Play Dolly's "Jolene" on 33⅓.... and listen to what you get.

• Members

Jesse Winchester, anyone?

Man, I really, really like that. Of course, I really, really like the, uh, original. But, damn, that's great. Seriously. And the downspin gives it a real downtempo, lo fi kind of vibe -- the syncopation and bounce really comes out. Let's hope no one does a remix. It's perfect as is.

I guess I hear more of a Roy Orbison thing going on in her lowered voice, though the actual timbre seems different than either of those guys. (I'm a big fan of JW's first couple albums but I lost touch along the way. I need to catch up. Listening to the Talk Memphis album right now. Willie Mitchell producing. "Say What." So far it's very sunny and well manicured. Jesse's singing is nice and fluid...

EDIT: Just heard "Baby Blue" off JW's Memphis album. I get the reference, now. Though I think they both sound kinda Orbisonic.

• Members
Man, I really, really like that. Of course, I really, really like the, uh, original. But, damn, that's great. Seriously. And the downspin gives it a real downtempo, lo fi kind of vibe -- the syncopation and bounce really comes out. Let's hope no one does a remix. It's perfect as is.

Agreed. Would you believe I've played this video, like, 10 times today? (And can you think of anything existentially sillier than to groove this much... on a recording played at the wrong speed? haha)

• Members
It's interesting that you mention Roy Orbison.

If you slow down some of Roy's recordings, they sound like Elvis and when you speed up some of Elvis' stuff it sounds like Roy.

I would also like to add that Elvis said Roy Orbison was the greatest singer that ever lived so maybe he was trying to emulate some of Roy's style

• Members

Here's a take on this phenomenon by The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/08/slowed-down-dolly-parton.html

Best,

Geoff

Nice write-up. His observations about her the oft-hidden depth of her talent are spot-on.

I really liked his wrap-up:

And then there’s Parton herself, with breasts like launching missiles and the wardrobe of a seven-year-old with resources. She’s never tried to hide or apologize for her tackiness or her self-sculpting. “It costs a lot to look this cheap,” she likes to say. As she tells it, Dolly the multimillionaire and international star is a direct product of Dolly the little girl, who decided to model herself after the local hooker in the backwoods-Tennessee town where she grew up. She’s like an ambassador from a world where hard times make you stronger, but they’re still to be avoided; where you escape your past not by running away but by planting a ladder where you stand and climbing up.

• Members

At what point do we find out that the whole thing has always been a ruse? That the original recordings were made by a man and then sped up to sound like a female? That Parton has always just been a drag queen? That the breasts were never real and her husband of 45 years (who no one has never seen anyway) doesn't really exist?

Archived