New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Members
how's this for a heckuva a bondo job
;)

set neck is completed, wood filled, primed and looked rather smooth to me...

dcam3617pl8.jpg

You didn't address the area I was thinking would suck, and that's the big old step of a neck heel.. The bondo job *I* had in mind would have smoothed that heel out like a neck through.. A FAT neck through, but still smooth.. All you've done is bondo over the cracks.. I'm sure it's what you want, and for that I give you a :thu:, but that's not how *I* would have approached it..

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You didn't address the area I was thinking would suck, and that's the big old step of a neck heel.. The bondo job *I* had in mind would have smoothed that heel out like a neck through.. A FAT neck through, but still smooth.. All you've done is bondo over the cracks.. I'm sure it's what you want, and for that I give you a
:thu:
, but that's not how *I* would have approached it..

oh i get you now... i guess i didn't understand what you were implying, but now i do...

maybe for future builds i will address that and do something a little different with the heel.

but you are correct, all i was going for were smooth transitions over the joint cracks.

• Members
I know this wasnt the effect you were looking for, but I actually like the way it turned out. It is unique looking, and looks like you may have intended it to look like this, If we didnt know any better. It has a cool subdued subtle effect that doesnt slap you in the face. I would be happy with that result even if it wasnt what I initially had in mind. I would personally like to see a much deeper gloss clearcoat on it though, but that is just a personal thing with this for me.

Thanks Dave. I actually told myself that at first. The problem is that it isn't stable...keeps fading like blue jeans. After that last post I had a "duh" moment...the water based finish must be the culprit. Microscopic dye particles were probably lifted out of the grain during clearcoating...(I even remember blue suds during wet-sanding :rolleyes:)

Anyway, it actually is a mirror finish (note some reflections in the lower left). There is also a flaw near the neck joint where glue prevented the dye from penetrating the wood. :rolleyes: There also is a neck angle issue. :facepalm: So the whole thing requires a neck re-set. :mad: It's a big fat future project. :cry: They say everyone's first guitar is a learning experience, that's no lie. :o

OKAY enough of that...back to waterdrop finishing. :snax: Guitarnoobie, commence painting. :snax:

• Members
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Dammit, I got deprived of 24 hours of this place, now you're holdin out on me!

Need fun educational, entertaining build thread to follow!

:poke:
:cop:
:poke:

it's all good my brother... major paint progress and pics tomorrow :thu:

i felt like i lost a girlfriend when this site was down for more than 24 hours :confused::freak::facepalm:

:lol:

• Members
it's all good my brother... major paint progress and pics tomorrow

i felt like i lost a girlfriend when this site was down for more than 24 hours
:confused::freak::facepalm:

:lol:

I actually contacted BOL777 and Aliensporebomb through Myspace and the Ibanez forum to see if they knew WTF was up. It was crazy.
I missed this place. It's kinda sad actually.

• Members

i am beginning to wonder how well these two colors are gonna work together. first attempt at a test didn't work to well, but i wasn't using enamel paint...

this time i am using enamel and the black paint appears to be separating and kinda cracking on top of the water :confused:

i'm gonna try another test strip with a different black enamel paint i have in my collection...

dcam3641zt8.jpg

i'm about ready to lay down the silver paint on this thing, but i would like to see a test piece of wood look good :mad:

• Members

think i might have it worked out...

the cheapie black enamel, almost no-name brand seems to work best...

i believe i got this stuff at home depot, better go buy another can or two...

this test strip already looks better... the spray from this black enamel seems to work best ! :thu:

dcam3645zp4.jpg

as you can see the paint built up where it should and looks good so far...

dcam3644kx1.jpg

i'm gonna go ahead and hit the guitar with silver paint :thu:

• Members
very nice, its coming out great ...

thanks SuperMan !!!

and here's my final updates for the evening... the front looks as nice as the back, but the lighting in my garage will not allow me to capture it....

dcam3662fv6.jpg
dcam3668bx0.jpg
dcam3670yr3.jpg

looks like i got some spots on my camera lense too... time to clean it !!!

Archived