New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Noice!

thanks

i am experimenting with the new paint now...

here's the silver laid down. in 30 mins i will go spray black water drops...

btw, the silver on the guitar should be the same shade. the reason it's not on this scrap piece of wood is because there is no sealer on the {censored} wood...

dcam3487jw4.jpg

• Members

here it what a little sanding can do... 320 grit used lightly for shaping... need a little more touch up on this side and its good for primer...

dcam3489vd9.jpg

and here's the experiment, black on silver, I LIKE IT !!!!

dcam3490om3.jpg

a photo of the dried water drop effect tomorrow. by the looks of that biggest drop, it will take 8 hours to dry...

• Members

some tips,

- if you cut a square shape out of that flexible plastic they use for margarine container lids , its good for backing your sand paper to sand the wood filler flat...

its flexible enough to nicely follow the shape of the guitar but stiff enough to to bring down the wood filler so its nice and flat and level to the surrounding area,,,if you just use your fingers alone to back the paper, you fingers tend to ride over the filler or end up sanding deeper into the softer filler than the surrounding wood, and you end up with slight groves or valleys in the filler area. You dont get as flat a surface as you do if you back up your paper with the firm yet flexible piece of plastic ,,,

the flexible plastic margarine lid works just right, not to mushy, and not so hard that it cant follow the overall shape of the guitar..I find sponges to be too mushy and they like fingers tend to sand through the finish at edges and corners... :thu:

- if your gonna wet sand and polish the final finish , Meguiares swirl remover works great after a final sanding of 2000 grit...if you cant find swirl remover then Meguiars scratch X is also very good for removing swirls and produces a mirror finish....

Meguiars polishes

link to swirl remover aprox 11 dollars

link to Scratch X aprox 11 dollars

Stew Mac polishes

Stew mack swirl remover link aprox 20 dollars

just some things that seemed to work out well for me in the past..

also - i wouldnt recomend it if your not used to using one or have never used one before, but a scraper can be gently used to take off most of the excess wood filler, and then use the sand paper for the final smoothing...but like I said if your not used to using a wood scraper then its best not to use it since if used wrong or badly it can gouge into your wood and and then your screwed.....but it does save time when used correctly...

Wood Scrapers

stew mac scrapers link

Lee Vallley scrapers link

:)

• Members
some tips,

- if you cut a square shape out of that flexible plastic they use for margarine container lids , its good for backing your sand paper to sand the wood filler flat...

its flexible enough to nicely follow the shape of the guitar but stiff enough to to bring down the wood filler so its nice and flat and level to the surrounding area,,,if you just use your fingers alone to back the paper, you fingers tend to ride over the filler or end up sanding deeper into the softer filler than the surrounding wood, and you end up with slight groves or valleys in the filler area. You dont get as flat a surface as you do if you back up your paper with the firm yet flexible piece of plastic ,,,

the flexible plastic margarine lid works just right, not to mushy, and not so hard that it cant follow the overall shape of the guitar..I find sponges to be too mushy and they like fingers tend to sand through the finish at edges and corners...
:thu:

- if your gonna wet sand and polish the final finish , Meguiares swirl remover works great after a final sanding of 2000 grit...if you cant find swirl remover then Meguiars scratch X is also very good for removing swirls and produces a mirror finish....

Meguiars polishes

link to swirl remover
aprox 11 dollars

link to Scratch X
aprox 11 dollars

Stew Mac polishes

Stew mack swirl remover link
aprox 20 dollars

just some things that seemed to work out well for me in the past..

:)

dude, i am so there with you... i have a rubber sanding block that will be used on the back of the body on the neck pocket... it blends nicely into the overall shape...

and the meguiars swirl remover rocks, my first choice in buffing !!! :thu:

been there done that, but i appreciate the thought for sure !!!! :thu:

• Members

Is that an extra thick piece of rosewood fretboard, or is it an optical illusion?

you made me run around the house and look at all of them...

this particular board is on the thick side, very comparable to my Gibsons, believe it or not... all my other rosewood fretboards in the house are less thick than this one... :love:

EDIT: but now that i look closer you can really see the fret ends, not so pretty. i am gonna have to learn how to file fret ends in this thread...

• Members

thought id might as well post a video of how to sharpen a scraper since i mention the two brands of wood scrapers in my last post,,,in case anyone is interested :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUi8Nm6_Jg&NR=1 (sharpening a scraper)

the best demo that ive seen on how to use a scraper, was on a old epsode of old yankee wood shop with norm abrams.....

back on topic, yes i agree so far so good , keep up the good work,,,and work faster we cant wait to see it completed...lol..:lol:

just kidding, take your time and do it right...haste makes waste..;)

• Members
you'll be up one in the karma win-loss record...

good dead you did, now when you gonna do one for you ???
:thu:

I have a Koa neck with a Pau Ferro fretboard that I bought from Warmoth in like 2000 or 2001, I'd like to build myself a San Dimas style, single bucker, floyd guitar, but I'd like to have a nice tiger striped top, not somthing I'd like to try and do just yet.

Archived