New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Members

GuitarNoobie: I have warmed up to the open-coil look on the V.

Electric Blues: If I had known that earlier I wouldn't have stripped my Squier and planned a refinish just to get a better-looking finish, but I can still use the advice on my other projects. Where do you get such high-grit sandpaper and that polish?

I buy my stuff from Micro Mark on their website. It's a hobby supply store and you can buy in small quantities. The sandpaper is is called Micromesh and the polish is Novus #2.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
ok, i think i am buying some GFS FAT PAT's for this guitar. I really like the FAT PAT's.

not sure whether to go with open black coils with chrome pickup rings or chrome covered with black pickup rings.

with a little help from KISEKAE and paint shop pro i created these two images.

which do you guys prefer?

dcam3889mock2ic8.jpgdcam3889mock1dh2.jpg

i'm kinda leaning towards the black open coils with chrome pup rings...

I like the covered ones, personally...

• Members

Man as I stated earlier................this here is my favorite BUILD TREAD. Great innovative thinking with the Paint Job Bro!

Thats what we need to see more of here! BTW what was the name of that Electronic sight were they have any wiring diagram you might need?

• Members

Man as I stated earlier................this here is my favorite BUILD TREAD. Great innovative thinking with the Paint Job Bro!

Thats what we need to see more of here! BTW what was the name of that Electronic sight were they have any wiring diagram you might need?

Seymour Duncan has a bunch : http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

More here:http://deaf-eddie.net/

• Members

The most important thing is for it to gas out perfectly and harden. That way, when you do the final sanding and polishing, you won't run into any problems.

A lot depends on the weather. If it's dry and warm, it'll dry faster.

My only worry though is that since you used a few different products, you should a bit longer in case they are still interacting. Two weeks should do it but a month will be better.

• Members

Links to materials suggested by members

Micro Marks web site ....sand papers

Micro Marks website ...... polish

Micro mark website ..... polish Kit

Novus polish website

thanks for the tips on the resources, gonna book mark them :thu:

oh almost forgot, cant make up my mind , i like both pickups black or chome look good to me :)

• Members

The most important thing is for it to gas out perfectly and harden. That way, when you do the final sanding and polishing, you won't run into any problems.

A lot depends on the weather. If it's dry and warm, it'll dry faster.

My only worry though is that since you used a few different products, you should a bit longer in case they are still interacting. Two weeks should do it but a month will be better.

hmm, well maybe i will wait a little longer.

don't wanna mess up what i have...

• Members

I agree with waiting. After all the hard work you did on the paint (and repainting some spots), why take a risk? I don't think there's a chance of your thread falling off to page three and beyond. Lots of us have it marked and more people seem to sign on from time to time.

I like the additional bits showing the polishing job you did on that black hollow body. Wow that is nice!

Oh, and were you planning on using trim rings around the pickups? The mock-up picture shows chrome rings around the pickups. They look too wide and, I think, take away from the looks of everything else. You worked really hard to get the paint to look so cool, you should let the paint work have the spotlight. I know it's hard to keep from adding and adding because you get all sorts of ideas as you go, but this is a work of art and overdoing things wouldn't do the work justice. Just my .04 on that.

• Members

I agree with waiting. After all the hard work you did on the paint (and repainting some spots), why take a risk? I don't think there's a chance of your thread falling off to page three and beyond. Lots of us have it marked and more people seem to sign on from time to time.

I like the additional bits showing the polishing job you did on that black hollow body. Wow that is nice!

Oh, and were you planning on using trim rings around the pickups? The mock-up picture shows chrome rings around the pickups. They look too wide and, I think, take away from the looks of everything else. You worked really hard to get the paint to look so cool, you should let the paint work have the spotlight. I know it's hard to keep from adding and adding because you get all sorts of ideas as you go, but this is a work of art and overdoing things wouldn't do the work justice. Just my .04 on that.

the black hollow body is not my work...

the pickups and rings are not scaled perfectly... the pups and rings in the pictures are a little too big for the guitar body most likely...

• Members
guitarnoobie, I vote with letting that cure extra. Good things come to those who wait.
:cop:

And since you (and the rest of us) are waiting, just go ahead start that snakeskin finish thread. :poke:...go on now...

:D

yea, i plan to start on that soon...

not sure exactly when yet... saturday is brew day and that takes most of the day...

so i will start it sometime soon...

Archived