Epiphone Dot mods (nearly) complete...with pics!

211dave112

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
3490366590_7d04980ef1_o.jpg

I never get tired of that...

Both that and what the OP did to his gives me ideas...

combined with GreatDane's blacktop LP thread....

Makes me want to go buy a Epi dot studio, fill the f holes, and do a blacktop finish. mmmmm

• Members

Fantastic finish. Just get a new pickguard that would have a straight line at the top.

Y'know what I mean... the one without the little cutout to allow some space where previously the pickup was. That way, the pickup cavity fill wouldn't look too obvious.

I'm confusing myself.

• Members
I never get tired of that...

Both that and what the OP did to his gives me ideas...

combined with GreatDane's blacktop LP thread....

Makes me want to go buy a Epi dot studio, fill the f holes, and do a blacktop finish. mmmmm

wouldn't it be easier to just start with an Epi Lucille and sand the sides and back?

:lol:

• Members

Why not just cut a pickguard similar to the original without the neck pickup indent? If you make it as big as you're intending, it'll cover all the hard work you did to fill in the neck pickup.

Cuz you can still see the pickup shape under the wood. The reason the pickguard needs to cover the hard work he did, is because it looks like the block of wood or whatever he used to fill the cavity wasn't the correct size and sunk a bit leaving that impression of the pickup cavity, and precisely why you'd want to cover it with pickguard material as it looks hideous as-is.

• Members
Cuz you can still see the pickup shape under the wood. The reason the pickguard needs to cover the hard work he did, is because it looks like the block of wood or whatever he used to fill the cavity wasn't the correct size and sunk a bit leaving that impression of the pickup cavity, and precisely why you'd want to cover it with pickguard material as it looks hideous as-is.

i'm just gonna cut a pickguard the same size and shape as the usual but without the indent for a neck pickup.

i'm pretty sure that 99% of people would not class the result as hideous. :facepalm:

at the end of the day i'm a player, i don't really care about perfection when it comes to looks of a guitar. It will not affect the songs i write, how i play, or if i pull after the gig.

• Members

I love the color, but I just don't like the looks of an ES335 with one pickup. It just looks like something's missing (obviously). A different pickguard might help though. That pickguard, just makes the missing pickup even more obvious. You certainly have achieved a different look, and if you like it, cool.:thu:

• Members

I guess some people are different we can leave it at that. If I bought a guitar like that (and yes I have once before on Ebay where the seller didn't have good pictures or disclose he filled in the cavity and it looked like ass where you can see the pickup cavity filled in) I would never feel right playing it as it would bug the hell out of me. I sold the guitar after a week and sold it for a loss as I was forthcoming on how some dip {censored} filled in the neck pickup of a Charvel Model 5 rendering it into a $200 POS instead of the $500+ guitar it should have been.

• Members
I guess some people are different we can leave it at that. If I bought a guitar like that (and yes I have once before on Ebay where the seller didn't have good pictures or disclose he filled in the cavity and it looked like ass where you can see the pickup cavity filled in) I would never feel right playing it as it would bug the hell out of me. I sold the guitar after a week and sold it for a loss as I was forthcoming on how some dip {censored} filled in the neck pickup of a Charvel Model 5 rendering it into a $200 POS instead of the $500+ guitar it should have been.

we can agree to be different :thu:

if most people read the first post i did say that a new pickguard is on it's way! :wave:

• Members
we can agree to be different
:thu:

if most people read the first post i did say that a new pickguard is on it's way!
:wave:

Reading more than the first few words of the first post is way to much work :rolleyes:

Especially if there are pictures in said post.

• Members

Reading more than the first few words of the first post is way to much work
:rolleyes:

Especially if there are pictures in said post.

Yeah. This thread reminds me of the guy that scalloped that rosewood fretboard with a butterknife or a spoon.

• Members

Are we talking about Guitarmike or whatever his username is?

'cause that's a very special case I think.
:facepalm:

I forget who it was but I still get nightmares over that vision of that butchered fretboard....

• Members

i think my mod's are very different to his. i clearly don't have a 'butchered' guitar.

I agree. if down the line that neck pup route bugged you, it wouldn't be that hard to fix it. I would be embarrassed to take that poor strat of Guitarmike's in public (and that's saying something). But I'd gig that dot in a heartbeat. Well, I'd rewire it so it had a tone control, but that's just me haha

Now my question is, why a humbucker sized P90? This would have been a good opportunity to fill the old route and make a new one for a regular P90.

I would like that more I think, but I don't have a router myself, so I couldn't do it if this was my project.

Archived