John Mayer No Longer With Fender

cerebrix

• Members

I like Mayer....I don't get all the hate he gets. Seems like jealousy every time I hear someone say something negative about him. Guy can flat out play. Not really a huge fan of his music but it's not bad either.

As for fender I suspect this is just another sign of there imminent collapse. When CEO's start cutting costs....artist endorsements will be near the top of the list.

• Members

i dont think its douchey. twitter is just the standard for how celebs communicate with the public now. thats how the world works going forward.

heres what he said after that

7kUUWZl.jpg

with the whole "why i fired fender" post (link in case you missed it http://www.msretailer.com/msr/fired-fender/ )

it seems like fender is doing its best to squeeze anyone that isnt dedicated to whoppingly increase their profit margin. artists are noticing it. so are shops. 2 of my favorite shops are dropping fender. i almost ended up buying a wolfgang and both my local shops were like "we like you, but i really dont want to special order another fender".

i think this is what happens when you appoint the former beats ceo to your board of directors (true story). it shows the direction the company wants to take going forward and i'm not sure that kind of plan is going to vibe well with musicians

• Members

I heard Fender is going direct, hence there's no reason for the dealers to support them. I doubt that's the reason Mr. Mayer is dropping them. If I had to guess, they weren't giving him the love he wants, either in the form of a new model and/or money. He's a big name and it's likely two titans trying to define who's the tail and who's the dog. A lot of assumptions here, but fun to postulate.

On another note, I find John Mayer to be a SRV rip off and a bad one at that. I do like his songs and voice though. Just my my opinion.

• Members
i dont think its douchey. twitter is just the standard for how celebs communicate with the public now. thats how the world works going forward.

heres what he said after that

7kUUWZl.jpg

with the whole "why i fired fender" post (link in case you missed it http://www.msretailer.com/msr/fired-fender/ )

it seems like fender is doing its best to squeeze anyone that isnt dedicated to whoppingly increase their profit margin. artists are noticing it. so are shops. 2 of my favorite shops are dropping fender. i almost ended up buying a wolfgang and both my local shops were like "we like you, but i really dont want to special order another fender".

i think this is what happens when you appoint the former beats ceo to your board of directors (true story). it shows the direction the company wants to take going forward and i'm not sure that kind of plan is going to vibe well with musicians

From the article, they are going to sell their products through the website. I have no problem with that as I think it's smart. Why sell your products through MF or GC if you don't have to.

• Members
I like Mayer....I don't get all the hate he gets. Seems like jealousy every time I hear someone say something negative about him. Guy can flat out play. Not really a huge fan of his music but it's not bad either.

As for fender I suspect this is just another sign of there imminent collapse. When CEO's start cutting costs....artist endorsements will be near the top of the list.

A lot of the hate came after his Rolling Stone interview a few years ago.

• Members

I've posted about what's happened to Fender before but in a nutshell. The only thing we learn from History is that we repeat it.

1 Leo Fender starts a great company with great guitars

2. Leo sells the company to CBS

3. CBS guitars - declining quality, declining sales, run by bean counters

4. CBS sell to former CBS employees led by Bill Schultz

5. Starting from almost no inventory they build the company back up, start the custom shop, quality instruments and leading the company to a 2nd golden age

6. Greed. Expand to increase profits! Buy more instrument lines. Expansion too fast, recession hits

7. Outside investors...the bean counters back in control

8. lower QC, throwing out low priced lines just to bring in cash [FSR butterscotch tele vs. Amercian STd Tele], pawn shop etc

9. in the pursuit of increasing cash flow and making the company look good on "paper" allows Guitar Center to recieve credit at dangerous levels

John Mayer no longer wants to work with bean counters

we are back to when CBS sold the company to Bill Schultz, don't know if they can dig themselves out of this hole

• Members

Sounds like a seismic shift in the industry is taking place. I love Fender and love being able to play a guitar before I pay, so I hope that never changes - hang in there GC.

As far as Mayer goes, his tweet doesn't seem vitriolic to me, just informative. Good player but his music doesn't do much for me.

• Members
i guess over at strat-talk they were saying there was also a shift in artist relations where they now want all their artists playing their amps too.

Hmmm, interesting. How about straps? Strings? If such is true where might it stop?:rolleyes2:

Archived