Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this single?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^Unless he's posting elsewhere on HC...
    Then I'll have to take my foot out of my mouth One more time.
    In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

• Hey...what ever happened to 'Little Lord Fauntleroy' i.e. Siva 115.?..
      Seems some of the Senior members here had him pegged for a 'Sharpie'

Lesson learned by 'LSW' (me)...

Give the senior posters their 'props' when they smell something amiss.

Don't trust Musical 'Carpetbaggers'

When eating 'Crow' use a lot of seasoning so it doesn't taste so bad.

G'night, Jeff
      G'night, Ken
      G'night. Boosh
      G'nght, Aladin
      G'night anyone I missed

G'night John-Boy

Who the hell still uses the word carpetbagger? Were you alive during the civil war?

Comment

• Who the hell still uses the word carpetbagger? Were you alive during the civil war?

Hi Siva, glad you're back

Yeah, I actually fought in the Civil War, I was with the Second Corps of the Salvation Army...I used to beat that big freakin' drum...
        I'm the oldest guy on this site..... old as Dinosaur Dung

Comment

• Another option for the op to stand apart from the pack is a contest like Guitar Center's King of the Blues.

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/

I watched some video of the most recent winner, Kirby Kelly, and was quite impressed. He's got some unique technique of using two slides.
          http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

• Another option for the op to stand apart from the pack is a contest like Guitar Center's King of the Blues.

I watched some video of the most recent winner, Kirby Kelly, and was quite impressed. He's got some unique technique of using two slides.

That was pretty interesting. I actually thought his two slide electric piece in that vid was more musically coherent and less 'gimmicky' than his more conventional single slide acoustic piece.

When I'm confronted with some new jaw-dropping technique nowadays, the first thing I do is close my eyes and listen to how it sounds as music. I thought the two slide technique actually produced a musically solid piece that introduced some slide moves that couldn't really be done any other way. (You could use slide and fretting to come quite close, though.)

I hope we hear more of Mr Kelly!

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I actually entered in that this year. I got cut in the first round for not being "traditional." A lot of people in the crowd came up to me and told me it was ****************ed up and I got robbed..but nothing to cry over.

Comment

Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy58SaIRhs

Comment

• Mr. Kelly...yeah, he looks like a guy who has paid his dues,
                  He has a nice Bluesy patina to his countenance, a little worn but plenty o' miles left on him.

He kinda blends in with his nicely worn axe and that and crinkled guitar strap.

Looks like his gear and he are definite 'Club experienced' Vets.

Comment

• Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy58SaIRhs

Well now you've also discovered another one of your biggest enemies..........differing taste in music.

Myself, these days I prefer to watch and hear great keyboardists. I also think of the human voice as being the ultimate musical instrument and I'd gladly give up all my lighting fast guitar licks to be a better vocalist. I rarely get excited by instrumentals.

A seemingly large percentage of young people like hip hop/rap/etc., that would seem to be quite an obstacle for a younger artist to overcome.

You're competing with guys/gals that use drum machines and ableton live on one side and people that are amazing vocalists and pop song writers on the other.

Good luck!
                    http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

• Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy58SaIRhs

So... it must kill you that so many people think that guy is so much better than you, huh?

Look, I've listened to both songs, I have a disinclination to gimmicky technique, I think contests are themselves gimmicks and tend to debase the musical dialog and often elevate flash over content -- and, nonetheless, I have to tell you that I think that first song in the vid has much more musical coherence and focus than yours, that his playing has more edge and vitality, that there is much more -- many quantum jumps more -- meaningful, coherent, satisfying musical content that comes across to me from his playing in the electric song in that vid than I get from from your song.

That is, of course, just one person's perspective. And I do like the blues. No doubt you can find someone into easy listening lite-jazz who likes the filter sweeps and other dated electronica trappings you've included and doesn't mind the noodly, meandering course of your solo. It's a big world and, hopefully, there's someone else out there who will appreciate your efforts as much as you do.

EDIT: That may sound like tough, even uncharitable criticism, but your unabashed slagging (ridicule is a better word) of Kelly's piece pretty well negated any inclination toward further charitability I could muster.

Comment

• So... it must kill you that so many people think that guy is so much better than you, huh?

Look, I've listened to both songs, I have a disinclination to gimmicky technique, I think contests are themselves gimmicks and tend to debase the musical dialog and often elevate flash over content -- and, nonetheless, I have to tell you that I think that first song in the vid has much more musical coherence and focus than yours, that his playing has more edge and vitality, that there is much more -- many quantum jumps more -- meaningful, coherent, satisfying musical content that comes across to me from his playing in the electric song in that vid than I get from from your song.

That is, of course, just one person's perspective. And I do like the blues. No doubt you can find someone into easy listening lite-jazz who likes the filter sweeps and other dated electronica trappings you've included and doesn't mind the noodly, meandering course of your solo. It's a big world and, hopefully, there's someone else out there who will appreciate your efforts as much as you do.

EDIT: That may sound like tough, even uncharitable criticism, but your unabashed slagging (ridicule is a better word) of Kelly's piece pretty well negated any inclination toward further charitability I could muster.

yeah, ummm... like Blue said...(he's good with all those bigs words and stuff

You can't get over yourself, can you?oke:

Comment

• If it's any consolation to siva, I often feel like my own attempts at guitar instrumentals often suffer from some of the same failings... and, for that matter, some of my bb posts tend to be pretty much on the unfocused, noodly side, as well.

One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others.

Comment

While this is honestly not my thing (and I like blues), this guy definitely has some serious talent and can play, good sense of melody and timing, all that. Simply not my thing, but that's not important. I like the two-slide thing. Thanks for the post!
                            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

• One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others.

Always good advice. I think that's just about always the case for people seeking comments or anything else.
                              Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

• One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others.

Why would I want to avoid this?

Comment

Working...
                                X