John Mayer No Longer With Fender

cerebrix

• Members
yeah but their amps are still really solid

They've been selling more amps than guitars for years. I don't think Hartley has cared about selling guitars for years. He's been asked to reissue the MIA Predators and other models for years and won't do it. But I guess he knows what he's doing because like you said their amps are still solid.

• Members
last interview i saw with him (the tone king interview) he seemed really excited about continuing his r&d of guitars that arent made from wood.

The Composite Acoustics. I'm talking about electrics He did reissue a version of the Vandenberg series but had Peavey's cheap floyds on them. He bought Composite Acoustics a couple of years ago and paid for that company in cash :).

• Members

Why judge him on this? If I was in his position, (we) would do what's best. There are many makers that could satisfy his needs, and be happy to pay for the endorsement.

Why judge? When you don't really know the details. Tho you think you might.

• Members

yawn... the guy seems like a bit of a tool anyways. It's not like they're gonna quit making Strats. They just will not have his name on them. Signature guitars are really just a way to jack up the price and get publicity for artists and the guitar brand. Honestly, Fender and Gibson's obsession with continually trying to push prices higher on their guitars is just getting lame. I like nice guitars, but really... a good Strat is a good Strat, and a good LP is a good LP. Plenty of good used guitars out there these days.

• Members
I like Mayer....I don't get all the hate he gets. Seems like jealousy every time I hear someone say something negative about him. Guy can flat out play. Not really a huge fan of his music but it's not bad either.

As for fender I suspect this is just another sign of there imminent collapse. When CEO's start cutting costs....artist endorsements will be near the top of the list.

I agree. I loved his sig fender too, nice thick neck and chimey pickups. Last time I checked too, he'd nailed every hot chick in hollywood.

• Members

A while back I read that the Yngvie model was the top selling USA Artist model. At first, I was kind of surprised to read that, but it actually makes sense. The Yngvie has some oddball specs that not a lot of companies offer (scalloped neck) whereas something like the Mayer may offer a slighty different neck shape or pickup configuration - which you can do aftermarket pretty easily.

• Members

I agree. I loved his sig fender too, nice thick neck and chimey pickups. Last time I checked too, he'd nailed every hot chick in hollywood.

That's why I don't like him. Not because he's a bad person, annoying singer, or has a cool signature Strat that I don't. It's because he nails a hot chick every night.

• Members

Let's not forget that there have been plenty that he hasn't gotten to until they were will used with higher mileage.....Aniston... Katy Perry..... and then you have the always homely Taylor Swift saying that they "did stuff... but never went all the way".....LOL how frustrating that must have been for poor Mayer..... he's sitting there thinking "not only is my singing voice a poor pop imitation of Stevie Ray Vaughan's, but I am a millionaire that can't get this chick that looks like a rat smelling a turd (Swift) to take it in the trunky or the tradesman entrance."

Archived