blocking a strat trem

• Members

what's the best thing to use? i really don't feel capable of making a piece of wood to fit.

Get a bunch of tongue depressors and start wedging them in there until you figure out how many will fit tightly. Then tap them down in there gently with a hammer and something like a dowel.

• Members

i dunno, i suppose it would be fine that way but i only have 2-3 springs for this guitar... im more concerned about finding new bridge screws though. I measured from E to E and it looked to be about 2-1/4" not 2 3/16" user error? Possibly. The GFS String Saver saddles call for 3/16.

I only have 3 springs on my guitar, if you tighten the screws that hold the spring claw into the body it should be more than enough to hold it down, then you can screw the pivot screws down so they are flush with the top of the bridge plate and it will be solid as a rock.

what's up with the saddles??

• Members

why bother blocking it with anything? just tighten the screws and springs down, it won't move anywhere.

This is what I did on my Jagmaster and it seems to have done the trick, never got the whole stick a block of wood in there thing :lol:

• Members

This is what I did on my Jagmaster and it seems to have done the trick, never got the whole stick a block of wood in there thing
:lol:

no, I don't see the point at all myself.

I got around to putting the jaguar control plate in mine a while back, it looks good. :)

• Members

I only have 3 springs on my guitar, if you tighten the screws that hold the spring claw into the body it should be more than enough to hold it down, then you can screw the pivot screws down so they are flush with the top of the bridge plate and it will be solid as a rock.

I did this on my Strat a good while ago and it works. However, I'm still thinking of blocking the trem to see if I can increase sustain.

• Members

I doubt you'll hear a noticeable difference in sustain

This is probably true but even with 5 springs tightened up I as well noticed some movement of the bridge on agressive string bends or when a string broke so I have some blocked and some non floating (as well as two hardtails). If you hook up to your tuner and play a low E string and then bend the G without plucking it you can see the low E go flat with an unblocked bridge that has just been tightened down. I could never get my Squier Affinity Strat to stay in tune with trem use so I blocked it and the problem was solved. Some guy stated on one of the forums that he used a chunk of his kids lego to block his trem!

Archived