. I figure worst case if it looks good and sounds terrible I can just put some tv jones in it when the funds become available.

• Members
Have you gotten any more info on this? Are you still liking it? I just ordered one and had the same thoughts you did. Pickups are listed as filtertron but don't have a specific model. If I look up a $2000 duo jet the it also just says filtertron.

Surely they aren't putting the same pickups in a $700 guitar that they're putting in a $2000 guitar, right?

I've seen similar models with blacktops, I'm guessing that's what is in this. I've never heard of the blacktops prior to this research. I figure worst case if it looks good and sounds terrible I can just put some tv jones in it when the funds become available.

When I ordered it, MF had zero specs listed for it. Now they've added the following:

The G5448G Two-Tone Electromatic Double Jet takes power and style to a whole new level. Chambered double-cutaway basswood bodies and arched maple tops resonate true to That Great Gretsch Sound, upgraded with dual “High-Sensitive” Filter’Tron humbucking pickups and a gold G-cutout tailpiece. Add the two-tone Surf Green top and matching headcap with White body, sides and neck and you have a guitar that stuns with powerful sound and amazing style.

Other classic features include gold hardware, rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and neo-classic thumbnail inlays, three- position pickup toggle switch, anchored Adjusto-Matic bridge, “G-Arrow” knobs, white pearloid pickguard with Gretsch logo and threaded/ knurled strap buttons.

FEATURES

Body

Body shape: Double cutaway

Body type:Semi-hollow or chambered body

Body material:Solid wood

Top wood:Not applicable

Body wood:Basswood

Body finish:Gloss

Orientation:Right handed

Neck

Neck shape:U

Neck wood:Maple

Joint:Set-in

Scale length:24.6 in.

Truss rod:Standard

Neck finish:Gloss

Fretboard

Material:Rosewood

Radius:12 in.

Fret size:Medium

Number of frets:22

Inlays:Thumbnail

Nut width:1.69 in. (43 mm)

Pickups

Configuration:HH

Neck:Filter'Tron

Middle:Not applicable

Bridge:Filter'Tron

Brand:Gretsch

Active or passive pickups:Passive

Series or parallel:Series

Piezo:No

Active EQ:No

Special electronics:None

Controls

Control layout:Volume 1, volume 2, master volume, master tone

Pickup switch:3-way

Coil tap or split:No

Kill switch:No

Hardware

Bridge type:Fixed

Bridge design:Adjusto-matic, anchored

Tailpiece:Trapeze

Tuning machines:Vintage-style open-back

Color:Gold

But from what I understand, the reason this guitar costs more than their other Chinese made models is that these FSR models do indeed have Gretsch Filter'Tron pickups, a higher grade pickup than what's used on their Electromatic Series. So yes, I do believe that they use the same pickups as on much more expensive Gretsch models, but remember that Gretsch also often uses the even more expensive T.V. Jones model pickups on some of their guitars, and these are not made by them, but are instead made as a Gretsch product. But this upgrade is very similar to what Epiphone (for example) has done with some of their higher end products by putting USA pickups on some of their signature models like the Joe Bonamassa or Slash Les Pauls. (Although I don't know where the Gretsch pickups that usually go into their higher end Japanese made models are being manufactured)

I think the tone is quite good - good depth of tone but that Gretsch sparkle is there too; but the downsides are as follows.

Neck dive. Doesn't look like it would have it, but the body is fairly chambered (which does give it a cool Gretschy tone) so get a good suede strap. I ordered an Eastwood Airline strap in Seafoam Green, but that was a mistake. The backing is synthetic and too slick.

The other issue is the neck joint is huge. Upper fret access begins to get fairly limited at around above the 17th fret. From fretboard to back of neck joint, it's 2.25" thick at the 17th fret.

I also have had some trouble getting the action low enough for my liking on the bass side. i..e. a bit of excess fret buzz. I haven't got that all doped out yet, but I'll need to put it back on the bench again and after my next round of truss rod and bridge tweaking, I'll have to see if I can locate any high fret issues.

So it's been a bit of a mixed bag for me, but I do like it's great looks and the tone is indeed Gretsch. So I'd say, cool, but a ways from perfection. But the issues I raise (except for the neck joint) should be resolvable with a good strap and setup, and you might land a better pick than the one I received (as far as the action goes)

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you get yours. And as a P.S. you indeed can easily get Malcom Young tones out of it if your aim is not the retro Gretsch tones. I also happen to have my Gretsch Corvette out at this time (also made in China) and its Mega'Tron pickups are much hotter and far better for growly tones. This G5448G has lower output pickups which lends more versatility.

• Members

Yeah I kind of expected neck dive with the chambered body and I noticed the neck joint in the photos online.

My biggest concern was the pickups. I'm not looking for any sound in particular so unless they're terrible I don't think I'll be disappointed. I've got a studio LP with burst buckers and an American standard tele with stock single coils so I really just wanted something to mix it up. I was torn between p90's or the tv jones style and then I found this.

Ive already got a set of tv jones classics with a classic plus for the bridge priced out and in my wife's ear just in case.

Did you buy the gretsch case?

• Members

I think you should be happy enough with the pickups. I am. They have a vintage sound/output. They produce plenty of depth but also create a tubular glassy sound with the highs as well. The sound blooms from this guitar quite nicely. Dialing in the action has really been my only concern, and I do believe I can get that resolved to my satisfaction. The road-bump neck/body joint was a bit of a surprise, but OTOH, I don't play that much that high on the neck anyway, and I've got other guitars I can grab if upper fret access is an issue.

For a case, yeah, it would be nice to find a shaped case, but I have a fairly large guitar collection so I tend to prefer gig bags for my more modest priced guitars to save on space and mostly so they are protected in-house when they are out of rotation. So I got this guy - cheap - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gretsch-guitars-g2164-jet-solid-body-gig-bag?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CNjGwK2euNACFYKHfgodbaIHpg&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^140859118581-sku^H78492000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

It's a bit snug zipping it up around the lower bouts (due to the body's thickness) but as long as I help pull up some slack as I'm stuffing in the lower body, it zips up easily enough. If you're going to travel with it a bit, then you may be happier with a hard case or a thicker, roomier gig bag.

Archived