New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Members

i really think the solution is to find a way to sit the guitar flat without touching anything to the surface. in otherwords, use the cavities or strap pins or even a tuner hole if necessary...

I think that's the key. You can take four dowel rods (1/4" or 3/8") and whittle down the ends to points. Stick two in the far ends of the outside tuner holes and two into the far ends of the outside string guide holes and use it like a guitar table. Make sure you tie some string around all (4) legs at the bottom so that none can kick out, in other words they'll all be held in tension. It should be able to be reversed to the front as well.

dcam3688hu1.jpg

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Silver Surfer away. The drops, no beads of water are beginning to form in my mind. It's going to be great.

well in reality the drops are probably 3-5 days away. i put on two more coats of silver today, making 4 in total. i wanna wet sand again and apply two more before applying a clear (before the drops).

the clear will need to dry a couple days before i attempt the drops, so maybe by the end of the weekend we will get our first look at the wet look :thu:

and thanks man, i hope she turns out like i have planned ;)

• Members
I think that's the key. You can take four dowel rods (1/4" or 3/8") and whittle down the ends to points. Stick two in the far ends of the outside tuner holes and two into the far ends of the outside string guide holes and use it like a guitar table. Make sure you tie some string around all (4) legs at the bottom so that none can kick out, in other words they'll all be held in tension. It should be able to be reversed to the front as well.

dcam3688hu1.jpg

i agree !!!

• Members

whoa... i just checked out your PRS type build. amazing work. i think you finally inspired me to start refinishing one of my cheapies. ive done refinishing before but you gave me a great idea for a paint job. keep up the great work :thu::snax:

• Members
whoa... i just checked out your PRS type build. amazing work. i think you finally inspired me to start refinishing one of my cheapies. ive done refinishing before but you gave me a great idea for a paint job. keep up the great work
:thu::snax:

thanks Sypher...

glad i helped inspire you to start working on a refinish. take you time and be patient, that's the hardest part...

what kinda paint job are you going for ???

anyway, sorry guys i came home from work and passed out on the couch after dinner. made no progress tonight, but tomorrow is a new day :thu:

• Members

work continues today...

wet sanding the silver with 400 grit now... when done another couple of coats of silver will be applied. total paint used will be 3 rattle cans of silver.

i think that will do it on the paint.

i am finding that this silver scratches very easily and needs at least 24 hours to dry before sanding. So best i can get done today is the last 2 coats of paint.

after 24 hours, maybe tomorrow, maybe not, i will do one final wet sand to the paint in preparation for some clear.

but tomorrow i got football, nascar, fantasy football, keg beer, etc..., so the wet sanding and clear may not be addressed until monday or tuesday. so in otherwords, the black water drops will probably not be painted until mid next week or so...

• Members

since i am gonna apply clear before doing the water drop effect i have another test strip going. laid down the silver and a couple coats of clear. in a couple hours i will wet sand the clear lightly and see what the black drops look like on top of it...

one more coat of silver in an hour and that should do it on the base coat of paint :thu:

• Members

my test strip is giving me a little trouble...

i applied some of my deft clear, waited almost an hour and lightly wet sanded the clear. the water drops had a very irregular shape, in otherwords is was not beading up in round cirlcles.

i probably tried to do it too quick, we'll see. anyway, i wiped off the water and sanded it rougher, with 320 grit dry... my hopes were the rougher the surface the better the beading would be. still didn't work right...

so now i have started over, because it was becoming apparent i was sanding all the way through the clear. if this deft will not do what i want, i may try some acrylic clear to see how it responds, but so far i am not impressed with what i was seeing.

i am also gonna wait longer this time, since the guitar is now painted and i need to wait 24 hours for it to dry. might as well spend my time on the test strip to see what works best :thu:

• Members

Just a thought:

Doesn't the water drop effect need to be done on enamel? The dude in the video was adamant about that. If you spray non-enamel clear you'd be clearly violating the premise. If you are hell bent on doing a clear layer, I certainly recommend doing on a test sample first. My two cents. :wave:

• Members

well i am glad i decided to do some more test strips before trying to clear coat the guitar and add the effect...

first set of pics, silver and clear down with water beads...

deft clear coat:
dcam3703kz7.jpg

duplicolor acrylic lacquer:
dcam3705hs3.jpg

obviously the water beads on the acrylic lacquer are much better than the deft...

next pics are after black enamel is sprayed...

deft:
dcam3710sa7.jpg

duplicolor:
dcam3711wv2.jpg

the paint even stays in place on top of the lacquer better instead of spreading out so much as it has done on the deft...

so i have decided the duplicolor acrylic lacquer is the way to go. and after i get the water drop effect i am gonna clear coat again prior to painting a burst on the edges.

so my question to you experts is this:

should i just use the acrylic lacquer from beginning to end, or could i use the deft as a final clear coat when all the paint has been applied? my guess is i should just go ahead and stick with the lacquer...

comments and advice are appreciated on this....

• Members
Just a thought:

Doesn't the water drop effect need to be done on enamel? The dude in the video was adamant about that. If you spray non-enamel clear you'd be clearly violating the premise. If you are hell bent on doing a clear layer, I certainly recommend doing on a test sample first. My two cents.
:wave:

was writing my last post as you responded...

need advice...

• Members
I think you have the right idea. If you want Deft as the final coating, I'd see how it behaves on the acrylic sample first.
:idk:

i really like how the deft sprays, flows and finishes off and i would like to use it as my final coat...

but i guess your right i could always test it to see how it reacts...

• Members

I do my fair share of painting...mainly cars and bikes, but some guitars. Usually it is bad to change between types of paint (acrylic to lacquer or poly), but as someone mentioned I'd check the manufacturer and see if they have a FAQ. I only use automotive paint so there are always instructions and caveats, although there are ways around them, but then you are on your own. I like the idea of a clear between the silver ( do hat all the time with an intercoat clear,) but what about just doing the drop effect on top of it? maybe that will work. Best of luck and nice work.

Archived