Question about the new vBulletin

Anderton

• Members

Go to the upper right corner of the HC page; click on your user name. You should see an option for user settings. You'll end up on a tabbed set of pages. The second tab is Account. You should see blank password fields at the top. You'll need your current pw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Craig,

Honestly, I find the text to be too small. I would also like some contrast when quoting another post. Some other forums also have a white background on every odd numbered post and a different color for even numbered posts. To me, that makes a thread easier to read. I`m still hoping we can make the site easier to read.

EB

• Members

Ernest, do you use the Chrome browser?

I'm a big fan of Stylebot, a plugin extension for Chrome that lets you customize the look of any site you use it on (and it remembers for next time, crucially) or use community-supplied re-styles for various sites. It works by overlaying the site's internal CSS in your own browser. Usually changing something like post font/size/etc is pretty easy. Getting the alternating post colors might take a bit of sussing but one of our CSS-savvy pals could probably help you. ;) I have a few different restyles available for others to use, myself, one for Google's online music player (which works mostly very well but is a bit on the painful-looking side), one for a certain, normally blue/purple recording site (restyle called Gray GS), a rather unambitious one for Google News. http://stylebot.me/users/ks2problema

If you do use Chrome, want to try Stylebot, I could help you tinker in the changes you wanted.

• Members
Ernest, do you use the Chrome browser?

I'm a big fan of Stylebot, a plugin extension for Chrome that lets you customize the look of any site you use it on (and it remembers for next time, crucially) or use community-supplied re-styles for various sites. It works by overlaying the site's internal CSS in your own browser. Usually changing something like post font/size/etc is pretty easy. Getting the alternating post colors might take a bit of sussing but one of our CSS-savvy pals could probably help you. ;) I have a few different restyles available for others to use, myself, one for Google's online music player (which works mostly very well but is a bit on the painful-looking side), one for a certain, normally blue/purple recording site (restyle called Gray GS), a rather unambitious one for Google News. http://stylebot.me/users/ks2problema

If you do use Chrome, want to try Stylebot, I could help you tinker in the changes you wanted.

I`m using Safari.

• Members

It wastes a lot of screen space. The form page isn't as informative as the previous (where I could see how many posts since my last post). And it's a bit fiddlier: it was easy to go to the last post I read in a thread; now I have to hit a tiny blue circle with my shaky hands, but oh well.

The post editor isn't the basket case of the last one! YAY! Big improvement there. That was awful. I kept having to drop into HTML to format stuff, or undoing after hitting backspace and the wrong stuff disappears (and so on, and on, and on).

We need to have the page buttons at the bottom! I keep getting to the bottom of a page and entering a reply, without remembering that there were more pages to read (which I have to scroll back to the top to get to). Really, who designs a default layout like that? Maybe it's fixed already. I make the above mistake even when the page buttons are there!

• Members
None of the links out there in the search engines work anymore.

They are still linking to the old site.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...mony%20central

Yahoo still does search? heh (I think it's actually supplied by MS's Bing, though).

At least one of those listings in the Yahoo returns would NEVER have worked, the one to "harmonycenrals" (at least as far as I know). Yahoo is (sorry, Marissa Meyer) a big, fat joke.

EDIT: Checking Google's listings for "harmony central" I note that a lot of them DO go to the old Lithium system pages for stuff like pro reviews and such which are still up. This WILL prove to be a problem getting search engine returns to show the new site (only) going forward, at least until the old content is down.

• Members

I'm just glad the Posting issue has been fixed. At least for the most part. It can still hang up for several minutes and fail)

There are still a couple of dead forums you cant get into. Not sure what's up with that.

• Members

Well I just got home and the top link now works, although it says "Reviews - Harmony Central". I check this site from multiple locations. This morning from work none of the links worked. Don't know how different computers from different locations could give different results? I used to be able to just type "Harmony" in the search bar where ever I was and Harmony Central would be one of the top two or three choices.

• Members

Yahoo is (sorry, Marissa Meyer) a big, fat joke.

You've got that right but I've had the same email address for fifteen years now. There are SO many things that they have F'ed up. One thing that I just realized the other day is that their email no longer allows you to search for photos. I can't believe it !!!! I have fifteen years worth of photos in various email messages but there is no way to find them anymore.

• Members
Well I just got home and the top link now works, although it says "Reviews - Harmony Central". I check this site from multiple locations. This morning from work none of the links worked. Don't know how different computers from different locations could give different results? I used to be able to just type "Harmony" in the search bar where ever I was and Harmony Central would be one of the top two or three choices.
If certain domain changes are made, it can take a while to ripple through the domain name server system around the world. Also, there are occasions when information is cached and that info contains old URLs and such. Parts of the Internet are so complexly interrelated and so dynamic that it can be hard to predict WHAT will happen.

• Members

You've got that right but I've had the same email address for fifteen years now. There are SO many things that they have F'ed up. One thing that I just realized the other day is that their email no longer allows you to search for photos. I can't believe it !!!! I have fifteen years worth of photos in various email messages but there is no way to find them anymore.

Oh, man! Does Yahoo have a way for you to DL them in batch?

• Members

Oh, man! Does Yahoo have a way for you to DL them in batch?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "DL them in batch" but apparently other people are having the same problem:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVwn5MDZT8WwAR4NXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMzZhZ2lxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1FJMDU1XzE-?qid=20110927030600AA4vJZ4

I probably have hundreds of images that I had accumulated over the years. The way it used to work was I could click "View All Photos" and browse through them or you could search by the name of the photo or even just a subject and they would pop up. The old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" sums up Yahoo perfectly . Every time they change something it is for the worst. I can only hope that if enough people complain to Yahoo they might change it back. Unfortunately there is no way to complain to Yahoo. smiley-mad

Archived