New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Now let's talk about polishing techniques!!!

Micro mesh sanding cloth is the "stuff". Wet sand (soapy water) starting with the 2000 grit, then 4000 and I think 6000 or 8000

should be enough. Finally a good paste polish and that V will shine like a mirror!

:eek: i've never seen sand paper above 2000 grit :eek:

what i do to buff and polish is use meguiars products. a fine cut polish and then a swirl remover with an orbital buffer...

• Members

ok, i think i am buying some GFS FAT PAT's for this guitar. I really like the FAT PAT's.

not sure whether to go with open black coils with chrome pickup rings or chrome covered with black pickup rings.

with a little help from KISEKAE and paint shop pro i created these two images.

which do you guys prefer?

dcam3889mock2ic8.jpgdcam3889mock1dh2.jpg

i'm kinda leaning towards the black open coils with chrome pup rings...

• Members
thanks Jamie....

:eek:
i've never seen sand paper above 2000 grit
:eek:

what i do to buff and polish is use meguiars products. a fine cut polish and then a swirl remover with an orbital buffer...

The 2000 grit will flaten the surface. No dips, pockets, dimples or dust pimples will be left.

4000, 6000, etc... get rid of the scratches left behind by the sandpaper you used before. Sand in one direction with one grit and then at a 90 degree angle with the next. Changes the soapy water each time yoou go up a grit so there won't be any contaminents from the grit before.

Once you get to 6000... believe me, that surface will be smooth as...well you know! After that a nice polish will take it over the top. It will look as good or better than a factory finish.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=80939

• Members
I use the micro mesh stuff myself.
:thu:
I had problems with the orbital hazing the surface...too much heat I think.

As for the pickups, I like black better. That thing would kill with an L-500 though.
:rawk:

blkchromesm.jpg

those look interesting, but a little more pricey than GFS pups...

i did look at the GFS Power Rails, but I think I like the look of the open coil better...

• Members
those look interesting, but a little more pricey than GFS pups...

i did look at the GFS Power Rails, but I think I like the look of the open coil better...

It's less than twice as much, but who needs a neck pickup? jjpistols would cover that cavity with black electrical tape or duct tape and have done with it. :lol:

• Members
It's less than twice as much, but who needs a neck pickup? jjpistols would cover that cavity with black electrical tape or duct tape and have done with it.
:lol:

how true !!! ;)

i usually play a lot on just the neck pup, but the last guitar i built (the purple quilt) sounds best on both pickups :thu:

• Members

I like the covered pick up look.

I gotta hand it to you... I would never play one of those guitars because IMHO I think they look teh stoopids, goofy pointy guitar with a goofier pointy headstock...I don't care how they sound, they look goofy to me.

but the paint job on that thang is sooo freakin awesome....It is gonna look bad ass when it's done. good job, can't wait to see it finished. hell I'd even rock that thang on stage it looks so nice.

• Members
I like the covered pick up look.

I gotta hand it to you... I would never play one of those guitars because IMHO I think they look teh stoopids, goofy pointy guitar with a goofier pointy headstock...I don't care how they sound, they look goofy to me.

but the paint job on that thang is sooo freakin awesome....It is gonna look bad ass when it's done. good job, can't wait to see it finished. hell I'd even rock that thang on stage it looks so nice.

thanks for your vote on the pickups and the vote of confidence on the guitar :thu:

• Members
ok, i think i am buying some GFS FAT PAT's for this guitar. I really like the FAT PAT's.

not sure whether to go with open black coils with chrome pickup rings or chrome covered with black pickup rings.

with a little help from KISEKAE and paint shop pro i created these two images.

which do you guys prefer?

dcam3889mock2ic8.jpgdcam3889mock1dh2.jpg

i'm kinda leaning towards the black open coils with chrome pup rings...

Oh man, this is a tough one.
They both look good.
The covered give it that, "I'm all Class baby", look, but the open gives it that "I'm here to kick ya'lls ass and ya' can't do a damn thing about it" look.

Go with the open.
With the paint it has that kick ass Raiders thing goin' on.

Only one word still, incredible.

• Members

I can't really stand open coil pickups; it looks cheap to me, but I think that the chrome ring and just black open coils looks pretty bad ass. I love chrome covers, but it kind of distracts you from the paint job. I can't believe I am saying this though....

Another thing that if you were super cool would be to get some of those covers that are completely solid and them paint them too. Lot of work and possibly look like {censored}, but it would be a couple more pages for us to read. ;)

Archived