New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well i finished sanding the wood filler and added just a few touch up spots. once that is dry i can sand it and probably get some primer on her tonight. depends on the dry time for the wood filler, which was applied lightly so that should help...

beer kegerator is up and running on 3 kegs. well holding pressure. First two beers go in on Saturday, woohoo !!!

and the piece of test wood i did with the black drops did not turn out. it wasn't until i got home tonight and read the rattle can. in small print on the back acrylic lacquer :facepalm: i knew i needed enamel and did not pay attention to what i grabbed... :facepalm:

re-doing that test tonight... :thu:

• Members

Well I gave in to temptation tonight, and went at that bass body with some w/d paper and some water. Seemed to level out really nice, but I was being very careful. Once I got it nice and milky, and wiped down to see that it was leveled, I grabbed some polishing compound and went after it, I was nervous doing this, and I kept seeing some fine lines and stuff forming, so I kinda nicked it with my fingernail to see if it was still soft, and of course it was!!!! I knew I should have waited longer, but no big deal, I'll give it some more time to cure now that its thinner :) and then it will be back to the polishing compound to take care of the stuff I just put into it. I cant take pics for crap, and the ones I just took dont really show much of anything, so they're not really useful.

• Members
Well I gave in to temptation tonight, and went at that bass body with some w/d paper and some water. Seemed to level out really nice, but I was being very careful. Once I got it nice and milky, and wiped down to see that it was leveled, I grabbed some polishing compound and went after it, I was nervous doing this, and I kept seeing some fine lines and stuff forming, so I kinda nicked it with my fingernail to see if it was still soft, and of course it was!!!! I knew I should have waited longer, but no big deal, I'll give it some more time to cure now that its thinner
:)
and then it will be back to the polishing compound to take care of the stuff I just put into it. I cant take pics for crap, and the ones I just took dont really show much of anything, so they're not really useful.

yea, just wait it out a little longer. it's worth the wait at the end :thu:

i had to learn more patience in this area too, it's the hardest thing to do.

• Members

lastest update...

the wood filler work is done... i found one tiny imperfection and put a very thin layer of filler on it. should be dry and sanded within about 20 mins...

might just get some primer on tonight, we'll see i still have to tape up the neck...

anyway here's what i got so far...

dcam3506yz7.jpg
dcam3507uc8.jpg
dcam3508oq6.jpg
dcam3512kb5.jpg

and here's the latest test of black drops on silver... we'll see what that one looks like in the AM...

dcam3503vm9.jpg

• Members

cool, glad your back online...

i should be working on both of my projects this evening, but worked kicked my ass this week apparently, cuz i'm tired...

so far, since i got off work i'm just sitting on the couch drinking some cold ones...

Hopefully after a few cold ones and some tunes, you'll be motivated to get workin'.:poke::poke:

• Members

Yes he has, and he was very impressed. He is also very impatient. He is actually playing with someone else now after our band imploded, and has been borrowing a bass from the guitar player he is playing with. So, he really wants to have his bass back so he can quit borrowing one. But I dont want to rush it and screw something up. I did do something that may be a problem already though. I was putting the pickups back into it, and the pickup cavities are a little bit tighter than they were due to paint buildup, (mine and the last guys) I had to press the pickup in there, it was a very tight fit!. BUT in my haste, I put the wrong pickup in the neck position, and I think I'll have a BIG problem trying to dig it back out of the cavity without marring the new paint. Unfortunately my multimeter isnt working so I couldnt check em out to see if they read differently, I guess Im hoping that they are the same pickups and not neck/bridge designation.

• Members

Yes he has, and he was very impressed. He is also very impatient. He is actually playing with someone else now after our band imploded, and has been borrowing a bass from the guitar player he is playing with. So, he really wants to have his bass back so he can quit borrowing one. But I dont want to rush it and screw something up. I did do something that may be a problem already though. I was putting the pickups back into it, and the pickup cavities are a little bit tighter than they were due to paint buildup, (mine and the last guys) I had to press the pickup in there, it was a very tight fit!. BUT in my haste, I put the wrong pickup in the neck position, and I think I'll have a BIG problem trying to dig it back out of the cavity without marring the new paint. Unfortunately my multimeter isnt working so I couldnt check em out to see if they read differently, I guess Im hoping that they are the same pickups and not neck/bridge designation.

tune your walkman radio in between two AM radio stations till all you hear is the white noise between stations,,,,then put the ear buds next to each pickup, the pickups will hear the earbuds and play the white noise out your amp,,,if the pickups are very different in tone the white noise will sound different through each pickup... , but if their close in tone then it will be hard to tell...if you got a frequency spectrum analyzer that helps too....lol...hmmm...probably easier to just borrow a ohm meter from someone ... :lol:

Archived