Somebody owes DR an apology

flatfinger

• Members

In the recent 8 page thread the record industry collapse http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2212889

someone said Dean Roddey was Mr. doom and gloom.

I don't agree and I think he's unfortunatly right about most of the state of the industry ( SCREWED) Read this stuff , and in paticular look at the neilsen sound scan pdf ( look at how much the sales would have dropped without disneys constructed crapp or american Idol !!!) and ,tell me I'm wrong . Please , I'd like to be ... It's depressing

http://www.narm.com/2008Conv/StateoftheIndustry.pdf

In 2007 there were more than 570,000 different albums that sold at least 1 copy . How many albums where purchased fewer that 100 times ?? Answer 450,344. Nearly 80% of all albums were purchased less than 100 times.

Josh Gorban (who?) was the top selling artist in 2007 with sales greater than 4.8 million .

I read that it was a xmas album that wasn't even released until october of that year so it sold all those copies as a stocking stuffer ???

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2008-02-14-guitar-hero-effect_N.htm

http://http://www.idolator.com/tunes/nielsen/nielsens-soundscan-crackdown-the-numbers-are-in-and-theyre-not-good-232126.php

Don't think I'm really trying to get in the paticular posters grill . just looking for an interesting title for the thread !!

• Members

For whatever reason, I never looked at that thread until now. I just know that except for possibly Moses Avalon, most people seem to think that the record industry is in freefall.

And I also know that the few times someone actually puts something out that is decent that people want, it actually sells.

I also figure - although I don't know - that downloads and torrentz and filesharing probably don't help sales very much, but may not hurt them quite as much as people make them out to be.

And I don't know what the future holds, but it will most likely have something to do with even less centralized distribution, as everyone tries to invent their own methods of online distribution to try and grab tiny little shares of a seemingly shrinking pie.

• Members

In the recent 8 page thread the record industry collapse

someone said Dean Roddey was Mr. doom and gloom.

I don't agree and I think he's unfortunatly right about most of the state of the industry ( SCREWED) Read this stuff , and in paticular look at the neilsen sound scan pdf ( look at how much the sales would have dropped without disneys constructed crapp or american Idol !!!) and ,tell me I'm wrong .
Please
, I'd like to be ... It's depressing

Don't think I'm really trying to get in the paticular posters grill . just looking for an interesting title for the thread !!

This conversation has been going on in some form since 2001, and I find it amazing that anyone could not get what has happened to the record business. And how it has adversely affected anyone who records music for profit.

I always believe that: Know the truth and the truth will set you free. Some folks don't like to hear the truth.

• Members

I don't agree and I think he's unfortunatly right about most of the state of the industry ( SCREWED) Read this stuff , and in paticular look at the neilsen sound scan pdf (look at how much the sales would have dropped without disneys constructed crapp or american Idol !!!) and ,tell me I'm wrong .
Please
, I'd like to be... It's depressing

Quote from the PDF above:

"Digital music downloads emerged and experienced tremendous growth; 490%"

What is so depressing about this quadrupling of sales?

And why do you assume this is related to Disney releases?

And what do you have against Disney?

• Members

And what do you have against Disney?

Disney in and of itself does'nt bother me ; it's there attention to the latest teeny fashion ( and creating it , cardboard character style) and lack of artistic values that I find to be troubling.

Sorry , I don't wish to offend If you happen to be a a Hanah Montana fan!!:poke:

• Members

That's true ... and I'm prepared to cop whatever flak I attract for having that attitude.

I don't have a problem with different views on a topic. But this particular topic is like global warming for the recording industry. It is very serious and the answer/answers to the problem is important.

I respect your opinion (though I dissagree with it) but I do think that the solution lies somewhere between your view and Dean's. The survival of the music industry as we knew it is at stake here. And that is not "Doom and Gloom" just reality.

• Members

OMG is someone gonna apologize to the poor bugger or what?

Dean I am so sorry that someone posted a post to get you an apology and no one but me apologized. I don't know why i am apologizing but that is just the kind of guy i am, i don't want to see you sad or un-apologized to or anyone for that matter.

I would like to offer apologies to anyone, for anyone, even from me if you need them, i am sorry, you chose what for.

Whew hope that helps.

As for the music business, let that {censored} die, now! The less business the more music i say.

• Members

The survival of the music industry as we knew it is at stake here. And that is not "Doom and Gloom" just reality.

True. It's not "doom and gloom" per se, but the lamenting of an expired business is.

Video killed the radio star. ;)

And in the spirit of athletes on steroids, I'd like to offer a "non-apology apology":

I'd like to apologize if anyone was upset by my positions on this issue. I'm sorry that you feel offended. I'm not sorry for having my own thoughts and ideas, but if you don't agree with me, I'm sorry that your mind works that way.

:o;)

• Members

As was pointed out already, he is talking about the writers share. In a conventional recording the writer/publisher gets 9.1 cents. With iTunes the writer gets 3 cents.

And to whom are the remaining 65 cents payed out in the U.S.?

iTunes pays us 68 US cents per song from the sales in the US, more from countries where songs cost more. The normal composer/publishing contract is 60% for the composer/lyricist and 40% for the publisher, in other words 40.8 cents go to the songwriter.

• Members

I guess I don't see the gloom and doom aspect. I see change taking place rapidly and I prefer the new. I'd rather buy a digital download for $.99 any day than buying an album (cd).

However, I don't make a living with my music so I'm basically an average consumer with the exception that I don't believe in pirating copy writed music.

Funny thing, but there is so much "old" music available that I love that can keep me busy throughout my life time that I'm not very worried about anything new. The recording industry is not profitable? I guess I don't dwell on that much.

"I don't have a problem with different views on a topic. But this particular topic is like global warming for the recording industry. It is very serious and the answer/answers to the problem is important."

There are those of us in this world who don't think global warming exists. It's cyclic change. We have to adjust to the change. (signs off now not wanting a discussion on global warming).

• Members

And to whom are the remaining 65 cents payed out in the U.S.?

iTunes pays us 68 US cents per song from the sales in the US, more from countries where songs cost more. The normal composer/publishing contract is 60% for the composer/lyricist and 40% for the publisher, in other words 40.8 cents go to the songwriter.

Publishing ( you know ; words or something printed on a page with ink ) is when someone buys a fake book with your song in or a compilation of your greatist his book . The itune article discusses what you would get for the sale of the actual "media" (what used to be a disc of some sort ) .

Zucchini and brussel sprouts

It's quite alright to hold a different point of veiw , A healthy discorse is what a thread should be . Apples and Oranges again though.

Also keep in mind that you can't really make wide and sweeping generalizations about contracts and what the percentage breakdowns are . There is no "standard" contract .

It's whatever the two parties hash out and make it. That's how star struck pups get into situations they regret forever ( which is why you SHOULD be interested in the buisness side of things halljam.. If your ever offered a contract, thats a bad time ( as you will be pressured to respond in a timely manner) to just get a rudimentry knowledge so you can discuss it the Music lawyer you dam well better hire.( not patent law or an abulance chase or you cousin who just graduated law school). Knowing a little about it could also help avoid a crooked lawyer , who gives himself a huge peice of the action , unbenounced to you !!

Here's a nice reference

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/recording-contract2.htm

from the link page2

Multiplatinum artists like TLC ("Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg," "Waterfalls") and Toni Braxton ("Unbreak My Heart" and "Breathe Again") have been forced to declare bankruptcy because their recording contracts didn't pay them enough to survive.

"Corrupt recording agreements forced the heirs of Jimi Hendrix ("Purple Haze," "All Along the Watchtower" and "Stone Free") to work menial jobs while his catalog generated millions of dollars each year for Universal Music.

"Florence Ballard from the Supremes ("Where Did Our Love Go," "Stop in the Name of Love" and "You Keep Me Hangin' On" are just 3 of the 10 #1 hits she sang on) was on welfare when she died.

"Collective Soul earned almost no money from "Shine," one of the biggest alternative rock hits of the 90s when Atlantic paid almost all of their royalties to an outside production company.

"Country music legend Merle Haggard enjoyed a string of 37 top-ten country singles (including 23 #1 hits). Yet he never received a record royalty check until last year when he released an album on the indie punk-rock label Epitaph."

Anyway , I'll stop with the doom and gloom now , thanks for the responses , As you were!!:thu::thu:

Archived