What pickguard for vintage white strat?

metal0822

• Members

I cant find much online. i was thinking pearloid might look good and maybe mint green. Im open to other suggestions though.

mine...

0422092114a.jpg

pearloid guard (only pic i could find on the net)

41167dh_18.jpeg

mint guard

yjmstratsmall.jpg

im not really looking for pictures of olympic white strats, as they are quite different to my eyes. thanks.

• Members

I had a tortoise shell on my antique white strat for a while and didn't like it much at all.

For the longest time, I had a yellowed/aged prealoid guard with black pickup covers and knobs. I replaced it with a normal pearloid guard when I put some Duncans in it, so I can't take a good pic of the previous combo. The difference isn't radical, but having looked at both of them, I 100% prefer the aged/yellowed pearl over the normal white pearl. Basically, with the aged pearl, it looks like the body and the pick guard aged and yellowed together.

Here's a crappy pic of the aged/yellowed guard.

IMG_3358a2.jpg

• Members

Here's a couple comparing the aged pearloid vs white pearloid. The aged pearloid came off of a friends stock Fender Custom Shops something something guitar and the white pearloid is a fresh Fender from Guitar Center.

P1070006a1.jpg

P1070011a1.jpg

• Members

wow thanks a lot for those pics. i like the aged pearloid a lot.

i was having some other thoughts of going against the norm at dinner. particularly i was thinking either a medium-dark gray, or taking an old tye dye shirt or snow camo bandana i have, and spray gluing them on like a headliner in a car :idk:

what do you say HC? traditional or make it my own?

• Members

I'd go with mint green but I'd also want to consider "parchment" - also known as "antique white".

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Standard%20Materials.html

:thu: I think parchment looks great w/ VW, and mint is good too.

I'm with the OP on tortoisehell: looks great on an Oly or Artic White guitar, and a lot of other colors, but vintage white isn't one of them.

• Members

any comments about doing my own thing with it? with the fabric of choice covering mine?

Try it. If it does not work, you can always change it. :thu:

Here's my old G&L Legacy. I like the pearloid myself. Any aging on this one is natural aging from having a few years on it.

Legacy.jpg

• Members

I think camo or arctic camo would be pretty cool to attempt, but I'm not sure how arctic camo would work with vintage white.

I think the idea of gluing fabric to a pick guard would work best if the guitar was to turn out as a punkish 'well used' look. Maybe black with a few stickers or something like that.

• Members

maybe ill just get a new white one. the one on there now is warped up between two of the screws and is really starting to bother me. im still thinking of covering it in fabric, preferably from a tye dye shirt.

Archived