Epiphone Dot mods (nearly) complete...with pics!

211dave112

• Members

Looks really good in that color, and I like the single-pickup look. Nicely done.

I think a frequensator tailpiece like this:

Frequensator-Tailpiece.jpg

would look better than that one, but what do I know? I'm just a dick posting on a guitar forum.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The F-hole fill looks fantastic! And GREAT color choice. I like it
:thu:

thankyou. i agree with you on a lot of your posts on here :thu:

guys, i know the the neck p'up fill in is not perfect but it doesn't bother me, i'm not a perfectionist (my downfall perhaps) so i'm happy with it. and the amount/way my gigs go mean any dings/scratches will soon render the slight sinkage of the filler obsolete!

:thu:

• Members

Dude, nice idea but the neck pickup fill is not the best work.

You probably haven't realized this yet, but you basically hermetically sealed the guitars electronics/pickups in there. Hope you never want/need to change them and if it's an Epiphone and has never changed you WILL need to at some point.

Never heard of anyone fishing out electronics from the top F-hole. Keep your fingers crossed you never need to go back in there.

• Members

added a rear access plate, like on the es-333's, I was sick of fishing electronics through f-holes and this guitar will at some point have some onboard effects so and they wouldn't have fitted through the f-holes.

haven't got my camera charged but this is what it looks like (this is a standard es 333)

3370818109_ffe15fdaa8.jpg

• Members

I have a feeling you weren't trying to create a museum piece, so ignore the detractors. That thing looks like it means business. I think a pickguard without a gap for the pickup will go a long way to not calling out the filler.

If anybody points it out to your face tell 'em you reserved that spot for a sustainer pickup someday. :D

• Members

Who's work of art is that guitar? Looks like a dot studio but a 12th fret inlay? Black Schaller fine tuning tailpiece? (I've been looking for one of these in black for decadesssss) and EMGs. Tight and I want to find out who owns it as it looks a dream!

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a black Gibson TP-6 tailpiece which I didn't think existed... as far as I know TP-6's only come in chrome or gold.

3490366590_7d04980ef1_o.jpg

• Members

If you like it, it is great. Nice color

However, I don't understand why you removed the neck pickup and the tone controls. Couldn't you just have used the pickup selector switch to use only the bridge pup?

Personally, I love the sound of the neck pickup on a 335. I could own one without a bridge pup, but never without the neck. But that could just be me.

• Members

Who's work of art is that guitar? Looks like a dot studio but a 12th fret inlay? Black Schaller fine tuning tailpiece? (I've been looking for one of these in black for decadesssss) and EMGs. Tight and I want to find out who owns it as it looks a dream!

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a black Gibson TP-6 tailpiece which I didn't think existed... as far as I know TP-6's only come in chrome or gold.

it's a one-off custom epi prototype made for former Static-X guitarist Tripp Eisen.

trippeisen.jpg

also has a locking nut.

this pic is from 2001, the guitar was made in 2003 so i'm guessing someone had to have made a black TP-6 before the gibson/epiphone custom shop did.

• Members

Thanks for that info. Never knew there was a division of Gibson that made custom prototypes but in the Epiphone family.

Definitely sweet and that is probably the only TP-6 I have ever seen in black. I managed to aquire a black Schaller fine-tuner tailpiece but it was equally as hard to find and I wish I could find a few more.

it's a one-off custom epi prototype made for former Static-X guitarist Tripp Eisen.

trippeisen.jpg

this pic is from 2001, the guitar was made in 2003 so i'm guessing
someone
had to have made a black TP-6 before the gibson/epiphone custom shop did.

Archived