New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get the same way when it comes to rebuilding , repairing , or moding my guitars....I get so far and then i feel like a need to step away from it for awhile and take a break from it ..... i find that sometimes if I push to hard i run the risk of making mistakes..(and i get bored of doing the same thing for too long too) ....I got an old Kay sitting disassembled for nearly three years , and a strat copy apart and waiting for refrets for almost a year...

im almost finished repairing a epiphone les paul special bass that had its head stock sheared off between the first and second frets.....and i just finished re-freting another strat copy and that only took two years to finally get around to finishing...lol...man its a good thing i dont do it for a living eh .... he he he :lol: ...

• Members

I'm interested in seeing it too. I'm so glad OP started this thread. I think the water drop finish will be a winter project with my MIM strat. I got the lil' killers pickup set for it and the super strat wiring kit and pickguard. The water drop finish would look so cool imo.

Keep posting those progress pics.

• Members
I'm interested in seeing it too. I'm so glad OP started this thread. I think the water drop finish will be a winter project with my MIM strat. I got the lil' killers pickup set for it and the super strat wiring kit and pickguard. The water drop finish would look so cool imo.

Keep posting those progress pics.

look to the beginning of the thread for the gold and black test strip i did. that was done with enamel paint and it's the way the water droplet effect should look...

gonna make some more progress today guys, throwing on some old clothes and getting after it soon :thu:

• Members

i have kinda taken a little break from this project and my purple Grizzly kit project. i have been busy at work and have had people over to my house for brewing and partying several times (more frequently than usual), but still i have slacked a little on the projects...

today is a new day and i plan to get busy again today. the weather is great today, mowed the lawn and worked on the house yesterday. i kinda feel like a little guitar project work today
;)

i used the wrong base paint, it's an acrylic and i don't think it looks very good.

i need to go get enamel paint and will try another test strip after i do that...

but if you really wanna see it, here it is. if it came out on the guitar this way i would sand it and start over
:mad:

image1dq9.jpg

look to the beginning of the thread for the gold and black test strip i did. that was done with enamel paint and it's the way the water droplet effect should look...

gonna make some more progress today guys, throwing on some old clothes and getting after it soon
:thu:

Actually, that looks a bit like ostrich finish...

• Members

LOL, i guess it does kinda look like the moon...

:mad:

just joking...

i may or may not get to this guitar today as i am about to buff out my other project and install the hardware...

in case you guys haven't seen that one, here it is...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078705

dcam3532oh4.jpg

and tom, go get a nap and check back in later :lol::thu:

• Members

in case you guys haven't seen that one, here it is...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078705

both your threads are awesome, I followed the link and checked out the other thread, nice postings man..:thu:

noticed you were using a water based dye, i use a stuff you mix yourself on the stove, i comes in primary colors as well as pre mixed wood tones...its aniline (water based too) and each package makes a litre of dye...i store it in an empty one liter size soda bottle...

your having what seems to be good results with the product you've been using so i cant see a reason to change now, but in case you or anyone else is interested its just another option..

here is the link to the other product..

aniline water based wood dye

the premixed wood tone colors are great for hiding wood filler repairs :thu:

aniline pre-mixed wood tone dyes

56z0806g1.jpg

cheers

:)

• Members
both your threads are awesome, I followed the link and checked out the other thread, nice postings man..

noticed you were using a water based dye, i use a stuff you mix yourself on the stove, i comes in primary colors as well as pre mixed wood tones...its aniline (water based too) and each package makes a litre of dye...i store it in an empty one liter size soda bottle...

your having what seems to be good results with the product you've been using so i cant see a reason to change now, but in case you or anyone else is interested its just another option..

here is the link to the other product..

aniline water based wood dye

the premixed wood tone colors are great for hiding wood filler repairs
aniline pre-mixed wood tone dyes

56z0806g1.jpg

cheers

thanks man, i try to best to do a good job on these re-finish/build threads... :thu:

installing the hardware on the purple guitar now. but i hope to get at least one coat of primer on the V guitar tongiht, before....

i go here...

dcam3472mh3.jpg

then here...

dcam3557ej1.jpg

• Members

Aniline dyes are great, and it's been my experience that you can also mix them using alcohol as a solution base instead of water, or even shellac. The advantage of this is you can apply them to wood without fear of raising the grain, which would require further sanding. However, alcohol evaporates much faster than water, leaving you less working/blending time. Also, don't heat it on the stove! Just a few tips from an old woodkisser, but keep goin' dude! Don't stop now with the water droppage! :wave:

• Members
Also, don't heat it on the stove! Just a few tips from an old woodkisser, but keep goin' dude! Don't stop now with the water droppage!
:wave:

sorry my wording was bad,

by mixing i meant when you first get the aniline dye its a powder in a package, and the instructions tell you to add the powder to boiling water to dissolve the powder to make the dye...thats what i meant by mixing, the original making of the dye,,,,,,

after youve made the dye yes you can mix the colurs together to make any shade you want and you do that cold, no boiling needed at all,,, :)

yeah those aniline dyes are easy and great to work with, and the results you get are a deep enhanced wood grain finish...did a wood desk with them too and it came out looking great..

Tip - keep a bottle of bleach and a bottle of vinigar near by when working with aniline dyes.....if you spill some on your hands or whatever the pure bleach will clear up the dye by quickly bleaching it out, and then once the dye is cleared off quickly wipe it down with vinegar to neutralize the bleaching effect of the bleach afterwards.....

• Members
sorry my wording was bad,

by mixing i meant when you first get the aniline dye its a powder in a package, and the instructions tell you to add the powder to boiling water to dissolve the powder to make the dye...thats what i meant by mixing, the original making of the dye,,,,,,

after youve made the dye yes you can mix the colurs together to make any shade you want and you do that cold,
no boiling needed at all,,

yeah those aniline dyes are easy and great to work with, and the results you get are a deep enhanced wood grain finish...did a wood desk with them too and it came out looking great..

Tip
- keep a bottle of
bleach
and a bottle of
vinigar
near by when working with aniline dyes.....if you spill some on your hands or whatever the pure bleach will clear up the dye by quickly bleaching it out, and then once the dye is cleared off
quickly wipe it down with vinegar
to
neutralize
the bleaching effect of the bleach afterwards.....

I thought I'd chime in what little experience I have with analine dye. I did the guitar below with it. It looked like a swimming pool when it was fresh, gorgeous 3D effect. I have no 'before' pics, but it has faded noticably (I know that pic sux, but trust me). :cry: I don't have any idea why this happened. Maybe I'd have better luck with different clearcoat (mine is a waterbased lacquer...Crytalac maybe :confused:). Anyway, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also, I remember when I bought the stuff that a guy at the shop told me to do the alchohol trick. That {censored} would NOT dissolve in alchohol one ioda...may as well have been sand. Hot tap water did fine...It dissolved like sugar. :thu:

DSC_0148.jpg

BTW Guitarnoobie that purple looks awesome. :love: I expect beautiful no-flash pics when you're done. :cop:

• Members

so after finishing up my grizzly guitar today and rockin it out for a while, :rawk:

i came back to this project. the joints where the neck meets the body needed just a bit more wood filler. i kinda over did it, but it sands out very easy, so when this joint is done and painted it should be seamless looking...

here's the latest...

dcam3615uw6.jpg

dcam3616ss0.jpg

another coat of primer after i sand this down and it will be time for paint :thu:

• Members

I thought I'd chime in what little experience I have with analine dye. I did the guitar below with it. It looked like a swimming pool when it was fresh, gorgeous 3D effect. I have no 'before' pics, but it has faded noticably (I know that pic sux, but trust me).
:cry:
I don't have any idea why this happened. Maybe I'd have better luck with different clearcoat (mine is a waterbased lacquer...Crytalac maybe
:confused:
). Anyway, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also, I remember when I bought the stuff that a guy at the shop told me to do the alchohol trick. That {censored} would NOT dissolve in alchohol one ioda...may as well have been sand. Hot tap water did fine...It dissolved like sugar.

DSC_0148.jpg

BTW Guitarnoobie that purple looks awesome.
:love:
I expect beautiful no-flash pics when you're done.
:cop:

I know this wasnt the effect you were looking for, but I actually like the way it turned out. It is unique looking, and looks like you may have intended it to look like this, If we didnt know any better. It has a cool subdued subtle effect that doesnt slap you in the face. I would be happy with that result even if it wasnt what I initially had in mind. I would personally like to see a much deeper gloss clearcoat on it though, but that is just a personal thing with this for me.

• Members
So far, I ain't feelin this one.. It's a bolt on, that's gonna get glued.. For what purpose? Just the visual? Gonna hafta be one heckuva bondo job to make that look good..

how's this for a heckuva a bondo job ;)

set neck is completed, wood filled, primed and looked rather smooth to me...

dcam3617pl8.jpg
dcam3618bq8.jpg
dcam3620pt4.jpg

almost ready for paint :thu:

Archived